1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) R56S - Autox Prep

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:25 PM
BerkeleyJohn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) R56S - Autox Prep

I've been a Miata guy for the last half decade or so and have owned a handful of NAs and NBs. With a child on the way I needed to find something that was fun, but could fit a baby seat if needed.

I bought a 2011 Mini S about 4 months ago and am incredibly happy with the decision. While it's a bit porkier than a Miata it is still a ton of fun and I honestly can't think of a better car, at this price point, that meets the "fun but must be able to transport baby" criteria.

Current Mods:
OS Giken LSD
Ohlins Coilovers w/ Vorshalg Camber Plates
Tarett 22.8 RSB with spherical mounts
NM Engineering tune (autox legal so no Max boost increase)

New (to me) R56S - Autox Prep-0xbtm9b.jpg

Old 06-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

There is an immense amount of information here on your Gen or car here between the threads, the members and the vendors.

I had two Miatas, I consider both the R53 I had and the R52 JCW I now have better cars relative to smiles per mile.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Welcome, Great looking MINI

Looks like you already have some great mods. Are you running STX?

Let us know if we can help as we've worked with Craig Wilcox for years. And we can even do a custom tune that will be legal.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-14-2017, 08:38 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM.
Nice looking S

Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM
BerkeleyJohn
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Welcome, Great looking MINI

Looks like you already have some great mods. Are you running STX?

Let us know if we can help as we've worked with Craig Wilcox for years. And we can even do a custom tune that will be legal.
Yep - Classes STX for now, but who knows what next year holds for the Mini. Craig seems like a stand-up guy - I've asked him a few questions on facebook and he is always quick to reply and share his tips for success.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:37 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
latest news us STU which is absolutely retarded why would they stuck mini's with the STI, focus RS, M3's and 350/370Z's

Old 06-15-2017, 05:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Congrats and welcome. That cone jumped out in front of you.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
CONE KILLER!

Great looking car, very good stance, looks like minimum body sway in that turn.

Looks like the rear and front wheels and tires are different sizes by maybe an inch? But it just could be an optical illusion.

Motor On!

Old 06-17-2017, 11:49 AM
BerkeleyJohn
Neutral
Originally Posted by JABowders
CONE KILLER!

Great looking car, very good stance, looks like minimum body sway in that turn.

Looks like the rear and front wheels and tires are different sizes by maybe an inch? But it just could be an optical illusion.

Motor On!
Heh, yea, I murdered quite a few cones that day as it was my first event in the car, and first event driving a FWD car.

The wheels are 15x8 Front & 15x7 rear. I have a set of the same wheels in 9" left over from my miata that I am going to play around with...just need to pick up a set of spacers

Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM
nukular_beto
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a good location to find what class my car falls under? I did my modifications without considering motox. My 22mm rear sway bar (+camber links) probably put me out of the street classes? Other suspension mods: installed sport Konis with shorter springs and a strut tower brace. The intake is JCW but I have a regular S (2010). I added a larger intercooler, and replaced the restrictive stock piping to the IC and removed the noise maker at the intake. I have a high flow down pipe and aftermarket cat back.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:26 AM
BerkeleyJohn
Neutral
Originally Posted by nukular_beto
Is there a good location to find what class my car falls under? I did my modifications without considering motox. My 22mm rear sway bar (+camber links) probably put me out of the street classes? Other suspension mods: installed sport Konis with shorter springs and a strut tower brace. The intake is JCW but I have a regular S (2010). I added a larger intercooler, and replaced the restrictive stock piping to the IC and removed the noise maker at the intake. I have a high flow down pipe and aftermarket cat back.
One sway is allowed in street class, but the springs alone would land you into STX.

I'm unsure how the IC + downpipe would affect classing, I'd venture to say that might land you into an SP class (or even XP). Does the car have an aftermarket tune that increases boost? While those rules are likely to change before next season, as of now boost increases are not allowed in ST classes.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM
nukular_beto
1st Gear
Thanks! I have not tuned the ECU, if I do looks like I will have to make it switchable. I will not be competitive in the modified or prepared classes, which are where I think the IC puts me. So it will be just for fun.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:07 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
the intercooler puts you in a SM class for sure, even next year.

the downpipe is ok in STX as long as the furthest back cat is still within 6" of original

Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 PM
nukular_beto
1st Gear
Thanks, I looked at SM class rules. Lots of room to play with.