1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Memeber, Soon To Be Mini Owner - Need Suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
ModernMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Memeber, Soon To Be Mini Owner - Need Suggestions!

Hi all,

I've been researching Mini Coopers for the past 3 months or so, and this site has been a HUGE help to me. I've always liked the looks of the Mini, but I never had a chance to drive one until this past New Years Eve. We had an abnormally warm day here in Wisconsin, and I convinced my wife to check out a Mini Cooper with me.

We drove up to Milwaukee, and test drive both the JCW and S models (2012). The JCW definitely had a more aggressive feel to it; which I loved. My wife even liked the Mini, and is actually interested in getting a Countryman in the next two years or so. Anyways, we ended up deciding that I would sell my 93' Toyota MR2 Turbo this spring, and then move forward with our purchase.

Thanks to the mild winter and early spring, I've had the car out for a few weeks, and it is currently on eBay. Since it only has $100 to go to meet the reserve with 4 days left, and currently has 41 people watching it, I feel very confident that it will be selling. As a result, it's time for me to get serious about finding a car.

My dealership has a new 2011 Mini Cooper S in their showroom. It is Horizon Blue, no sunroof, and doesn't have too many other options either. MSRP is $27,400, but they currently have it marked down. After working with the dealer the past few weeks, it sounds like I could get it for abut $4,000 off MSRP. To me, that sounds like a great deal. The problem is, I REALLY liked driving the JCW.

My question is, is this such a good deal that I can't pass it up, or should I just proceed with looking for a JCW Hardtop? Will I be disappointed, or will it provide plenty of fun for me? I know in the end it is my decision to live with, but what do you all think? Is this deal too good to miss out on?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help. At first, I was scared to death to buy a Mini after reading about failing clutches (I actually started looking elsewhere), but thanks to this site, I realized that although there are potential problems, the number of happy owners far exceeds the amount experiencing issues. You all seem to love your cars, and I look forward to belonging to a community that is as passionate about their cars as I am.

- Billy