1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former owner considering a return

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM
another_mini_owner
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Former owner considering a return

I owned a 2008 S that I really liked, but I sold it because it was had a manual transmission and my new boyfriend couldn't drive a stick; I tried a couple different cars but there's nothing like a mini cooper, so I'm thinking about returning to the fold, but possibly with some changes:
Getting an automatic (so he can drive it)
Getting a regular, not an S.
Getting a four door (which didn't exist when I bought my 2008 car).

So I wanted to get feedback from current owners about these things. I don't particularly love driving a stick shift car, so I don't think getting the automatic will be an issue for me. But I'm wondering if I will be disappointed with a car that's not an S. The reason I'm thinking about that isn't just cost: it's because I didn't really love the run flats, and I'm thinking it would be a nicer ride with regular tires and a spare. The reason I'm interested in a four door is to make the back seat useable; I never felt like there was enough room to climb into the back with the two door. I think the four door has a slightly different size and I'm also wondering if, since the doors are smaller, if it is less comfortable to get in and out of the front seat.

I know taking a test drive will help me evaluate these concerns, and I'm thinking about doing that, but I thought I would check here with experienced mini owners.

Also, along a different topic: although the miniusa web site does not say you can custom order a mini (to get the exact configuration desired), I'm guessing that is still a possibility. Is that true? If yes, what is the typical time from ordering to delivery?

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Dump the boyfriend (or tell him to learn how to drive a stick) and get a 2011 or later S with a stick. You don't need a 4 door until/unless you have kids. You can change out the runflats for non-runflat tires plus a plug kit and compressor. In 60K miles with non-run flats I have had to use the plug kit and compressor once, it was quicker and easier than changing to a spare. Get a AAA roadside assistance plan if you're really worried.

If you're ordering new - you should be able to go to the dealer and order exactly what you want. I had to wait about 4 weeks from order to delivery, I was lucky and got the timing just right so my car left the factory and went on the ship without any waiting. Might be as long as 6 weeks, the dealer should be able to give you a better estimate.

The following users liked this post:
another_mini_owner (02-26-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:32 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
The four door MINI F55 non S has RF tires in the USA. Overall the car rides pretty smoothly with the RF's. I wouldn't stress on that. If you don't like to shift, stick with the auto which works very well in the F series cars.

Big people will not like getting into the back seats even with the 4 doors. If someone is not huge than shouldn't have a problem with the smaller doors. I have no issues getting into front or back seats in this car.

I really like both cars and the power of the S is nice, but I could easily be happy with the Justa MINI (non S).

Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Craho
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am new to the fold in a base model 2019 four door. I come from a much larger vehicle and the four door is roomier than I expected. My 11 year old doesn’t want to ride cross country in the back seat, but that probably due more to his brother than the space. All four of us were in it last night and we were fine.
I insisted on a manual so no help with talking you into an automatic.
As for performance, I like what I have. It is plenty quick for what I need.
And I had to order mine. It took me 8 weeks, but I ordered early December and the plant closed for two weeks for Christmas. It would have been 5-6 weeks without the holiday shutdown.
The only thing I wish I could have optioned was an upgrade to the stereo system. The base stereo is a little bland and not as nice as the one in our Subaru.

happy shopping. These new cars are really nice.