1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post, help me pick the right mini!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:57 PM
silence2-38554
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First post, help me pick the right mini!

Hey everyone, I'm a long time Subaru enthusiast, having owned my WRX just shy of a decade. After living in San Francisco for the last two years, I'm REALLY starting to see why everyone here owns minis. Size, fuel efficiency, fun to drive, etc. Now, as for myself - I tend to tinker with my cars. I was a mechanic for a couple years & have extensively modded every car I have ever owned. That being said, I'm kind of over it. Especially living in this city. I'd really like to get a car that is already fun enough to drive without feeling the need to tinker further, while staying under the $10k mark.

From the research I've done, I think the mini I'm looking for is a 2005 JCW Hard top.

I've read that since the 04/05's were the later years of the first reissues, they tend to be the most solid cars with the least issues. Similarly, I have read that the '08-'09's are great because all the kinks were worked out from the first of the second generations.

All that aside, I understand that cars are cars, things will break & maintenance will inevitably need to be done.

I just discovered the JCW is even a thing while doing research on the S models today. +37 horsepower in a car this small? Yes, please! Now what I'm wondering is - will the suspension on this model beat me up while driving around SF? I have my WRX dropped on fairly compliant springs (~250lbs/in) and feel that it's just a tad too stiff for this city. I realize the WRX is also a much heavier car, so that rate may be irrelevant in the world of Mini's.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of getting into one of these model years? Considering it would almost certainly have around 100k miles, what big maintenance projects would I be looking at? Considering my goal, are there any other models I should look at instead?

Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by silence2-38554
Hey everyone, I'm a long time Subaru enthusiast, having owned my WRX just shy of a decade. After living in San Francisco for the last two years, I'm REALLY starting to see why everyone here owns minis. Size, fuel efficiency, fun to drive, etc. Now, as for myself - I tend to tinker with my cars. I was a mechanic for a couple years & have extensively modded every car I have ever owned. That being said, I'm kind of over it. Especially living in this city. I'd really like to get a car that is already fun enough to drive without feeling the need to tinker further, while staying under the $10k mark.

From the research I've done, I think the mini I'm looking for is a 2005 JCW Hard top.

I've read that since the 04/05's were the later years of the first reissues, they tend to be the most solid cars with the least issues. Similarly, I have read that the '08-'09's are great because all the kinks were worked out from the first of the second generations.

All that aside, I understand that cars are cars, things will break & maintenance will inevitably need to be done.

I just discovered the JCW is even a thing while doing research on the S models today. +37 horsepower in a car this small? Yes, please! Now what I'm wondering is - will the suspension on this model beat me up while driving around SF? I have my WRX dropped on fairly compliant springs (~250lbs/in) and feel that it's just a tad too stiff for this city. I realize the WRX is also a much heavier car, so that rate may be irrelevant in the world of Mini's.

Are there any other issues I should be aware of getting into one of these model years? Considering it would almost certainly have around 100k miles, what big maintenance projects would I be looking at? Considering my goal, are there any other models I should look at instead?
IMO, you don't need any help picking the right MINI, you nailed it. An older MINI will take some maintenance dollars, but it'll be worth it.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:40 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
...lots of the Carlisle MINI Club owners also have a Subaru ...

No real point just an observation

Motor on!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:03 PM
M7Speed
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just enjoy your search and pick the car you like.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 PM
silence2-38554
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement on my choice! One thing I have to ask, since I've never actually been in a Mini, is about cabin space. I'm 6'2" & comfortably fit in the WRX with the seat rails all the way back. Is the Mini deceptively big on the inside or am I gonna feel cramped?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 PM
ItsSoWittle
Neutral
Originally Posted by silence2-38554
Thanks for the encouragement on my choice! One thing I have to ask, since I've never actually been in a Mini, is about cabin space. I'm 6'2" & comfortably fit in the WRX with the seat rails all the way back. Is the Mini deceptively big on the inside or am I gonna feel cramped?
It's larger than you think. I'm 6" and don't like being close to the wheel, and there's still room to slide back from my normal seating position (but you won't be getting a passenger behind me). I was curious, so I had my 6'8" friend hop in the driver's seat. He fit, but probably wouldn't be comfortable on anything more than a short drive.

Regarding your model choice, I was in the same boat not too long ago. I prefer the R53 body style, and wanted the supercharger over the turbo. 05/06 is the way to go. If you're set on a JCW, go for it...though it may be a bit tougher to find one. An S model with a few mods will get you close to the JCW power. A stock S won't be as fast as your WRX, but it's tons of fun and handles like a dream.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 AM
thedanman
1st Gear
JCW's from my research are a bit stiffer than the cooper s, but they do offer more power. In general mini's aren't known for the soft ride, so i wouldn't be expecting much from the ride quality. I changed the tires on my r50 from worn down continentals to brand new hankook's, the ride quality was improved a lot more than i expected, but still a bit stiff.

My uncle is around 6'3" and he fitted in the back seat. He had extra head room and also had room for his legs ( about an inch or two). I sat in front of him in the drivers seat. I sat comfortably so that ill be able to drive. Im about 5'11". The seats on the mini's are very stiff.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a buddy who is 6'5", 320, Who fits in my old R53 comfortably and loves to drive it.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:50 AM
chappybmode
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that you should get an R53 (I have a 56) If I had to do it over again I would get a 53 just based on the modding expenses. The N14/18 can and has been modded to extremes, but i just don't have that kind of money haha. Welcome to the mini world. I believe you will find we are just a big family and most on here will help at the first sign of it being needed. Knowing that you have vehicle knowledge i wouldn't worry so much about the maintenance and it being expensive. Take care of it and it will take care of you.