1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru STi convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Paul.c
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru STi convert

Hey all. My name is Paul. I currently drive a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. I also own a 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman (the wife's car). I am trying to sell my STi because I want smaller monthly loan payments and want to spend less on gas a month. I want a Mini Cooper S because the fuel economy is excellent and I would still be able to auto-x. Has anyone autocrossed an automatic with much success? I typically stay in second gear in my STi which has a max speed of 58 mph. I don't mind the 6speed but the wife wants me to try and find an automatic first. I'm starting to look at the 6 speeds just for auto-x purposes. It's already bad enough that I am giving up my STi (my choice I know but it still sucks) but then to try and auto-x an auto, Bleh!

I know this concern has come up before so I am going to search now, I promise.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I kinda doubt any Regional Auto-X success on a Auto MCS, plead the wifey for 6 speed and promise to teach her to drive standard.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 AM
TrueEddie
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never tried autocross before but after seeing some video's here on NAM I'd like to give it a shot. I'd be doing it more for fun than competition, but I'd also like to know if any automatic MINI's have had success in autocross.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is the clubbie an auto? If so I'd say it's only fair you get the stick shift you want!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Paul.c
1st Gear
Update here. I am currently working on a deal for a 2009 MCS JCW. The car has 41k and appears to be in good shape. I have not physically seen the car or (obviously) driven it. I am going to do a little reading on what to look for in purchasing a used mini. Anyone have any feedback or specific things to look for? Is there a way to test the clutch to make sure it's good. I am used to an STi clutch which is fairly heavy, how should the JCW clutch feel? Like I said, I am going to scour the forums for info on this. I promise I will search, I'm not new to forums. TYIA for any help on the subject.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like there is still warranty on the car. I would really do your homework when buying a JCW. That is the hot rod of the Mini line and some folks just beat the crap out of them and dump them. I would get the vin and talk to a dealer who can verify the service work etc done on the vehicle. The clutch in my car is very easy to push in. It shifts very smoothly and there is not hesitation etc. These cars sometimes seem a bit more noisy at idle than others but that is because of the DI.

Do your homework and if you find the right ride buy it. I don't think you will regret it. It's a fun automobile.

Pat

Old 08-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Paul.c
1st Gear
I am familiar with noisy cars (subaru STi). I have been reading up on the cold start death chatter and the solutions. I will be getting the VIN from the dealer tomorrow to have the local Mini dealer run it through their system. Another major concern of mine is the "faint smoke odor" reported by the dealer. Anyone have any tips on getting rid of it? Again, I will search the subject but any first hand suggestions would be appreciated. Also I have looked here and on other sites but can't find a more updated list of known issues and things to look for in the newer gen Minis. Any Help?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 AM
MBS627
1st Gear
I don't have much to offer, but welcome aboard. I've been through 2 WRXs (an 06 Wagon and a 05 STi, both modded of course) in the last 5 years and beat them up for 200K miles. I just jumped into a 2011 MCSm and I'm really happy.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 AM
PatM
6th Gear
I'm assuming you are talking about cigarette smoke? In my experience it's very difficult to get rid of it in a vehicle. If the seats are cloth it's more so. If the seats are leather it's easier. Buttttttt

Even shops that use the so called smoke removal products fail in my estimation. They seem to work for a few months and then the smoke smell comes back. I think the same thing happens with dog odors.

Personally I steer clear of cars that have smoke and animal damage.

Pat

Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM
The Rossness
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I'm driving a 2011 WRX STI Limited Sedan. I have foot problems and the clutch isn't working out for me, so I've been thinking of trading my scooby in for an automatic clubman S with the JCW kit. Also, I drive my car in S# mode all the time and I'm getting 14 MPG, so I see the Mini as a way to still have fun, just at a slower speed while spending half as much on gas.

I don't auto-X, but I've done some amateur rallies in my previous car (Acura RSX-S). If you get the mini with a limited slip diff and some sticky tires, you shouldn't have a problem. In my experience, the automatic works well in conjunction with the paddle shifters and while it doesn't have the tenacious grip our STI's have, it handling is superior.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Paul.c
1st Gear
I called the salesman and told him not to ship the car up here. I have decided to be mature about a car purchase for a change. I am just going to get a MCS, and just leave it at that.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Paul.c
1st Gear
It's official! We are a 2 mini household. I bought my Mini Cooper S on sept 17 2011. It is Midnight Black Metallic, with chromed factory 16" rib spoke wheels, and a hand painted roof. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Nice rides. Welcome to the 2 Mini family.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM
MSPRO
3rd Gear
Very nice choice in cars. My husband and I both had matching Forester XT's, his a 4eat and mine a stage 2 STI setup 5mt. We ended up selling his and buying our Countryman 3 weeks ago and now he wants to sell my FXTi to get a MCS hardtop. We will see how long it lasts before we are also a 2 Mini family.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Paul.c
1st Gear
I love the FXTi! I was shopping for an xt then decided that a mini Cooper s would be more fun while still getting excellent mpg. But I am still active on the Subaru forums and still love their lineup.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:56 PM
MSPRO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Paul.c
I love the FXTi! I was shopping for an xt then decided that a mini Cooper s would be more fun while still getting excellent mpg. But I am still active on the Subaru forums and still love their lineup.
It is a lot of fun, and I never thought I would drive anything else, but honestly I really love driving our Countryman. It is a base but has the 6MT and even though it is light years slower than my FXTi it is as much fun to drive.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:53 PM
asujosh1
1st Gear
I just picked up an MCS after selling my 08 STI in September of 2010. So far I love it, it's a lot tighter than my STI was, and even though it has about half the hp of my STI, it still has major grin factor!

It's a good thing you didn't get that JCW, they aren't classed at all for any SCCA sanctioned auto-x events but the MCS is.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 AM
vivid2012
Banned
Originally Posted by Paul.c
It's official! We are a 2 mini household. I bought my Mini Cooper S on sept 17 2011. It is Midnight Black Metallic, with chromed factory 16" rib spoke wheels, and a hand painted roof. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking.

wow, looks so sweet stuff.