1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pschuchman
So bummed! I was able to track the Tugela until it left the English Channel...now I can't get the sailwix site to update at all, and Google Earth just wasted an hour of my life I won't get back to download, install, and learn that I can only track passenger ships.

Any ideas on how to track this vessel or do I really have to go blind now until it docks in Baltimore?
I've been using https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-248264000 and it only works in or close to port. Amazingly detailed, is updated roughly every minute or sooner. But when out at sea there are no updates until it arrives close to the destination.

Production completed on mine yesterday, I'm hoping it makes it to Southampton tonight or early tomorrow in time to catch the Tamesis. But I'm figuring it would be amazing if it did catch it. The ship after that is the Parsifal. I'm tracking that one too.

Is there any way to track the car between Oxford and Southampton? I tried to call ASK MINI but they seemed backed up. I was on hold for 10 minutes and gave up.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:57 PM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't find a way to get any updates between Oxford and Southampton. And ASK MINI didn't even know my car was built in Oxford! The guy kept insisting it was built in Germany. I hate when I know more than the "experts".

I guess I have to go blind now...I don't do that well....

Good luck with the boarding! Keep up with the Track and Trace on the WW shipping site - that's how I knew my baby had a ticket - and ASK MINI still doesn't know, btw, - and she's been at sea since 11 pm last night...

Old 02-13-2016, 07:07 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
Varying information now. Seems there's a delay likely.

The Tamesis was supposed to be in Southampton yesterday, 2/12 but was delayed a day. Its there today. ASK-MINI says the car has been booked for a ship but they didn't know the ship name. Meanwhile the WW tracking site shows nothing for the VIN even though the ship is there today.

I had thought the delayed arrival would make it more likely the car would get on the ship, but with it not showing up not he website, I'm thinking it may go on the next ship, the Parsifal. I guess thats still fairly fast.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:07 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
The Tamesis left Southampton without the car :(
The car will end up sitting a whole week after production before the next ship arrives next Wednesday. Since they sped up the order I had started thinking the whole delivery process would be sped up, but its not looking that way. I'm starting to think at least 4 weeks from now before the car would show up. Thats pretty close to the 6 week estimate, despite being in production 48 hours after the order was entered on a weekend.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:39 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dm33
The Tamesis left Southampton without the car :(
The car will end up sitting a whole week after production before the next ship arrives next Wednesday. Since they sped up the order I had started thinking the whole delivery process would be sped up, but its not looking that way. I'm starting to think at least 4 weeks from now before the car would show up. Thats pretty close to the 6 week estimate, despite being in production 48 hours after the order was entered on a weekend.
Ah...that stinks for sure. This waiting is hard.....I find myself looking for reasons to go back to the dealer to sit in the showroom car. I'm just glad they have one in the showroom so it's not so weird with me looking longingly at the ones in the parking lot, LOL...

Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
So bummed! I was able to track the Tugela until it left the English Channel...now I can't get the sailwix site to update at all, and Google Earth just wasted an hour of my life I won't get back to download, install, and learn that I can only track passenger ships.

Any ideas on how to track this vessel or do I really have to go blind now until it docks in Baltimore?
FYI, the Tugela has an updated position as its passed the Azores.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-248264000

Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
FYI, the Tugela has an updated position as its passed the Azores.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels...MMSI-248264000
thank you! It was really good news today...although I'm trying to sit "tight", I will admit that even my husband jumped out of his seat to come see the computer screen with me! So I guess it's not just me who is excited about this....

Old 02-17-2016, 05:52 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
I was impressed with how quickly our car was made, but now disappointed in how difficult it seems to be to ship it. The car was done a week ago today, 2/10 and its been in transit to the port or sitting at the port ever since. There's a ship there now and it still hasn't been booked on the ship. Its leaving tomorrow. If it doesn't make this ship, the next one isn't for another 3 weeks, March 3rd! I can understand that some delay is unavoidable, but this seems excessive. I must admit it makes part of me hedge on the purchase. We'll keep looking at other options until the car actually arrives. Another round of end of month deals coming. If it misses the ship it will be late March before we could get it. When it was built so quickly, I thought it was possible to get it in 4 weeks delivered. Now its looking closer to 2 months.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:05 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
I was impressed with how quickly our car was made, but now disappointed in how difficult it seems to be to ship it. The car was done a week ago today, 2/10 and its been in transit to the port or sitting at the port ever since. There's a ship there now and it still hasn't been booked on the ship. Its leaving tomorrow. If it doesn't make this ship, the next one isn't for another 3 weeks, March 3rd! I can understand that some delay is unavoidable, but this seems excessive. I must admit it makes part of me hedge on the purchase. We'll keep looking at other options until the car actually arrives. Another round of end of month deals coming. If it misses the ship it will be late March before we could get it. When it was built so quickly, I thought it was possible to get it in 4 weeks delivered. Now its looking closer to 2 months.
The booking paperwork didn't come through for me until the very last minute- so don't lose hope on your car getting on that ship that leaves today. Also, the ship with my car didn't leave the port until almost midnight - so even if it's not on yet, it may still get on.

And btw, OL still has my car "awaiting transport" .... not even updated after being on the boat for 8 days already. Seriously behind I'd say...

Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
The booking paperwork didn't come through for me until the very last minute- so don't lose hope on your car getting on that ship that leaves today. Also, the ship with my car didn't leave the port until almost midnight - so even if it's not on yet, it may still get on.

And btw, OL still has my car "awaiting transport" .... not even updated after being on the boat for 8 days already. Seriously behind I'd say...
Turns out I confused the port signs. I was looking for Savannah when the real port is Brunswick. Not so bad after all. There's a ship coming on Saturday and another faster ship arriving Monday. So maybe it won't be that long a wait after all assuming it actually gets on a ship.

Last edited by dm33; 02-18-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
I saw the Tugela unloaded in Baltimore today, so you should be well on the way to getting your new Clubman!

Old 02-21-2016, 05:20 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
I saw the Tugela unloaded in Baltimore today, so you should be well on the way to getting your new Clubman!
Yes, she made it to Baltimore...but I don't think anything happened after she arrived. The Port of Baltimore says it only has working hours Mon-Friday - so I guess she sits on the boat until Monday. I had hoped she'd offload and get on a carrier by mid week, but it may not happen.

We actually leave on vacation on Friday - so we may not get our new car until we return. And my fingers are crossed hoping the dealership won't use it as a test drive car. They actually let us test drive a car that had a sold tag in it, so I'm not sure they won't.

Which will drive me crazy...no pun intended.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:17 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Yes, she made it to Baltimore...but I don't think anything happened after she arrived. The Port of Baltimore says it only has working hours Mon-Friday - so I guess she sits on the boat until Monday. I had hoped she'd offload and get on a carrier by mid week, but it may not happen.

We actually leave on vacation on Friday - so we may not get our new car until we return. And my fingers are crossed hoping the dealership won't use it as a test drive car. They actually let us test drive a car that had a sold tag in it, so I'm not sure they won't.

Which will drive me crazy...no pun intended.
Looks like the port is operational on the weekend. The Tugela has left Baltimore, presumably unloaded.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:02 PM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Looks like the port is operational on the weekend. The Tugela has left Baltimore, presumably unloaded.
Well, I hope she left my Clubman on the dock! Seriously, the information is so confusing. Everything says the port is closed...so I guess it really isn't completely "closed".

Oh well...so much for the information...

Old 02-21-2016, 05:08 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Well, I hope she left my Clubman on the dock! Seriously, the information is so confusing. Everything says the port is closed...so I guess it really isn't completely "closed".

Oh well...so much for the information...
Looks like your Clubman is well on its way. Not sure if by Friday, but pretty close.

I had thought your car was only a couple of days ahead of mine. My production was done 2/10. However, here we are and my car is also sitting at a dock, but on the other side of the 'pond', only managing to have moved 67 miles from Oxford. And no indication of how much longer it may sit there.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Looks like your Clubman is well on its way. Not sure if by Friday, but pretty close.

I had thought your car was only a couple of days ahead of mine. My production was done 2/10. However, here we are and my car is also sitting at a dock, but on the other side of the 'pond', only managing to have moved 67 miles from Oxford. And no indication of how much longer it may sit there.
I am so sorry...and so disappointed for you. I can't imagine why it didn't get on that last boat. And is it really 3 weeks for another one? That seems crazy. Did you decide to look at other cars, or wait on this one?

I'm hoping for some information this week, but as of now I do have the record of discharge from the boat. So I guess someone was at the dock to unload it.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:54 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
I am so sorry...and so disappointed for you. I can't imagine why it didn't get on that last boat. And is it really 3 weeks for another one? That seems crazy. Did you decide to look at other cars, or wait on this one?

I'm hoping for some information this week, but as of now I do have the record of discharge from the boat. So I guess someone was at the dock to unload it.
I was wrong about the 3 weeks because I mixed up entrance port. But despite that, there was a ship there on Saturday and another one there today that were both going to Brunswick, yet the car didn't make it on either ship.

I do not understand why shipping out of Southampton is suddenly so difficult. I never would have believed the car would just sit at the port for 2 weeks and counting. And there is no indication it will ever get on a ship. Why don't they book it in advance?

This coming weekend is the end of month and there are deals for competitive cars. At this rate, I may not get the car by the end of March and could look at deals then too.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:00 PM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
I was wrong about the 3 weeks because I mixed up entrance port. But despite that, there was a ship there on Saturday and another one there today that were both going to Brunswick, yet the car didn't make it on either ship.

I do not understand why shipping out of Southampton is suddenly so difficult. I never would have believed the car would just sit at the port for 2 weeks and counting. And there is no indication it will ever get on a ship. Why don't they book it in advance?

This coming weekend is the end of month and there are deals for competitive cars. At this rate, I may not get the car by the end of March and could look at deals then too.
It seems crazy that it's sitting there if you've had a chance to get on ships...is that three it's missed now?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:20 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
It seems crazy that it's sitting there if you've had a chance to get on ships...is that three it's missed now?
Its more than 3. Closer to 5. Hard to keep track of between K-Line and WW.

How can Mini afford to do this? They say they make 700 cars a DAY at the factory. Yet they're letting cars pile up at the port for over two weeks. We're looking at 2 1/2 weeks IF it gets on the next ship. Thats almost 5000 cars a week, thats 10,000 cars in two weeks. How can you have 10,000 cars piling up at the port? Something sounds out of whack.

List of ships it didn't get on so far.
2/10 production completed
2/12 Brasilia Highway, K-Line
2/15 reported to be at the port
2/17 Manon, WW
2/20 Integrity, WW
2/21 Columbia Highway, K-Line
2/23 Tiger, WW

Upcoming ships
2/26 Eurasian Highway, K-Line
2/27 Resolve, WW
2/28 Elektra, WW

Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Well, I guess it doesn't matter how quickly it gets across the pond...it sits at the VDC. My dealer just called to tell me my car won't get on a carrier to the dealership (which is only 1 hour away) until FRIDAY. Unfortunately, that means it sits at the dealership as we leave for vacation for a week on FRIDAY.

Disappointment all around....they knew our timeframes, and we also made it clear we didn't want the car to sit at the dealer as I know they will use it for test drives. I'm actually getting very agitated just thinking about that part....

Old 02-23-2016, 10:02 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
we also made it clear we didn't want the car to sit at the dealer as I know they will use it for test drives. I'm actually getting very agitated just thinking about that part....
Seems reasonable to ask them not to let it be used for test drives.
Can you pick it up at the VDC?

If I had realized it would be so slow shipping out of Southampton, I would have ordered out of a dealer in DC area. I asked my MA about being stuck in the port and he responded with a condescending note that they don't ship the day after its made (its been 2 weeks). That has reignited my worry about having a single dealership in the area. If we end up not liking them there's no second dealership around here.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:55 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
Seems reasonable to ask them not to let it be used for test drives. Can you pick it up at the VDC? If I had realized it would be so slow shipping out of Southampton, I would have ordered out of a dealer in DC area. I asked my MA about being stuck in the port and he responded with a condescending note that they don't ship the day after its made (its been 2 weeks). That has reignited my worry about having a single dealership in the area. If we end up not liking them there's no second dealership around here.
Actually they gave us a sold car to test drive. That's why I'm worried.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 PM
dm33
2nd Gear
Posted on a different thread but I'll mention here that the car we've ordered is reportedly on the Columbia Highway as of a couple of days ago, bound for Baltimore, then Brunswick.

Next phase of the following it around. I found a website, https://www.marinetraffic.com that normally does AIS tracking like many of the other sites. That only works close to shore. But they also offer an add on for 1 month for 1 ship for around $16 that will let you track via satellite. I've just purchased the add-on and it seems to be working. Found the ship out at sea with position current as of 30 minutes ago. Pretty cool. Looks like its tracking somewhat south of its planned track, making 15 knots, wind forecast looks fairly mild most of the way.

Last edited by dm33; 02-23-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 AM
pschuchman
2nd Gear
I just wanted to update - we did indeed pick up the car at Sterling Mini on Thursday evening- late that night before they closed, and we had to leave for vacation early Friday morning. We have it, though, in the garage at home with only 41 miles on it so far. I'll post photos when I return, and we are scheduled for the vehicle wrap the week of 3/15 - so I'll for sure post photos after that too.

The wait after the boat landing was the worst I think - knowing it was an hour away and not being able to do anything - for 5 more days was hard. But in the end, I will forget it unless I buy or order another one someday. Jury is still out on that - still getting used to it.

And of course, it will certainly depend on the service department at the dealer...not handy enough to fix anything myself. Extended service plan people we are...

Attached Thumbnails How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated-miniclubman.jpg  

Last edited by pschuchman; 02-28-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 AM
dm33
2nd Gear
I just wanted to update - we did indeed pick up the car at Sterling Mini on Thursday evening- late that night before they closed, and we had to leave for vacation early Friday morning. We have it, though, in the garage at home with only 41 miles on it so far. I'll post photos when I return, and we are scheduled for the vehicle wrap the week of 3/15 - so I'll for sure post photos after that too.

The wait after the boat landing was the worst I think - knowing it was an hour away and not being able to do anything - for 5 more days was hard. But in the end, I will forget it unless I buy or order another one someday. Jury is still out on that - still getting used to it.

And of course, it will certainly depend on the service department at the dealer...not handy enough to fix anything myself. Extended service plan people we are...
Awesome! Looks great! I guess you're traveling by air, otherwise would be a great excuse to drive the new car. Glad they were able to get you the car just in time before you left.

What do you mean the jury is still out? Debating if it was worth ordering or having second thoughts on the car?

We sometimes hedge on the Mini. I have two kids, pre-teen, boys. I don't want the car to be a commuter car just for me. It has to be able to comfortably seat the four of us. We went looking at Golfs again. Then went back and sat in a JCW 4 door Mini surprisingly similar to what we've ordered. I was surprised at how much less room there is inside vs. the Golf. First reaction was its way too small. But as we kept sitting in it debating, it kept growing on us, again. Its big enough for us all to squeeze into yet it is a lot smaller. But it does have loads of personality. I just hope the kids don't suddenly decide its too small and refuse to ride in the back seat at some point. They're both boys, so if you stick them too close together, some form of fighting or arguing always ensues. I'd love to be able to do road trips. My wife and I have toyed with the idea of all of us doing parts of Mini Takes The States. But that might get us seriously tired of being stuck in a tiny car.

Our ordered car is most of the way to Baltimore, then on to Brunswick. We still have about two weeks until the car arrives here. Thats when we really have to decide.

Quick Reply: How to Track your MINI: Revised, Expanded and Updated