1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New base hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM
1papillonnoire
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New base hardtop

Hi Everyone,
Ordered my first MINI (AKA papillon noire), also my first manual transmission. It safely crossed the Atlantic, and is waiting to be transported to the dealership. Any advice on owning it/driving a stick...

Thanks,

Yves

Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Welcome to the insanity and congrats! Be sure to post pictures when it arrives here. By the way, there is no such thing as a "base" MINI, unless it is one with no options at all. They are either S or non-S.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember all MINIs are cool!!! Congrats on your soon to be home MINI... Keep us posted when you get it! cheers!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A lot of us affectionately refer to the non-turbo MINI as a Justa. Three of the six MINIs me and my SO have owned have been Justas and we LOVE them.

As far as the manual transmission, learn first in an empty parking lot. First get used to getting the car moving by letting the clutch out without touching the gas pedal. You only need to make the car move a few yards, then push the clutch back in. Once you find that clutch engagement point a dozen or so times, then add in the gas pedal.

Once you get good at going from a stop to first then to second gear, you can move to a quiet street and get used to rowing through all the gears... shifting up AND down.

Once you master that, and only after you master that, you can go to a public street with some traffic.

You have anyone to help you through this ? Besides us internet helpers, I mean.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM
chanclor
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my MINI last month and it's my first manual transmission car for more years than I care to count! They are pretty easy to drive, the only thing I keep forgetting is to give it a little more gas when I'm starting out on an incline. You're going to kill it a few times, just try not to get frustrated, and maybe try to avoid heavy traffic until you get the hang of it.

It has a cool feature that keeps you from rolling backwards on a hill for about 2 seconds when letting off the brake. Very useful in getting started without rolling back!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to NAM and congrats on your new MINI. The best advise I have regarding a stick is, have fun.