1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Mini Coopers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM
zo6tosv
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Mini Coopers

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say hello. I am new to Mini Coopers and in the market for one. A friend is also in the market for one.

We are from the NYC area intend to track the Minis. Most of the time they will be at Pocono Raceway and Limerock. My Cooper will also be at Moroso in WPB.

While we have owned high performance cars for years, we are not educated regarding Minis. For anyone that has tracked or tracks their Mini, we would love to get your advice. We intent to stay within the confines of the warranty, at least for now. I guess its a no brainer to opt for the sport suspensions, and limited slip diff, but there is nothing like actual experience.

We also have an open mind as to supercharged or Turbo.

To summarize here's what we have available: 2007's of course, and two 2006 JCW editions, one new (dealer asking 30K), one with 3000 miles for a little less than that (from another dealer)

We would love to hear your comments and opinions as we would like to purchase them ASAP.

We look forward to joining the Mini family and maybe riding wityh you guys.

Thanking you in advance.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
I'm not the one to answer your questions, but I can welcome you to NAM! Indeed you will have fun with MINIs at the track.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 PM
jakay11
4th Gear
Welcome to NAM...
I bought a used 06 MCS w/ 8200 mi on it... got it as a miniNEXT (CPO) so it has the extended warranty, and I liked the car better... If your looking for a DE car, the GP version might be your ticket (and still get you into BMW CCA DEs)
*FOR ME* the 07 felt softer and more refined (including how the power built-up) the 06 had the s/c kick and more go-cart-like handling... the 07 moved faster down the same on-ramp, but wasn't as involving to me, but take a back-back test drive... plenty of people like 06's better than 07s and vise-versa...

The first thing I'd do for your first DE with any Mini is get a set of non-runflat tires...
If you want to stay as street tire, I personally like PS2s but have heard good things about F1GS-D3s...

or you could go hard-core and start out on PS-cups, but I usually like to gradually move up to the aggressive tires to figure things out at slower speeds...

Also ditch the stock wheels... they weigh a ton (mini not-so-lights come in at what, 22#?) so as you already know, reducing unsprung mass helps handling *A LOT*

I've never run at Pocono, but Limerock, esp. Watkins, and Summit Pt. (main track) are somewhat bumpy and like softer suspensions, so I wouldn't tweak that yet... maybe after the first one or two DEs I'd consider a slightly larger rear roll bar, and then maybe a strut brace once I get up to DOT r comps.

Once you get up to R-comps, you'll figure out what else you want to do pretty fast.

HTH

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
pinkMINIgirl
3rd Gear
Welcome! Good luck with your decision, and I've heard "not to get the sunroof", because of the extra weight.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Welcome

Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM
valthun
4th Gear
It's a tough decision to say the least. MINI's are a blast to drive and I was able to finally get my fix by leasing one this year. I say test drive the 06 JCW's and the 07 MCS to determine which one really apeals to you. Either way you are going to get a fun car to drive. Thats kind of cool that yoru buddy is going in with you.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take them both for a drive...You'll no which one fits your **** the best!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:51 PM
zo6tosv
Neutral
Thank you all for the great welcome. Appreciate your comments and look forward to more.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 PM
zo6tosv
Neutral
Originally Posted by jakay11
Welcome to NAM...
I bought a used 06 MCS w/ 8200 mi on it... Once you get up to R-comps, you'll figure out what else you want to do pretty fast.

HTH
Jakay11,

Thanks for your input . NJ is not that far from me (Queens), if you ever have an event with mini's in the very near future we would like to attend and learn more.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to NAM - Once you drive it or them, I think you'll know which one is for you...

Donna