1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini vs Fiat

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
deezy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini vs Fiat

Has anyone else noticed alot of design similarities that the new Fiat seems to have stolen from the Mini? I got boxed in by random chance with a Fiat behind me, to the left of me and in front of me the other day and I was rather shocked to see so many styling elements essentially copied.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:34 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Frank Stephenson" - involved in design of both!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM
deezy
1st Gear
Oooh thanks for the info! Googled him. That makes much more sense now.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Mini vs Fiat UUUUUMMMMMMM
MINI is a nice looking car
The FIAT looks like an AMC PACER!!!!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
I'll probably get in trouble for saying this, but I actually kind of like the Fiat. It looks pretty different and I'll bet it can be fun to drive. I'm interested to see the Abarth when it comes out too. The Fiat is also a cheaper alternative to the Mini which, according to the very few car mag articles I've read, is apparent if you're willing to look for it.

As to which is better, I feel Mini and Fiat both have their heritages and their own distinct flavors at least in terms of looks and quirks. I've never driven a Fiat either, so I can't really comment on that. That being said, would I trade my Mini in for a Fiat? Probably not. I wouldn't mind having one in addition to my Mini though

Old 09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Matt Smith
Neutral
I've driven both and own neither, but I'm registered on these forums because I'm seriously considering a Mini and I'm not considering a Fiat.

That's not to say the Fiat is bad. I thought the interior was decent considering the price - probably better value than the Mini's, to be frank - and the car is certainly attractive. It's a bit more cutesy than the Mini, which can turn mean if you outfit it the right way, but some people will like that.

However, to drive, the two cars could not be any more different. You'll notice it even if you've done nothing but sit in both cars. The Fiat has a very high, up-right position, almost as if you're in a truck. Mini, on the other hand, has a low-slung driving postion, like that of a sports car. This position immediately sets the tone for each cars attitude.

On the road, I thought the Fiat was quieter and more cushioned, but also less settled. Both of these cars can be upset by road imperfections, but the Fiat seemed to sway back and forth more.

The engine in the Fiat is willing, but noticeably less powerful when compared to a Justa. The steering is also much lighter, which makes it a bit more comfortable but a lot less useful for going around corners. I missed the sixth cog in the gearbox.

On the whole, while these two cars are both extremely small, they're only going to compete among people who are looking at small cars because they think they're cute. Anyone with sporting intentions is likely to prefer the Mini, while anyone who is interested in a small car's practicality for city driving will prefer the Fiat.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Matt, I am in exactly the same situation (well, almost!) and had the exact same reactions to the MINI and the 500!

I far preferred the MINI's seating position to the 500's. The ergonomics felt better in the MINI as well. And there was absolutely no comparison on the handling, the MINI is at least a half an order of magnitude better. The engine is more willing, and will actually pull noticeably in top gear at 60 MPH. Not so the 500--the same speed, the same RPM, but the acceleration was not noticeable.

The 500 is shorter, so it should be easier to find a parking space in a crowded city. It is also much less common, which does have some appeal. And the turning circle on the 500 is very tight, rather more so than the MINI. Which is also something that would come in handy in the city. The Fiat also gets slightly better mileage (1 better MPG on the EPA Highway test) than the Justa, which is something. And it can use regular-grade fuel, unlike the MINI.

I think the Fiat is fairly priced compared to the MINI; it seems to be about 75% of the car for 75% of the money.

I drove both, and I made my decision. My Justa is supposed to show up in October.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
Just to chime in here, nothing as well thought out as the above replies. I think the 500 looks like a toy, not a car. I sat in one, and the fit and finish in the 500 was sad... So much plastic... Added to the toy feel. Was so turned off by the inside looks, I did not even bother with the test drive, it was a no as soon as I sat down.

That said, the fit in finish on most of the Mini's at my dealers lots were the lower end, and I was a little shocked with how uneven some of seams looked. Then saw one with the upgraded interior (chrome) and fell in love. Sold!

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Takes a lot more cranks of the wheel to turn that car as compared to the Mini. I agree it does look like a Pacer. UGLY in my opinion. But some people think the Coupe is ugly as well and I'm buying one of those. Beauty truly is in the eyes of the beholder.

I wouldn't buy one.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't buy one, but I'm happy to see more small cars on the road. Decreases my odds a little of getting stuck behind some gas hog Tahoe on my commute that I can't see around.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Both are good cars. If I were buying a economical sporty car, I'd get the MSC again. But if I wanted a straight economy runabout, I'd get the Fiat over the MC.

- Mark

Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 PM
autoXmini
1st Gear
My MINI has a blower, fiat doesn't. Win goes to MINI.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Both are good cars. If I were buying a economical sporty car, I'd get the MSC again. But if I wanted a straight economy runabout, I'd get the Fiat over the MC.

- Mark
Nah, I'd buy a Kia Forte before I would buy that. It's a much better car, inexpensive, get's good mileage and probably has a better warranty, interior and will last longer.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:59 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Fiat is a cute car but can't compare to MC hardtop. Fiat still has to prove itself in the US. When they left, they were known as Fix It Again Tony!!!! The seats in the Mini are 10 times better. I had trouble getting into the back seat of a Fiat, the head rests lean forward and you can't move them back until you get in the car. Consequently I banged my head. (ouch that hurt) Fiat has a smaller motor 1.4L putting out less power. When you equip the Fiat to match that of a MC justa they come out really close. I would give Fiat another year so at least they have a track record before I would even consider it. Otherwise it's a matter of opinion.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
moreaux
1st Gear
My friend back in France has one of the first 500 Abarth. Seating position is very Italian (high and steering wheel in an awkward angle) interior is...basic at best. It's quick but bumpers are way too soft which is bad for parking in Paris. And I can't imagine...safe?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
Every time I see a Fiat I get a little chuckle and think that the car its self looks so scared to be on the road.......

Old 09-06-2011, 10:48 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
There is a report on
http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011.../?iid=HP_River
that was not at all flattering about the Fiat 500. Basically, they said it doesn't compare to other vehicles in it's class. Watch it, it's very interesting,

Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
moreaux
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mrluckypa
There is a report on
http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2011.../?iid=HP_River
that was not at all flattering about the Fiat 500. Basically, they said it doesn't compare to other vehicles in it's class. Watch it, it's very interesting,
They are looking it at the wrong way, I have the pleasure of owning an Italian car and while the Mini has a lot of character. It has nothing on any Italian cars in terms of soul and passion. It will infuriates you at times and then reward you later. My Maserati wasn't perfect it had a lot of faults for example it has phone integration but no bluetooth you have to put your sim card in the car...the alarm would go off while your driving around town. It spent more time at the dealer then it did on the road. But you can forgive it for all its fault when you put your foot down and feel the furry of a full fledged Ferrari V8. Then it would break down and you would hate it. But as you sit there looking at it ,waiting for the tow truck and there is thing, its just perfect.

And it's the same story with the Fiat 500 (Fiat owns Chrysler a long with Ferrari, Maserati & Alfa Romeo not like how they depict it in the review) it has it's faults but in a way it's so charismatic that you can forgive it. And that's what being a true car enthusiast is about. You can't call yourself one until you've experience owning a Italian car in my mind. It's several feet of art wrap in soul and passion. No one does it like the Italians.

And if the US market Fiat 500 wasn't made in...Mexico and they offer an Arbarth SS version. Chances are I wouldn't be on this board.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM
rpetrecca
1st Gear
My first car was a fiat 124 ragtop so I have nothing but love for fiat. Just wish they would resolve all those reliability issues. Having said that, my parents just got a fiat cinque-cento (that's "500" for those who don't speak Italian). I drove it and it was cute. It's actually what led me to the MINI.... and away from Audi and Infinity. So I drove the countyman and MINI wins hands down. Much more fun to drive. Now only if Fiat would bring back an updated/restyled/redesigned 124.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
I don't like the fiat design....I would rather drive a go-kart than a golf kart!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Have always paid attention to Fiats just because I drove and loved one when I was younger.
I knew I'd go and take a look when they finally came here and I did. I saw nothing remotely similar to the MINI and nothing similar to memories of my Fiat. I wanted to like it but my first thought, as I turned in to the dealership was that it looked like the Smart car. Looking closer, it bore little resemblance to the Smart car but the image stayed, for me.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Ministrater
3rd Gear
No contest. While it resembles its classic counterpart, its classic counterpart was ugly as hell.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by moreaux
And it's the same story with the Fiat 500 ... it has it's faults but in a way it's so charismatic that you can forgive it.
I didn't feel the soul and passion in the 500 I drove, nor the charisma. To me, it was a fairly cute little car, nothing more and nothing less.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
tccox
4th Gear
But is a FIAT that's made in Mexico really a Italian car? Of course I guess the question could be asked, is a car built in England by a German company really English.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:28 PM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
Glad to see FIAT back in the mix here in US. Have long standing affection for them. Hope they succed in the marketplace. My current affection is for my MINI. It's like romance, things can change. I wish 'em well - and although happy with my current love... Hope to be more happy with the next one.

Quick Reply: Mini vs Fiat