1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1,800 r53....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:46 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$1,800 r53....

Ollo-

Well hello everyone. This makes me think back to how many intro's I have done on forums like this after picking up a new enthusiast car...Datsun 260z, 280z, Nissan 350z and 370z, 2002 STI, Audi TT, and now a Mini...

Anyway...

I am new here. Had no plans at all to get a Mini, but always wanted to. So here is what I found.

Just stalking Craigslist last Friday with some money in my pocket after selling a 260z and 280z. No reason to be looking either as I am packing everything right now to move back to Atlanta in September. (I am currently in Alaska). Pretty much selling everything we own and I'll be driving myself down. Family to join me after I get settled.

So I happen to fall upon a post for a 2003 Mini Cooper S for $2,200. Took about 2 seconds to wrap my mind around "MINE!!!" before I even looked at the description. Only 78,000 miles(niice), in the grey color I always wanted, and looking in solid condition. Turned out to be fully loaded. Leather, sun roof, overhauled sound system, all the bells and whistles.

Here is the catch of course. Says it cranks, but does not run. In my head, I am thinking of the short list of what that could actually be. After rebuilding a Land Rover Discovery II from the ground up last year, I am ready to grab a quick fix and replace my Audi A3. As long as I don't have to replace the entire engine on this, I am still way in the green.

So, anyway. I go take a look, it's in great condition, say I'll take it, pay the man, and get the title. I have to have it towed back this afternoon out to Palmer as I could not get a truck this weekend. I really need to get another SUV.

So the story behind the issues with the car. The guy who owned it picked it up in not running either. He works 16 hours a day at a body shop, so he just never had time to actually jump on the project or even diagnose what the issue is. But, he was able to give me the scoop from the prior owner he picked it up from. The prior owner had the head rebuilt, by BMW, and about a week afterwards he lost power while driving it. Sounds like BMW refused to do anything about it claiming the rebuild didn't cause it. So he threw in the towel and sold it. The guy I grabbed it from says he has all the receipts and service records, so I will ready up on why the head was rebuilt and what all BMW did to it.

So I offered $1,800 and I'll have it in the garage tonight. Luckily all my tools aren't packed up, so for at least the next 30 days I have some time to dig in.

If not, I'll drop it by a private shop next month and have them sink into it. I am STOCKED at the chance that I may be able to drive this across country and not my A3. I can just imagine a 5k mile road trip in a R53 and getting a feel for her. (and her crazy good mpg)

That's all for now. I'll start a build thread once I get it here and can dig into it.

I look forward to meeting some of you and thank you all for the help I will be needing in the near future.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
Shot of the car.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like an excellent project car! Please keep us posted, and let us know what you find along the way. Also, don't hesitate to ask if we can help in anyway!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,771 Posts
Welcome, great deal on the R53. Any more pics ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 PM
KnighTT
2nd Gear
You can find my build thread here. Turned out the engine problem was a big ol hole in the block.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...adventure.html