1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My MINI Story

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:03 AM
ernesto rex
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My MINI Story

My MINI story starts in 2002 when my Dad and his Wife purchased a R50 in BGR right off the lot. It was 2006 during a visit when I got my 1st ride. Although I was in the back (they are both pretty short) I remember thinking that it was a pretty neat car. It was nine years later in 2015 when I 1st got to drive it. Dad has suggested a trip out to a local park. It was a beautiful summer day. Thoughts confirmed. It is a neat car.

It was October of last year when my Dad finally met a health problem he couldn't overcome. Their plan was to trade the MINI off on a new car for her earlier in the year but my Dad's frequent hospital stays put those plans on hold. In the end Paula (Dad's wonderful wife) decided to give me the car. She didn't think she could get much out of it (SES light issues) and the extra space in the garage would be useful. After arranging for a car transporter to haul it from the Midwest to Washington State I became Skadi's 2nd owner in January.

At 1st I felt a little uncomfortable calling myself a MINI owner since the car was just given to me. Seemed like that title needed to be earned.

Well, thanks to this forum the constant SES light is gone (vapor control solenoid was re-installed upside down) and Skadi has a new clutch (throw out bearing failure). The knowledge here and Mod MINI's YouTube channel has already saved me around $2000 in repair costs.

One last thing. The name Skadi was picked by me after making sure the car didn't already have a name. Right after the car was delivered late January we started to have a series of snowfall events in the lowlands of western Washington. It just seemed like the car brought the Midwest winter with her. Skadi is the name of a Norse goddess of winter and hunting. It just seemed to fit.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Pics?

Old 04-27-2019, 03:22 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
There are no requirements to be a “MINI Owner” and if there were, you would qualify. While I wrote a check to get mine, you were entrusted to care for a car that meant so much to your father. That earns you a higher place in the MINI universe if it were so divided.

Enjoy it and care for it as he would. The only suggestion I have for you is to let your kids drive it a little more often then you were able to. MINIs are best when shared.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:30 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
Welcome.....I'm in Western Washington also.....around the Federal Way area

Bryan

Old 04-28-2019, 02:08 PM
ernesto rex
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two pictures for you.

The little green object in the picture is a LEGO kit I bought about two years ago. And the bigger one is Skadi (of course).