1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 from Temecula, CA

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 from Temecula, CA

Hello all! Name is Vince from SoCal with a new-to-me R56 MCS. I've been frequenting the forum as a guest and reading on some very useful information you have here so i figured I'd introduce myself.

Here we have a bone stock R56 picked up 2 months ago. Had a couple issues with it - brake warning and the half check engine light was on.

Took it to the dealership for a checkup and surprise surprise, they wanted $7,500 worth of repairs. Lol

I used the information I got from them to start working on the car so i started going down the list and added additional stuff as I went along.

Did the brakes and changed the pressure converter first. Since I changed the converter from underneath the car, a Borla S-Type went in as well.

Next on the list was "replace air intake boot", so an AEM CAI went in its place. Plasti-dipped the inside of the scoop black for a clean look.

Next were the tire/wheel issues so I picked up a set of XXR wheels with Kumho PA31s to match the 2 good tires currently on the car.

Did the engine work afterwards - water pump, drive belt, and coolant flush.

And since the front end of the car was already in service mode, Halo fog lamps went in.

Once those were done and all four wheels were on the ground, the tired bonnet vinyl was stripped, chrome trims were plasti-dipped black, and LED rally lights were mounted.

Applied new vinyl stripes on the bonnet and boot afterwards to complete the look.

That's how the car stands as of today.

Actually, it's back on jack stands because coolant is still leaking from the pump so I have to re-do it. Damn things... Lol!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Welcome to the board and congrats on not giving the dealer money. Great tasteful mods you added

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
nice work...welcome aboard...keep the posts coming :-D

Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Thanks for the welcome guys!

This is the first time I worked on a Mini. At first I was hesitant since I have no experience with Euros but I'm surprised how easy it is to work on. Quite fun actually.

So far I have done all the work myself but I'm at that point that I need opinions from those who are more experienced with the car.

Current issues I have:
- Coolant seep from the water pump after changing it. Certain procedure to tighten bolts?

- I wanted to check where you guys wire the drls. I have mine tapped to the park lights. Where can I wire it so drls light up when the key is in?

- White smoke out the exhaust and burning plastic smell 2 days ago after leaving the car on idle for a while. It was quite a scare but now it's gone. No codes.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM, Vince. Hello from SoCal as well. Congrats on the purchase of your R56. Looks like you've already started working on it. Be sure to check out our R56 articles on our site under MINI > Tech Info (tab at top) > R56 tech articles. They should help you while you work on your most current issues. And of course, if you have any questions or need anything please don't hesitate to let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-15-2016, 09:48 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Thanks PelicanParts! Your website has been very helpful as well! I visit the site whenever I get stuck somewhere. Your step-by-step procedures and pictures helped me out a lot!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
How much play should these turbos have? I feel a bit of play moving the impeller in and out.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R56

Welcome to NAM and the world of MINI Motoring! Looks like you have been busy, and the results show it!

Please feel free to stop by our site for articles, videos and application guides for service, maintenance, performance upgrades, and accessories. The total package you have put together is very distinctive!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:07 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Anybody local in Temecula or Murrieta I can borrow a spare from? Lol!

Non-rapairable. Local tire shops don't have my tire in stock. Have to wait till Monday. ��

Old 09-17-2016, 11:10 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Go to pepboys or autozone or what ever parts store and get plugs and do it. It is easy and cheap 😉

Old 09-17-2016, 11:32 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Yeah unfortunately the tire is already off the wheel.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:50 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
So after a couple of months, the water pump wants to leak again! Can somebody send me a link as to where I can get those metal ones and not these plastic things? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Originally Posted by vincedprince
So after a couple of months, the water pump wants to leak again! Can somebody send me a link as to where I can get those metal ones and not these plastic things? Thanks in advance!
Here is the oem water pump: http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...t-Gen2-R55-r61

And an aftermarket version: http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...e-Gen2-R55-r61

I walked back into our warehouse to check and they are both metal

Last edited by Mini Mania; 10-16-2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:16 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Here is the oem water pump: http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...t-Gen2-R55-r61

And an aftermarket version: http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NME2...e-Gen2-R55-r61

I walked back into our warehouse to check and they are both metal
Ordered! Thanks for the link MiniMania!

Old 10-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Water Pump

Ordered! Thanks for the link MiniMania!
Thanks for the order, you're welcome!

Old 10-19-2016, 06:35 PM
NickW1
1st Gear
Welcome Vince, nice work your doing on your Mini, Temecula is a beautiful place. Cheers.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:07 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Metal water pump arrived today. Thanks MiniMania!

So I've been reading thru some posts regarding common coolant leak and came across the thread about the pipe behind the water pump. Looking at the pipe from the water pump side, what do you guys think?

Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Leak

Thanks for the welcome guys!

This is the first time I worked on a Mini. At first I was hesitant since I have no experience with Euros but I'm surprised how easy it is to work on. Quite fun actually.

So far I have done all the work myself but I'm at that point that I need opinions from those who are more experienced with the car.

Current issues I have:
- Coolant seep from the water pump after changing it. Certain procedure to tighten bolts?

- I wanted to check where you guys wire the drls. I have mine tapped to the park lights. Where can I wire it so drls light up when the key is in?

- White smoke out the exhaust and burning plastic smell 2 days ago after leaving the car on idle for a while. It was quite a scare but now it's gone. No codes.
Use a torque wrench to make sure all bolts are tightened evenly.

Use any power source that is tied to the 'ignition on' - maybe use the switched power to the radio to trigger the relay?

It 'could be' the turbo....

- How much play should these turbos have? I feel a bit of play moving the impeller in and out.
There should be virtually no play. if you have white smoke, then there is a good chance the cat is contaminated. when you install a new turbo, you should replace the cat - otherwise the new turbo will have a short life....

- So I've been reading thru some posts regarding common coolant leak and came across the thread about the pipe behind the water pump. Looking at the pipe from the water pump side, what do you guys think?
See if you can clean it up and use a new o-ring. however, if you are dis-assembling - you might get a new pipe & o-ring to eliminate this as a potential problem area. We have seen reports of 'difficulty' getting this pipe to seat correctly at the water pump, so make sure everything is lined up correctly during the install.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Thanks Mini Mania! Your inputs are very helpful!

Least I can say with this car... one issue after another. Soooo..... the clutch went out. LMFAO.

After changing the water pump with that fine piece from Mini Mania, took it for a quick drive around the block and started slipping. Gears not biting right away, clutch pedal vibrating, and a god-awful groaning sound when I gave it gas. Perfect... looking forward to a big job.

What clutch to get? Since I'll have the car on service mode, might as well change out the oil feed line and the water pipe behind the water pump. I can't believe why they used plastic for it. SMH. Any indications to find out if the thermostat wants to break as well?

So if I could get a link on the clutch, water pipe + o ring, and whatever else is a good idea to replace while I'm in there, will be much appreciated.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:17 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
did you consider your clutch pedal is low on oil/pressure? was the clutch fine before and all of a sudden it crapped out? just a thought

Old 10-24-2016, 11:53 AM
vincedprince
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
did you consider your clutch pedal is low on oil/pressure? was the clutch fine before and all of a sudden it crapped out? just a thought
Fluid level is fine and clean.

Was already warned by the stealership that clutch may need to be replaced soon couple of months ago. Pic on my first post.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:44 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
How much is the going rate to have a shop change out the clutch?

Old 10-25-2016, 12:49 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Personally I dont know. when I did engine rebuilds, I would sometimes have the engine pulled out of the car. and so the clutch would be easy to replace. I do most of my Mini work but, i would guess at least 700 in labor.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:01 PM
vincedprince
1st Gear
I could do it too but wanted to see the cost difference. It's either my time or just have somebody else do it. I mean, if the cost is not that bad compared to the ~$4K the dealership wanted... Lol

Old 10-25-2016, 01:05 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
lol...i mean you could do more while the engine is out; cleaning, turbo oil line check, oil filter housing gasket, wiping....etc if you have all the tools and hoist, it is a weekend project. talk to your shop and see the days it will take plus the $$$ and weigh in your options.

Quick Reply: R56 from Temecula, CA