1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi all, going from VW to Mini :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
ginanana
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, going from VW to Mini :)

Hey everyone, just popping in to say hi. I've been reading through the forums for a few weeks now just trying to learn everything I can.

I'm a member over at VWvortex and Newbeetle.org and currently have a modified 2000 Beetle. Unfortunately (or fortunately, haven't decided yet!) I've done all the mods I wanted to do, the car just hit 100k recently...I just feel like it's the right time to get a different car. Always liked the Minis and I've always heard great things about them. After I test drove one, that sealed the deal

Anyway, look forward to modding whatever Mini I end up buying and learning more about them Seems like a great community here.

Here's a pic of the bug:

Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
nice vdub, how about some pics of the new mini as well. btw where did you get the air deflectors for windows, macneil does not have them fo MINI and I been looking for some for track days

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 PM
k3v1n
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ he/she has not purchased a MINI yet.

I currently have a VW as well, and I'm getting my 2010 MINI within a few months!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:41 AM
minintrigue
4th Gear
I did the same thing when I moved from my modified 97 GLX to my new MINI. Spent a lot of time on the Tex until several years ago but now my time is devoted here. Sometimes I think I should have kept it as it only had 140k on it but then I get in the MINI and i forget about that thought. Welcome.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:43 AM
ginanana
Neutral
Thanks all Looking to get an 05 or 06 MCS in hyper blue, either black or blue roof, black interior w/ heated seats, sunroof, 6 speed for sure. I'm undecided if I want the color matched dash/doors or if grey will be fine. Ideally I'd like the Anthracite headliner package, but it seems difficult to find.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Nice VW! and tastefully modded... Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Mini, you've obviously done your research, good choice in the model years, best of luck in your search and welcome to a great forum. You might enjoy this quote:

"
For the price of a Mini Cooper S, you could buy an Acura RSX Type-S or a Subaru WRX, and either of those cars would be a more reasonable, practical choice. But since when did car nuts become reasonable or practical? How many people have purchased a motorcycle for its excellent fuel economy? The Cooper S is a good value because it is two barrels full of monkeys. It's not unlike a ride on a quick go-kart. It's a rousing game of air hockey. It's a trampoline. It's the infectious laugh after hearing someone fart in church. If we didn't value that highly, we wouldn’t be driving a car like this! "

Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM
ginanana
Neutral
Thanks, it's been my baby for a few years. It has a good handful of performance mods as well as the cosmetic mods, and I'm really psyched to get my hands on a Mini next.

Great quote! I did consider more "grown up" cars, if you will, including the WRX. But I'm only 25, I don't have kids or anything, I don't need a big car. Now's the time for something fun to dump my money into haha

Now here's a question: how do I turn these damn email notifications off? Every time someone responds to a thread I created, I get an email. I went into my CP and switched it off for subscribed threads, but I still get the email anyway. Who's an admin around these parts?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Modified MINI

Originally Posted by ginanana
Thanks, it's been my baby for a few years. It has a good handful of performance mods as well as the cosmetic mods, and I'm really psyched to get my hands on a Mini next.
Great quote! I did consider more "grown up" cars, if you will, including the WRX. But I'm only 25, I don't have kids or anything, I don't need a big car. Now's the time for something fun to dump my money into haha
Now here's a question: how do I turn these damn email notifications off? Every time someone responds to a thread I created, I get an email. I went into my CP and switched it off for subscribed threads, but I still get the email anyway. Who's an admin around these parts?
A MINI is the type of car that is later gonna be and is now a cult classic. Reminding me of that H-D commercial where theres a family gathering and the grand kids ask Grampa did you really have a Harley Davidson? and Grampa says no but did have a motorcycle and grand kids walk away.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 218 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ginanana
Next email you get, look below the quoted text. There's a link you can click to unsubscribe from the thread.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 AM
ginanana
Neutral
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
nice vdub, how about some pics of the new mini as well. btw where did you get the air deflectors for windows, macneil does not have them fo MINI and I been looking for some for track days
Oops, missed this. I got the air deflectors from Weathertech.com. They're a little $$ but look nice since they tuck under the windows instead of sticking on the outside. They work great, too