1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohio 2004 MCS MC40 #22

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohio 2004 MCS MC40 #22

Picked her up a couple weeks ago and have started making some tune-ups and repairs.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:46 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Checklist:
Spark plugs - Done
Spark plug wires - Done
Replace fuel cap - Done
Valve cover gasket - Done
Spark plug tube seals - Done
New fuel pump - Done
Fuel filter - Done
Cabin air filter - Done
Air Filter - Done
Clay bar/Polish/Wax - Done
Replace overflow tank
Radiator/brake fluid/power steering flush
Oil change and filter (post valve cover work) - Done
Upper motor mount - Done
T-stat and gasket
Headlight restoration - Done
Replace door brakes - Done
MC40 Decals and magnets - Done
Rear Brakes and Rotors - Done (Callahans rear brake kit from Amazon, bought it because of the name obviously)
Slave Cylinder - Done
Replace rear bumper cover - Waiting for one to come up for sale
Fix pass. side turn signal repeater -
MC40 floor mats - Need some to come up for sale

Anything else I'm missing????

Will be updating this list, if nothing else just so I can keep track.

Last edited by HillbillyChili; 08-17-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Updating List
Old 05-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Nice looking car, how many miles on it?

Depending on the miles and the past maintenance, you might want to check out the: the belt, belt tensioner, motor mounts, water pump, t-stat and crank pulley/harmonic balancer.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family. It is cool, you were able to score this rare car! It looks to be in nice shape and I can already tell, you want this thing to be right an tight! Tons of info for you in the Gen 1 section and other information in other areas here.
Great MCS-40!
Let us see the inside!

Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Nice looking car, how many miles on it?

Depending on the miles and the past maintenance, you might want to check out the: the belt, belt tensioner, motor mounts, water pump, t-stat and crank pulley/harmonic balancer.
It's got 150k on the clock, so will definitely be time to look into these things. Just purchased a t-stat and am looking at motor mounts today. The rest is gonna be added the "online cart" haha. Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to the NAM family. It is cool, you were able to score this rare car! It looks to be in nice shape and I can already tell, you want this thing to be right an tight! Tons of info for you in the Gen 1 section and other information in other areas here.
Great MCS-40!
Let us see the inside!
I gotta replace the decals still but the rest seems to still be in good shape. I'll be checking that section for some more ideas to keep it running tip top. I'll be sure to get some more pics up soon!

Old 05-29-2017, 11:59 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Congrats it looks great.

We have the decals when you're ready and any other parts as we've already done a restoration on an MC40

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
HillbillyChili (06-22-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 06:25 PM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Congrats it looks great.

We have the decals when you're ready and any other parts as we've already done a restoration on an MC40
Thanks Way, just checked out the site and I'll definitely be stopping there for some parts. Do you also sell the 37 magnets? PO didn't have those.

Let me know if you are trying to get rid of a used Chili Red rear bumper for a R53. Looks like someone tried to "fix" the one on mine and ended up melting the bumper.

Thanks for the help everyone, will be adding more pics soon!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:40 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
PM Sent

Old 06-07-2017, 12:28 PM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Interior

Adding some pics of the interior

Car was made before they started adding the MC40 shift *****, so that kinda sucks. Might look to buy one from ECS I see they have them although not a fan of the price.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:31 PM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Interior of the engine as well

Got a shot when replacing valve cover gasket. I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness underneath. How many times have you been able to say that?

All the valve cover bolts were junk though so I picked up all new ones along with the gasket and spark plug tube seals.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:34 PM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
The Big #22

And of course, I need to add the official plaque

Thinking about putting a clear poly over it to prevent it from getting any more worn looking.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:14 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by HillbillyChili
Adding some pics of the interior

Car was made before they started adding the MC40 shift *****, so that kinda sucks. Might look to buy one from ECS I see they have them although not a fan of the price.

I would get it before they go nla, we also are the only people that have the Mc40 valve stem caps. Once those sell out with us they will be NLA worldwide. My chrome OEM JCW license plate frame on my R58 just went nla also. MINI has been NLA'ing things left and right from the Gen 1 days.And they have not been dropping the prices before they go NLA like they did in 2015.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-07-2017, 01:40 PM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I would get it before they go nla, we also are the only people that have the Mc40 valve stem caps. Once those sell out with us they will be NLA worldwide. My chrome OEM JCW license plate frame on my R58 just went nla also. MINI has been NLA'ing things left and right from the Gen 1 days.And they have not been dropping the prices before they go NLA like they did in 2015.
I know I should, just waiting on you guys to have that fire sale

I will definitely be picking up the caps, those are a bit more in the budget right now. The MC40 mats have already gone NLA so can't get those either. I thought I was done spending money after buying the car!

Old 06-07-2017, 01:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
No Fire sale expect for those R90 16" silver wheels and 17" black wheels we have left. Those chrome S-lites also. Some 15" spider white wheels. I don't think MINI will be having a sale anytime soon. Or any big fire sale like back in 2014-2015. They have just been killing items off at full price. I watch it like a hawk And then tell everyone about it. I like a good deal also. Lots of JCW stuff has been going NLA without clearance or price drop. The MC40 stuff was the same way, one day its gone. I thought the same thing on some old school gen 1 MINI parts like the JCW shift lights I wanted and one day a customer bought the last set and MINI did not have anymore. Boom they were gone.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
First shot at decals

Took my first shot at doing decals myself, wanted to get some practice in before buying the new MC40 decals. Lesson learned, spray more water before applying decal. Not sure that these will last through a car wash...

Also did my first oil change, apparently despite his looks the guy who had the car before me was Hulk Hogan because I had to remove the coolant reservoir to get a long enough cheater bar in to get the filter housing off.

Next up is putting on 215/45/17 tires and doing the 3M headlight restoration kit.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks good. You are straight on the bottom. Just take your time and you will get the hang of it.

The following users liked this post:
HillbillyChili (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 05:48 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Part Number for the MC40 oil drain plug

Does anyone know the part number for the oil drain plug that has temp sensor on it?

Also, Wal-mart auto offers headlight restoration for like $30...yes I know Wal-mart...but if it is gonna save me half a day and the price of the 3M kit I would like to know if anyone has used this service before and their opinion of it. Bring on the horror stories!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-and-leak.html

This?

Old 06-15-2017, 06:04 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Aww you nailed it ECS thanks ! I should look on here rather than trying to find it on a vehicle schematics. That was only giving me the number for the regular drain plug without the sensor.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Replace Engine Mount

Replaced the upper engine mount yesterday, we will see how long it lasts, from what I have read here they have a tendency to fail rather quickly.

I couldn't get all the hydraulic fluid from the old one off of my paint unfortunately.

Surprisingly the lower mount is still good.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Much better What you can do is scrub it the best, then lightly sand it and paint it with touch up paint in chili red. I did mine in hot orange. Rubbing compound will take some of if off, but be careful as the engine bay paint is thin with no clear coat.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What a find. White over Chili Red and an MC40 to boot. Great wheels and interior, too. Looks ready to go to Monte Carlo. Not many made and you hooked #22... so how cool is that. These things look great from any angle and of course are a blast to drive. Way nice. Enjoy!

And keep us posted on your progress.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:01 AM
HillbillyChili
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniRoadstah
What a find. White over Chili Red and an MC40 to boot. Great wheels and interior, too. Looks ready to go to Monte Carlo. Not many made and you hooked #22... so how cool is that. These things look great from any angle and of course are a blast to drive. Way nice. Enjoy!

And keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks! I'm not sure if people create new threads for progress/build pictures, I've just been posting them here in my original post to keep them all together.

Might be more for my convenience over anyone else's

Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 PM
RllyDrvrIX
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Thanks for sharing your journey, look forward to reading more....