1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi! - Project R53 Mini - Portland OR

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:15 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi MaSter_E,
The AC is an important fix. I have noticed several blow the hose on the front of the engine which is a PITA to get to. Be careful not to overcharge the system, as it does not take a lot of "freon" and too much will cause hoses to blow and damage to the system.
Do not use leak fix, or leak check, as these are contaminants, that are unwanted for good cooling results.
I will get in touch the next time I am up there. I go to dealer auctions to buy minis for my addiction! I am in the hunt for another 05 or 06 S model. ( I have two 05 S models now)
Get that AC fixed! It is a karma eater, when it does not work!
Itsme Wayne

I am a gauge kinda guy This is my BRG 05 S

my work in progress mini S and my 08 convertible. Which is waiting for new brain, coming from england.

bought this 05 at an auction in Calif. I need to get a wrench adapter to get off the lug nuts for the Momo Course wheels that are on it. Also a new interior ( I already have front seats coming from NJ) Still need rear seats.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:28 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Wayne!

The weather around here has really sucked lately. Saturday and Sunday were 100° and that's just crazy for Portland... That being said the Avalanche has been my vehicle of choice lately (remote start and a working AC )

I've watched a few videos on how to use the gauges and properly charge an AC system. Also read that the coil in the clutch is a notorious issue on the R53's and is super simple to fix.

Got a list of things that need done but as soon as my finals are over I am out of the state riding dirt bikes into the deepest darkest hole I can find Really could use some R&R and wrenching on my mini in my 95° garage isn't very high on my list of things to do right now. Come to think of it no much is very high on my list... This weather sucks the motivation from your soul!

Here's the video I watched. I just love Mod MINI's videos!

Eric

Old 06-08-2016, 08:53 AM
mgflyfish
1st Gear
JCW in PDX

Hi Project R53 and all you other PDX Mini Peeps

I'm itchy awaiting the arrival of a new JCW Hardtop in RG. Nowhere near has handy with the wrench as you folks but still enjoy learning about this little machine--Mine will be my DD and I'm looking forward to taking out my shifting shoes

MG

Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 AM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
My first "weird issue"

So I had a friends wedding in Roseburg to go to this weekend and drove the Mini. Drove down, did the wedding thing then decided instead of grinding up I-5 I'd take some back roads for a little bit.

Had a little rally which was awesome. It was almost just as much fun to watch my girl friend try holding onto anything she could find . Got back on I-5 and up the freeway I went for about 80 miles before stopping for some snacks.

That's when it got weird. I parked and let it idle for a bit before I shut if off. Surfed my phone looking for other routes to take and when I went to start the car it didn't start very nice, sputtered and died. Turned the key again and got nothing. Wouldn't crank or anything. Turned the key completely off, let the clutch out, pushed it back in and turned the key and it cranked a bit then fired right up.

Shortly after that I noticed all my computer stuff had been reset. Clock has been reset, mileage and MPG's were all gone.

Any thoughts? Something I should be worried about?

Eric

Old 06-22-2016, 06:04 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like a battery issue. Know when the last time it was replaced? Do you have a DMM you can check voltage with?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:47 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MA$TER_E
Turned the key again and got nothing
FYI, this particular part is completely normal. If you crank and fail to start, I believe the electrical system forces you to turn the key off and back on to retry.

As for the problem...check the ground straps in the engine compartment and the battery terminals.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R53

Hello everyone!

I'm just another newb that shows up with a new car and wants to write the internet about it but hopefully you can grin and bear it because I'm here on a mission to make some friends and have even more fun with a car that's already fun.

Here's the long story condensed. Work full time as an engineer, decided to go back to school, 08 Avalanche as a daily driver, commuting and parking at PSU stinks, wanted a small commuter/project car for fun, did a ton or research, decided I wanted a cooper s, about a month ago bought what I think so far is a well maintained bone stock 05 cooper s and have been super happy ever since!

I'm looking forward to making some friends in the Mini community and to get some guidance on how to go about building my mini. I think I've watched every one of Mod-Mini's videos on YouTube. What an awesome dude and if you're out there Mod-Mini YOURE AWESOME man and beers are on me!

Anyway, I'm very mechanical and find that music, wrenching, beer and wrenching is very therapeutic to me (must be performed in that order).

The car goes in next week for some window tint but other than that and the power steering recall mini of Portland did I haven't done a thing to the car. I have eyeballed some cold air intakes, supercharger pulley kits and exhaust systems out there but WOW are there a lot of options and opinions out there.

Right now I'm buying a bunch of tools like the belt tensioner tool, top side oil change thing, some gauges to check my AC and a couple more jack stands and maybe a new air gun. Because who doesn't love new tools? But I'd like to dig in and bolt up a couple new go fast parts and do some maintenance. I'm sure the SC needs a service and my AC is not working (hence the gauges).

Cheers everyone! Its great to be here and will abruptly put this novel to bed

Eric

Woohoo! It fits in my driveway!!!
Welcome to the world of MINIs! I have to say, I like your choice of color and model. Mine is an 04 MCS in Gresham:

Let us know if we can help in any way!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:43 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
157,305 Mile Service

Today I did my first big service on the Mini. Oil change, oil filter, coil, plugs and wires. I opted to go with Castrol Edge 0W-40 and standard NGK IridiumIX plugs. My car is completely stock and will be that way longer than I'd like. I wish I had cash to blow on this car because there are SO many fun things I want to get and to do! Anyway... Here we go!

Motorcycles outside, MINI inside. Dirtbikes needed washed anyway. Thanks Oregon weather

So I have never used one of these top side oil changer deals before. I really like this thing. It made the oil change a SUPER easy. I wasn't sure about it at first but after this change I really like it!

So this was why I opted to do the coil. Terminal #3 looked like a rusted nail. Besides, it gave me an excuse to bolt some red parts on under the hood

While the plugs were out I did a compression check. I was a little worried at first but I'll explain that below. Cyl #1 is 140psi and Cyl #2, #3, #4 are all 150psi. I was expecting much worse for a car with nearly 160k miles on it.

So here's some good information. How much of a difference in compression do you get between full length of a plug and just half? 40 PSI. I was really surprised how much of a difference this was. I knew it would be different but not by so much! Use the right tool for the job dudes!

Here's some pics of the coil. I went to ACE Hardwar, the helpful place and bought some fasteners and a couple nylon spacers for the rubber bushings. Worked like a charm! Gave the bolts a couple dabs of Honda racing locktite to make the red even faster and bolted it up

The plugs that were in it didn't look to bad but I replaced them anyway.

And that was about it. I had fun with it and look forward to doing some more. I'm already making a list of things I want. I really want to do a pulley and an exhaust but that is going to be a very big and very expensive project because I'll do injectors and everything else I could think of before taking it to a shop for a tune.

But next time I want to put a Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve, DDMWorks Cold Air Intake and a Sprint Booster. That'll set me back $650 bucks easily.

Anyway, cheers everyone. I got to get back to homework.

Eric

Old 07-10-2016, 06:11 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi Ma$ter-E,
These Mini Coopers need a good strong battery that is stable. Old batteries have a tendancy to charge high, or low and fluctuate during startup. This causes these cars electrics to freak out and throw codes. The fix is simple: The correct battery.
I have been using Interstate batteries with a good result on these Mini Coopers. They are not cheap, but are very stable batteries. There are other good ones out there too!
Another source is Batteries Plus
Itsme Wayne

Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 AM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi Ma$ter-E,
These Mini Coopers need a good strong battery that is stable. Old batteries have a tendancy to charge high, or low and fluctuate during startup. This causes these cars electrics to freak out and throw codes. The fix is simple: The correct battery.
I have been using Interstate batteries with a good result on these Mini Coopers. They are not cheap, but are very stable batteries. There are other good ones out there too!
Another source is Batteries Plus
Itsme Wayne
Thanks Wayne!
I know when I bought the car it has a newer battery that I think came from Les Schwab but I'd have to go double check. I just put in a dual battery system in the Avalanche and did a set of East Penn Intimidator AGM batteries. The next time I go by the shop and they are actually open I'll have them put the mini battery through a torture test and see how good it is.
Cheers dude!
Eric

Old 07-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Portland R53

Good job Ma$ter! You're on your way to becoming a MINI expert!

Drive Hard. Drive Save. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Good job Ma$ter! You're on your way to becoming a MINI expert!

Drive Hard. Drive Save. Keep Grinning.
Thanks!

I'm so glad I spent the time researching cars before buying one. I love this little car. SO much fun to drive and to work on. I'm really looking forward to digging in more.

I really want to get to the supercharger oil. I've been thinking, I can get to the oil plugs and I should at least top off the oils. I'm sure there's not much oil left in there. There never is. When I do a pulley I'll pull the whole supercharger and drain and fill the oil.

Eric

Old 07-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R53

Here's info on the oil you will need and instructions:

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...rger%20oil/All

Old 07-11-2016, 02:03 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Here's info on the oil you will need and instructions:

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...rger%20oil/All

I actually was reading that article! I got all the way the the end after it guids you through the whole front end and supercharger removal and read a "NOTE" that said:
NOTE: The Supercharger nose gear (pulley side) takes 4.9 oz. and the rear side water pump gear takes about 1.4 oz - as specified by Eaton. Basically, with the supercharger on the motor, you need to use a syringe to suction out all fluid and fill with new as specified. Tighten the reservoir plugs to 8 ft-lbs.
I have a syringe! I'd prefer to remove the SC and do it right but getting at it the best I can with a syringe and topping it off would be better than doing nothing at all i'm sure.

Eric

Old 10-17-2016, 07:05 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Big Handling Project

Hey everyone! I've got a little project brewing...

Work and school have been devastating to my free time but I did get a Detroit tuned bypass valve, DDMWorks CAI and a set of vent scoops installed. I've been very pleased so far but now I've got some troubles.

The handling is getting pretty bad. I knew it needed the mushrooms pounded out of the strut towers, shocks/struts and an alignment. And recently it's becoming painfully obvious the passenger side control arm bushing is TOAST. Its starting to pull and has an intermittent hop...

So what I have going is I'm planning on dropping the sub frame out and going through everything. And was looking for some feedback. Here's my list so far.
  • Pound the mushrooming out of my towers
  • Megan Racing EZ Street Coilovers
  • Cravenspeed Under Tower Indurators
  • Powerflex Bushings (NO INSERTS)
    • Race Durometer
       Gearbox
       Lower Engine Mounts
       Front Sway Bar
    • Street Durometer
       Front Control Arms
       Steering Rack
       Rear Upper Shock Mount
I've looked at my upper engine mount and it doesn't appear to have lost its guts yet so I'm going to leave it with plans of going to a dampener system in the future. Also, other than shocks and upper shock bushings I'm not going through the rear of the car yet either.

But while I have the sub frame out and am going for handling improvements I'm looking at doing both Tie Rod Assemblies and the Ball Joints too.

All this is leading up to new tires and an alignment. Maybe some wheels, but that’s unlikely...

What's your thoughts? Anything else I should think about doing while I'm in there?

Thanks everyone!

Eric

Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R53 Portland

Did I see camber plates on your list? Bushings and more suspension upgrades here:

http://new.minimania.com/ss/SUSPENSION_NM

Big Brakes?

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...%20kit/default

Tie rod assembly info:

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper_Tie_Rod_Assembly

Let us know if we can help!

Drive Hard Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:58 AM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
The fun is about to begin!
My parts are FINALY here. Took a month to get the bushings but they are finally here.

So heres a list of the goodies in the picture.

Powerflex bushings:
Lower control arm
Rear shock
Steering rack
Sway bar
Gear box mount
Engine mount lower - large
Engine mount lower - small
L & R outer ball joints
L & R inner ball joints
L & R tie rod assemblies
L & R tie rod boots
L & R wheel bearings

Crank position sensor O-ring(s)

Upper engine mount w/lower bolt
Axle nuts
6 Quarts of Castrol Edge
2 Quarts of MTL
8 Oz. of Supercharger fluid
Oil Filter
36mm socket for the oil filter
"COOPER S" emblems (mine are missing)

And my favorite:
V3 Sprint booster

The Avalanche needs some love first so I'll do that this weekend but soon I'll be pulling the mini apart to start the great 160,000 mile service.

I am very annoyed that all 4 of my jacking blocks are missing. Theres just a hole and some scratched and dinged metal where they used to be...

Stay tuned

Eric

Finally, all my parts are in!

Old 12-07-2016, 10:01 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Nice list, you have your own parts warehouse Excited to see this done. That suspension is going to be on point and tight

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-07-2016, 03:15 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Thanks. I'm hoping Christmas is good to me and I can score a set of Megan coilovers with camber plates.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:31 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
R53

Thanks. I'm hoping Christmas is good to me and I can score a set of Megan coilovers with camber plates.
Santa is listening! Let us know how the upgrades progress, and what you think of the Sprint Booster.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Totally am enjoying your thread. Way to go! Happy Holidays

Old 12-09-2016, 06:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Sounds like a great Christmas

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Sprint Booster

Santa is listening! Let us know how the upgrades progress, and what you think of the Sprint Booster.

BTW, did you get the Version 3 SB?

https://www.sprintboostersales.com/H...rks.cfm#V2vsV3

Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
BTW, did you get the Version 3 SB?

https://www.sprintboostersales.com/H...rks.cfm#V2vsV3

I did get the V3. Reading up on all the added functionality sold me on it. Can't wait to plug it in!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:31 PM
MA$TER_E
2nd Gear
Sooo, Santa came over and hung out in the garage for a while. What a cool dude.

Quick Reply: Hi! - Project R53 Mini - Portland OR