1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Mini Convertible w/CVT

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:59 PM
vitaman1203
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Mini Convertible w/CVT

Looked at and test drove a 2006 Mini Convertible with CVT today. I could get used to the way the tranny works but after doing some digging came across many owners that had their CVT's fail...It appears that most of them were earlier models but now I am nervous about buying this car. I loved the car and it has 30K miles on it and just ran out of the warranty (I will buy extended for sure) What is the word on the 2006 models compared to earlier ones?
Thanks in advance...

Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought an 05 CVT with 55K on it last May, so far so good. It went in to the local MINI dealer for a check up last summer and they said that she looks fine. Since I didnt have previous service records, they just said that I would want to consider having the fluids changed at the next oil change. So I have that scheduled for next week. I am a little concerned as I am seeing reports of anywhere from $300 - $800 for this. Does anyone know what is a standard charge (at a dealership) for *fluids changed* and an oil change (in the northeast if that makes a difference)? If no one chimes in with that info, I will report back in case that makes a difference to you.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:03 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
Mine was around $400.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've replaced alot of CVT's, so I'd definetly get an extended warranty, and make sure it covers the trans. Those warranties have lots of fine print.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
vitaman1203
Neutral
Have most of them been older models or is it pretty even among years? I prefer a manual but my wife can't (won't) drive one. What about the standard automatic in a 2008? Thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 11:41 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Skip the CVT, if you want auto get the 6 speed Aisin starting with '07 models. While some CVT's are no problem, enough are to make me leary enough to not risk buying one.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 AM
vitaman1203
Neutral
Thanks for the feedback...I pretty much felt the same way but I was almost trying to convince myself cause I love the car so much....Looking at 2 others today, an '07 manual and a '08 automatic...I also noticed that the car hesitated every time coming off the line, almost felt like it would stall...The seller said that is normal with the CVT...Bye Bye CVT...

Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
STLMINI--thanks for the info. I probably wont check back in with an update since the OP has opted to not get a CVT unless someone else chimes in that they are interested.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 AM
CalgaryX3
1st Gear
Smurfette,

At the risk of getting OT, I'll make an interesting observation. I have an '03 MC with a CVT which I acquired in November. Given all the bad press about the CVT, much like you, I booked an appointment with my dealer to have the fluid changed.

Much to my dismay, when I arrived for my appointment yesterday, the service advisor said "oh...its an automatic...we don't do fluid changes in an automatic". She continued by saying that the CVT has a synthetic fluid which is supposed to last a "lifeftime" and never needs checking/changing.

I then spoke to the shop foreman and explained him my concerns based on my readings here and on other sites. He confirmed what the advisor had told me in that he had never changed the fluid on a CVT, and infact, had never seen one fail!!

I left with only an oil change, and grave concern that I'll have to take my MC into a transmission shop now to have the fluid changed. Isn't it bizarre how the dealer wouldn't even know how to address this maintenance issue??

Comments/thoughts?

Cheers
Asif

Last edited by CalgaryX3; 02-01-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure you have a CVT, the fluid needs to be changed every 28-30 miles, it you have an Asian transmission they have lifetime fluid (scary!)

Old 02-01-2010, 11:42 AM
CalgaryX3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Atomic #47
Are you sure you have a CVT, the fluid needs to be changed every 28-30 miles, it you have an Asian transmission they have lifetime fluid (scary!)
No Aisin tranny here; mine's an '03.

A

Old 02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Sorry to the OP for the semi-hijack. I didnt mean that when I first replied.

CalgaryX3/ Asif--I am not certain which fluids I am getting changed. I know an oil change for sure. I also think brake fluid. When I went in for the check up (no problems, the local dealer was just having a MINI appreciation day with free state inspection, check ups and other things), I know the service tech that I talked with mentioned two fluids that he would advise changing at the next oil change since I bought used and there was no record of those two things being changed. I made the appt with the same tech for this week and he rattled off a couple of things to check/ change after I reminded him of what he said at the check up (he genuinely seemed to remember me which suprised me since it had been awhile since I had seen him). I didnt catch exactly what he said. I kind of assumed brake and transmission fluids since those were what seemed right to me. Of course after I talked with the tech I came here and started reading... The prices and the inconsistencies about how to or if a CVT can even have the fluid changed are concerning me a bit. I know a couple of local MINI owners that have been pleased with the work by and the integrity of the local dealership's service area so I feel comfortable 'going with the flow' of course it is always nice to have baseline information so you know if what is going on is normal or not, hence my request for pricing info. In either case I will post a reply after I come back from the shop on Wednesday and have more information. At least you will know what my experience was (which may or may not help you ).

Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
CalgaryX3
1st Gear
Smurfette,

Thanks for lending me your experience at the dealer. I have booked my MC in for a brake fluid/steering/coolant flush for next week and will follow up on my question regarding the CVT fluid change then.

Thanks again!
Asif

Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 PM
vitaman1203
Neutral
Drove a gorgeous '08 manual convertible with the "sidewalk" package today...wow, what a difference between that and the automatic. I guess my wife will have to learn how to drive a stick :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
CalgaryX3/ Asif-- I had my appointment at the dealer today. What I had done was an oil change ($90), Brake fluid change ($140) and Coolant change ($140). They also did a complimentary Winter Inspection. I asked about the CVT and if I needed to have the fluid changed in it. I was told yes. They were able to pull off what things had been done to my MINI at other dealers and we found out that the CVT fluid had been changed at about 26K miles (Feb 2007) (during Inspection I). They then deduced that I would be due for another change at about 61K miles...so it seems like about every 35K miles.

I guess if your dealership wont do it and there isnt another dealership that is close enough for you to reasonable travel to, maybe you should make a post asking for garages or shops in your area that have been able to do the CVT change in your car. Would another car manufacturer be able to help? I know Nissans are using CVTs, perhaps a local Nissan dealer can help you?

I have to say I was very pleased with my dealership and the tech that worked on my car. They did a couple of little things that went above and beyond!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM
CalgaryX3
1st Gear
Smurfette,

Thanks for posting your findings. As it turns out, I did some research into the history of my '03 and learned that it was serviced regularly at a local MINI mechanic. Infact, the owner of the shop was a former tech at the dealer.

A quick phone call to the owner of the garage revealed that he *DOES* recommend a CVT transmission flush, albeit every 100,000KM or three years whichever comes first. Incidentally, my car has it's tranny fluid changed in September '09, so it's good for a while yet.

Ironic how an (independant) MINI mechanic advocated a CVT fluid change, whereas the dealer knows nothing of it!

I guess I know where I'm going for my next service

Thanks again!
Asif

Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Tahoe_Ron
1st Gear
The maker of the CVT transmission recommended a fluid change ever 30K. There is conflicting information from Mini, but I would stick with the 30K since the transmission cannot be rebuit or repaired at the dealer.

The fluid is very specific to this transmission, and you need about 4.5 qts.
Some time ago I posted that I had some of this fluid that I would sell, and I still do. I did the change myself, and it does not require spcial tools. There are other posts on this site that describe the change procedure.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
I'd run away from it as fast as I could. If you really need Auto, either get a 03-06 MCS or 07-on MC.
Run Forest Run!