1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Mini Coopers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 05:17 PM
19TSi(!
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Mini Coopers

Hey yall, I'm glad to be here, and to meet other auto enthusiasts. I just bought my wife a 2003 Mini Cooper S almost a week ago. The poor thing spun a bearing, and there is abslolutely no glory story to tell. I've been reading a few posts here in the forums, and my ideas may annoy some of you, but please understand that I am a DSMer (don't hold it against me... LOL), so some of my ideas on restarting this little guys heart may drive you baddie.

In the past, I have used NA motors, swapped out the cams and supporting factory modds and ended up with a mildly fun zip around car. I am doing it on this little S to start. Yes... higher compression makes people cringe, and that's ok. I'm seriously thinking on using the known good top half of the S motor on the NA motor, so I maintain a good positive air flow. I am anticipating the need for a tune in the aftermath of this all. Meanwhile, my journey with the factory motor will begin in a "Galaxy far far away" from the realm of cars that I know. I'm new to superchargers, but know my way around turbo motors. My toy is a 91 Talon TSi AWD. I plan to take pictures of everything, but I suck at documenting what I do. LOL...

Wish me luck. Let the fun begin, and any thoughts/ideas are welcome. I'm not a person that likes negitivity, but I can take constructive critisism. Must be "constructive" though.

Last edited by 19TSi(!; 04-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Welcome...This sounds interesting , looking forward to some seeing and reading. Constructively of course

Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! Interesting approach. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 PM
19TSi(!
Neutral
Thanks guys. I'll be starting the engine pull this Sunday. So, with a little luck, she'll hopefully be up and running fairly soon.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:51 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM!
Got any pics to share? While you do the rebuild work, start a thread in the gen 1 area and document you work. It will us to help you too!

Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 AM
19TSi(!
Neutral
Absolutely... I'll do my best. I'm thinking it should be a fun project, and of course the wife just wishes I'd hurry up about it, and get it back on the road. Lol...

Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If there ever was a group of auto enthusiasts that appreciated modifications, it is the MINI enthusiasts. Many people do modifications that most would never attempt, but that does not mean we don't appreciate creativity. It also gives us all some ideas for us to consider.

Good luck and let the fun begin.

Keep us posted and pictures are especially appreciated. I would also like to see pictures of your Eagle Talon. I had a 1992 Talon (non-TSI) when new and loved it. I told my brother the dash was simulated elephant skin and he believed me. I never had the heart to tell him I made it up as I was telling him.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:22 AM
19TSi(!
Neutral
I will do my best to record what I have going. This should be fun, and hopefully helpful to others as well

I'll post up a couple pics of the talon for you. She's no slouch, and there's not much more I can do to her unless I decide to take her off the streets. She is a sleeper, until I pop the hood. Lol

Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 AM
19TSi(!
Neutral

isn't she a beaut... 2.3 stroker, ets intercooler, dual walbro 255hp intank fuel pumps, 2200cc injectors, custom made twin scroll manifold with a gt35r twin scroll attached to it, o/s valves, 272/272 bc cams, 3" exhaust turbo back, ecmlink, lowered 2", and a few other nicnaks. All other systems functional ie A/c, P/s, P/b, cruise control etc.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:16 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this as it's not about the compression being an issue as we have bumped compression to make big power in race engines before.

The issue comes in that the non S pistons and cranks are cast parts not forged like the S and this is where you will likely find a failure in the future especially after you raise the boost. So I would just stick with the S parts and if you want more compression order higher compression aftermarket pistons.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 PM
19TSi(!
Neutral
I understand what you're saying. This project is only a temporary fix to the current problem. Everything will be at stock/oe settings, including boost levels. If I could find a bigger pulley, to lower boost levels, I would take that route. This is just a get the car going because it's a need at this very moment. I figure under factory settings the na motor should be able capable to handle the everyday driving it has inherited. I've already got the "junkyard dog", and have gone through it. I will be putting, at minimum, a new headgasket and the S cam to help support it. When I started the project I struggled finding bearings, but could find most everything else. So I chose this way to get us by, while I work the original motor. I even have a good tuner on standby to try help prevent pre-detonation from occurring.

Don't worry guys, I am listening to everything you're telling me, and I will be using it, here in the near future, as I start the actual build of the original engone.