1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:23 PM
JasonMa
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I'm going to try it again and see if my first attempt was an anomaly. Yours operates as I would expect it too.

Update:

Just checked it again. arrows give me previous and next song (random) displayed on my HUD. Must push "ok" to select and play that song.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the software version? About three months ago I got a software update when I had it in for a n issue with the turn signal. I hadn't transferred my music to a USB before then so I don't know how it worked before the update.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:41 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I would think since mine was built in May of this year it would have the latest software installed. Strange that the Mini steering function works in much the same way the BMW does as does the center stack controls. Not a huge deal since I usually listen to my random stuff without much changing (one great thing about thumb drives and your music...they are all good tunes - unlike regular radio). If I do need or want to skip a song, pressing the "OK' isn't a deal breaker. I just found it odd and I would have never figured it out without the salesman explaining it to me.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:14 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
I got the cheap display in my 2019 and the steering wheel buttons would skip to the next song or go back without hitting the OK button.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
I got the cheap display in my 2019 and the steering wheel buttons would skip to the next song or go back without hitting the OK button.

Hmmmm. Okay, so the specifics on my set-up are as follows. Using a thumb drive in the far right USB under the center stack. Thumb drive a Cruzer 64GB with one folder named music. That folder has additional folders for each artist (and there are many artists) with total number of songs in all folders numbering over 10,000..

Only thing I can think is my file set up is what is causing the issue (although this is the same thumb drive I used in the 2015 w/o any issues.

Perhaps if all the songs were in one folder and not further divided by artist or all the song were just loaded to the thumb drive w/o any folder, may eliminate the issue. Just guessing.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:56 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally some good news! As I hoped, my issue was a slow update and not the car sitting at the port. Left on June 9 on a ship called Olympian Highway. Scheduled to arrive in Brunswick on June 19.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
Anyone done the free trial at marinetraffic.com? Just viewing my ship provides very limited information like the most recent port visited and next destination. Does a subscription provide additional destinations? Also, did you need to provide credit card information for the free trial? Any info. is appreciated.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dsw13
Anyone done the free trial at marinetraffic.com? Just viewing my ship provides very limited information like the most recent port visited and next destination. Does a subscription provide additional destinations? Also, did you need to provide credit card information for the free trial? Any info. is appreciated.
Personally wouldn't spend the money for the short time of use. You can try other website like vessel tracker and using a few can provide additional information. I was about the see my ships route and next port..did not provide full itinerary, but enough for me. Most ships make a couple of stops on their way to Brunswick. June 19 is pretty close....should be at your dealership within a few days of it's offload.

The following users liked this post:
dsw13 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark

Silver trim?....don't recall that option...think I went with some sort of gray option.

You probably selected the same option as I did. Think it was called "dark silver dash surface" trim. I changes the dash color and the black trim piece across the doors to a silver-ish gray..

Hmmmm................not sure I quite follow about the headlights turning on and wiper settings....i'm sure it's clearer when one has the car...

My old 2015 has the rain sensor feature (manually operated on the stalk end via a button) push the button and the sensor activates and keeps windshield clear of rain drops and also turns on the headlights

New 2019, has the rain sensor setting on the stalk. You can set it to automatic...and when it starts to rain, the wipers start (without having to manually enable the sensor like the 2015). The headlights on mine are set to "auto" and will come on when dusk. I did not notice them coming on when the auto wiper started (as it was misting this morning).....so I immediately started fiddling w/o much success. Finally got home, opened the book, made sure all the functions were set to auto and when I activated the wipers manually, there is appox a 3-4 second delay for the headlights to come on. I was jumping the gun earlier. I can only assume that when the wipers start automatically via the sensor, the headlights will click on shortly thereafter. Guess the only way to check that is to park the car with the engine running and hit the windshield with a hose.

Thanks for clarifying........

Meanwhile, since yesterday morning, on Marine Traffic site, when I hover over the button to get to Altair Leader's position it shows message 'vessel out of range'......same thing now.....odd......

Concerning since I was hoping to see when it approaches the canal, ETA still says today! at 1200......

Old 06-19-2019, 05:45 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Finally some good news! As I hoped, my issue was a slow update and not the car sitting at the port. Left on June 9 on a ship called Olympian Highway. Scheduled to arrive in Brunswick on June 19.
That's great!

Nope, just using it as is......you can see your ship's location on the map if you click the red button on little map in lower left of page labeled 'Latest Position' takes you to a full page map that you can zoom in or out.

dsw13 (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear

Silver trim?....don't recall that option...think I went with some sort of gray option.

You probably selected the same option as I did. Think it was called "dark silver dash surface" trim. I changes the dash color and the black trim piece across the doors to a silver-ish gray..

Hmmmm................not sure I quite follow about the headlights turning on and wiper settings....i'm sure it's clearer when one has the car...

My old 2015 has the rain sensor feature (manually operated on the stalk end via a button) push the button and the sensor activates and keeps windshield clear of rain drops and also turns on the headlights

New 2019, has the rain sensor setting on the stalk. You can set it to automatic...and when it starts to rain, the wipers start (without having to manually enable the sensor like the 2015). The headlights on mine are set to "auto" and will come on when dusk. I did not notice them coming on when the auto wiper started (as it was misting this morning).....so I immediately started fiddling w/o much success. Finally got home, opened the book, made sure all the functions were set to auto and when I activated the wipers manually, there is appox a 3-4 second delay for the headlights to come on. I was jumping the gun earlier. I can only assume that when the wipers start automatically via the sensor, the headlights will click on shortly thereafter. Guess the only way to check that is to park the car with the engine running and hit the windshield with a hose.

Thanks for clarifying........

Meanwhile, since yesterday morning, on Marine Traffic site, when I hover over the button to get to Altair Leader's position it shows message 'vessel out of range'......same thing now.....odd......

Concerning since I was hoping to see when it approaches the canal, ETA still says today! at 1200......
When I was tracking my 2015, I had that message come up also. Of course mine was mid-Atlantic at the time. Could be your ship is swinging more out to sea for the canal voyage (thus losing the tracking for that time). I expect you ship is still afloat and on schedule

I have to say how much I like the seats in our new Mini. They feel really good with excellent support. Wasn't sure if it would be like sitting on a pillow top or not (since these are not considered "sport" seats). I like them better than the sport seats I had in my 2015.

For anyone considering swapping out their stock wheels for aftermarkets:
Passing this along for information purposes. I needed to buy a set of "centering right" for my upcoming wheel swap (when I had my tires and wheels removed from my 2015, the centering rings were lost). Spend lots of time trying to figure out what size my Mini used (even Mini dealership couldn't help). Called Tire Rack and they had the info. You won't find the centering rings on Amazon. The I.D. diameter of the centering ring (to fit 2014-2019 MCS') is 66.56mm and then whatever the hub size of the wheel you are swapping to (in my case Enkei RPF1 which are 73mm), So my rings needed to be 73mm X 66.56mm. If you order from Tire Rack, they give you the correct rings.......

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
When I was tracking my 2015, I had that message come up also. Of course mine was mid-Atlantic at the time. Could be your ship is swinging more out to sea for the canal voyage (thus losing the tracking for that time). I expect you ship is still afloat and on schedule
I'm afraid it's lost in the Bermuda Triangle!.....would be just my luck.....

I have to say how much I like the seats in our new Mini. They feel really good with excellent support. Wasn't sure if it would be like sitting on a pillow top or not (since these are not considered "sport" seats). I like them better than the sport seats I had in my 2015.
I was able to sit in a MINI at my dealer with those seats and agree they feel very comfortable.

For anyone considering swapping out their stock wheels for aftermarkets:
Passing this along for information purposes. I needed to buy a set of "centering right" for my upcoming wheel swap (when I had my tires and wheels removed from my 2015, the centering rings were lost). Spend lots of time trying to figure out what size my Mini used (even Mini dealership couldn't help). Called Tire Rack and they had the info. You won't find the centering rings on Amazon. The I.D. diameter of the centering ring (to fit 2014-2019 MCS') is 66.56mm and then whatever the hub size of the wheel you are swapping to (in my case Enkei RPF1 which are 73mm), So my rings needed to be 73mm X 66.56mm. If you order from Tire Rack, they give you the correct rings.......

Thanks for all the info.....why changing wheels? to save weight? Aesthetics?

Just curious.......

Meanwhile, where's my ship!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear

Thanks for all the info.....why changing wheels? to save weight? Aesthetics?

Just curious.......

Meanwhile, where's my ship!

Main reason is unsprung weight saving and a noticeable boost in performance. My aftermarket wheel and tire set saved 32 lbs overall (which is a huge savings of unsprung weight). Net increase in 10WHP and 10WTQ on my 2015.

A buddy of mine is into performance and spends some big buck$ on things that will supposedly yield 5-6 HP and then he buys a set of Foose Chrome wheels that added a bunch of unsprung weight to his car. Show vs. GO!

I can feel the difference in my 2019 w/ the factory wheels compared to my 2015 w/ the aftermarkets. The 2019 does not feel as "spry" as my 2015. That of course is a temporary condition until my centering rings arrive and I can get my other wheels balanced and installed.

Here's a pix of my wheels on my 2015:

Old 06-19-2019, 07:49 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Main reason is unsprung weight saving and a noticeable boost in performance. My aftermarket wheel and tire set saved 32 lbs overall (which is a huge savings of unsprung weight). Net increase in 10WHP and 10WTQ on my 2015.

A buddy of mine is into performance and spends some big buck$ on things that will supposedly yield 5-6 HP and then he buys a set of Foose Chrome wheels that added a bunch of unsprung weight to his car. Show vs. GO!

I can feel the difference in my 2019 w/ the factory wheels compared to my 2015 w/ the aftermarkets. The 2019 does not feel as "spry" as my 2015. That of course is a temporary condition until my centering rings arrive and I can get my other wheels balanced and installed.

Here's a pix of my wheels on my 2015:

Thanks for clarifying......makes sense.....

And your wheels look great....what wheels/size are they?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
BREAKING NEWS..........

Altair Leader managed to get out of the Bermuda Triangle!

Now, map shows it about 30 miles from Panama Canal!

So, hope it see it soon on the Canal webcam!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:06 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by archimark
thanks for clarifying......makes sense.....

And your wheels look great....what wheels/size are they?
17x7.5.....

Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
17x7.5.....

Thanks for the size info...

But what wheels (company) are they?

Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
NM Engineering has wheels that doesn't require hub rings and they clear the JCW brakes without spacers.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Thanks for the size info...

But what wheels (company) are they?
They are made by Enkei. A company well associated with F1 racing.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...dClar=Cooper+S

McLearn Mercedes ran them on their F1 car...F1 teams invest thousand$ to eliminate unsprung weight and increase handling of their cars so Very good wheels are paramount.. The Enkei name comes with a very good pedigree.

I shopped for a good long time before picking these. They are the lightest (affordable) wheels available for our cars.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:16 PM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
NM Engineering has wheels that doesn't require hub rings and they clear the JCW brakes without spacers.
Thanks for sharing...

Is it just my ol' eyes, or are the rear wheels smaller than the front?

They are made by Enkei. A company well associated with F1 racing.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...dClar=Cooper+S

McLearn Mercedes ran them on their F1 car...F1 teams invest thousand$ to eliminate unsprung weight and increase handling of their cars so Very good wheels are paramount.. The Enkei name comes with a very good pedigree.

I shopped for a good long time before picking these. They are the lightest (affordable) wheels available for our cars.
Thanks for all the info!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
So, Altair Leader didn't go through Canal yesterday for some unknown reason. It sat a few miles outside of canal most of yesterday. So, of course, got up early this morning to see if it was going through and it was already about 3/4 way through on map. Tried the Canal webcam, but it was already past them. Dang!

Now, it is just near the end of Canal......

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...:9.271/zoom:16

At least it will moving on soon towards me.....

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
So, Altair Leader didn't go through Canal yesterday for some unknown reason. It sat a few miles outside of canal most of yesterday. So, of course, got up early this morning to see if it was going through and it was already about 3/4 way through on map. Tried the Canal webcam, but it was already past them. Dang!

Now, it is just near the end of Canal......

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...:9.271/zoom:16

At least it will moving on soon towards me.....
''

Great news....I can hear the excitement in your voice................

Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
''

Great news....I can hear the excitement in your voice................
Thanks!

Now, if my ol' 2004 RSX can hold up just a bit longer, I'll be alright......turned over 218K miles last week....

Old 06-20-2019, 07:56 AM
dsw13
1st Gear
A brief update for those who see this in the future and are trying to estimate the length of the voyage from Oxford to Georgia. I either misheard the MINI rep or he was mistaken, but checking marinetraffic.com I noticed right away that my ship would not be in Georgia on 6/19 but rather Baltimore, where it reached a little bit past the projected time of 6:00 pm yesterday, instead arriving between 3:00 and 4:00 this morning. Anyone know how long the vessels usually stay at any given port? I would guess less than a day but have no experience in that regard. Based on some of the other posts I've read on this forum, I'm still guessing it will hit Brunswick, Georgia in the next 2-3 days and I'll likely have her on or just before the last day of June, which was my goal all along (although with incentives what they are right now on a Justa, I might be better off taking delivery in the beginning of July).

Last edited by dsw13; 06-20-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:04 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
A brief update for those who see this in the future and are trying to estimate the length of the voyage from Oxford to Georgia. I either misheard the MINI rep or he was mistaken, but checking marinetraffic.com I noticed right away that my ship would not be in Georgia on 6/19 but rather Baltimore, where it reached a little bit past the projected time of 6:00 pm yesterday, instead arriving between 3:00 and 4:00 this morning. Anyone know how long the vessels usually stay at any given port? I would guess less than a day but have no experience in that regard. Based on some of the other posts I've read on this forum, I'm still guessing it will hit Brunswick, Georgia in the next 2-3 days and I'll likely have her on or just before the last day of June, which was my goal all along (although with incentives what they are right now on a Justa, I might be better offer taking delivery in the beginning of July).
I can only provide info on my ship's experience so far.....but it has stopped at port for quick stop and then goes on its way. Usually, leaves the same day as it arrived.

I'm assuming the cost / day for operating these large ships must be quite healthy expense. Therefore, I would think there's a big motivation by company to keep ships moving and not sit idle for very long.

Just my 2 cents....

dsw13 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:17 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
A brief update for those who see this in the future and are trying to estimate the length of the voyage from Oxford to Georgia. I either misheard the MINI rep or he was mistaken, but checking marinetraffic.com I noticed right away that my ship would not be in Georgia on 6/19 but rather Baltimore, where it reached a little bit past the projected time of 6:00 pm yesterday, instead arriving between 3:00 and 4:00 this morning. Anyone know how long the vessels usually stay at any given port? I would guess less than a day but have no experience in that regard. Based on some of the other posts I've read on this forum, I'm still guessing it will hit Brunswick, Georgia in the next 2-3 days and I'll likely have her on or just before the last day of June, which was my goal all along (although with incentives what they are right now on a Justa, I might be better offer taking delivery in the beginning of July).
My experience has been that the MA is usually right within 24 hours overall...but did not a have a clue on the ship's itinerary. Was originally quoted a 15 day delivery time from England to Brunswick and that held pretty much true (I think they were off by 24 hours). I knew the actual trans-Atlantic was less (from past orders and deliveries), but figured the extra time included ports of call (which the MA wasn't aware of).

Past experience has shown that unloading is normally done within a 24 hour window (as the Captains run a very tight schedule). The Stevedores are amazing quick too. Sometimes a port stop may be a bit longer but the ship seems to make some of that time up during travel (Warp 9 Mr. Sulu).

Can't speak to incentives as they are announced when they become effective. Could be a crap shoot as the new incentive may be less then the one you are anticipating. Then again, it could be more. My dealer said they don't know until the last minute either, so deciding on June 30 if you should take delivery or wait for July,could either save or cost you money. Much depends on how the incentive is worded. too. My $2K could not be used with any other offers, so I could not piggyback my $1k USAA on to it. If it were a $1K from Mini with no stipulation, I could get the $2K that way. Lately, every incentive seems to have stipulation attached.

There are likely to be some generous incentives to clear dealer inventories of 2019's, but on an ordered car, they kinda have you regardless.

Like Dirty Harry said "Do Ya feel Lucky?"

dsw13 (06-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Thinking of New MINI Cooper 2 Door - Cooper vs S ?