1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:49 PM
FyremanTFD
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Guy

Hello all. I'm new to the MINI community. I have a few questions about my '11 R56. I will first browse the search with the questions.
A little about my MINI and why I got it. I work in Tallahassee, FL, but live in Panama City Beach. So I bought it to commute in since my Silverado 3500 duelly Duramax gets about half the fuel mileage the MINI gets. I love driving it. It's really a blast to drive. I got an '11 MINI Cooper base hardtop. It is BRG with black top, mirrors, and pillars. The rest of the trim is chrome, but I'm going to slowly black that out. I put gloss black wheels in 17" on it with tires that are better for the rainy conditions I've been driving in.
It has the MINI connect, but I think the entertainment system needs a software upgrade, so I can't use most of it. I don't have a MINI dealership closer than 2 hours away, which sucks. The halogen lights are terrible in the dark. I bought LED bulbs, but they are not much better. That is one issue that I have questions about. I'll get to that after looking around for possible answers already covered.
Thanks

Old 12-02-2018, 04:11 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the MINI experience. We need some pictures....

I am always surprised by the people who can go from one of the biggest vehicles on the road to one of the smallest. I have always felt more comfortable in the smaller vehicles, however, I struggle to imagine the the transition for people like yourself. Congratulations for making the huge transition in one move and not buying something like a Buick first as a transition.

While my MINI is a different generation than yours, I was shocked at how good the stock 13 year old headlights are in my MINI. I wonder if part of your concern is related to the perspective you came from (headlights and you 3 feet higher off the ground).

Good luck with your MINI. You have a long drive - enjoy it.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:09 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Welcome! We like pictures.... hint hint. I have seen some complaints here and there about the headlight brightness, I can’t speak to that since it’s usually personal opinion on something like that. Compared to the headlights in my truck, the HID headlights in my R60 are amazing. There are a few different options though. As far as Mini connected goes..... well....it’s awful! I don’t even bother trying anymore. It may be nice on the newer ones, but in my ‘12 it’s just bad. You are better off using dash command or torque to monitor things. I find that amazon music and Spotify work great on it. Especially if you are connected through the USB and audio plug, as them the album art shows on the nav screen. I like that, but then, I am easily amused, lol. Enjoy

Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 AM
FyremanTFD
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I think I could get the MINI in the back of my truck. We have a 32' 5th wheel camper, and a boat that I pull with the truck so I can't get rid of it. I still love driving the truck, and knowing I can haul anything I want with it. I must admit that I got some ribbing when I got the MINI by some coworkers, after driving nothing but diesel trucks for so many years.
I've already put 14,000 miles on my MINI since I got it in June of this year. I use only MINI oil and filters that I buy from ECS. I was SHOCKED at the amount of oil it consumes between changes. And I'm concerned about the transmission, I know MINI says the trans uses "lifetime" lubricant, but I can't help but not trust that. I now have 96,xxx miles on it. I'm looking at having the timing chain done.
Anyway, Thanks for the welcome. I'll try and get some pics uploaded.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Is it making noise? The timing chain is one of those things that you never really know about sometimes. You could pull the valve cover and check the guides, and check your tensioner. But with no symptoms, I would not worry that much yet. The next time someone gives you crap about it, just smile...and then show them what it can really do! They’ll change their tune real fast! Lol. Hammer down on some twisties and make them squirm! And just repeat the mantra “It’s not cute, it’s mean” lol

Old 12-02-2018, 06:15 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, FryreMan!
Lots you can find out about your new to you ride. Look around this site for many answers to you questions!
Pics?