1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Advise needed - I only had my new mini for one day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
RedRockeater
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Advise needed - I only had my new mini for one day!

I waited patiently for 8 weeks for my awesome mini to arrive. The day I was to pick it up, the dealer called and said there was a 'hesitation' issue they were ironing out. They replaced an o2 sensor and when that didn't help, they replaced another sensor. At last I drove my mini home, then drove to and from work the next day (50miles). Excited to take a longer drive, I headed West on the I90 for a weekend away. After 45 minutes - the 'hesitation' kicked in eeks! Fortunately, I was near a service/rest area and I turned right in and parked. My dealer was very accommodating - sent me a new BMW and told me to have a nice weekend - they would take care of my mini.

So now it needs a new wiring harness (available only from Germany). We wait until it gets here and pray it solves the problem.....

Here are the questions - Do I keep this mini (which has everything I want) and hope this will be the only thing wrong with it?

Do I take one of the other new minis they have found in the US (which are sorta close to what I want - but not exactly)?

Do I start from scratch and order another mini (like the first) and hope nothing is wrong with it?

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Thanks for any help and suggestions!!!

RedRockeater

Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
staz87
2nd Gear
Depends...

The cost of getting another MINI may be more than it's worth. I'd stick it out, it's all covered and you're not going to be able to sell a "hesitating" mini very easily.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Auto_Pilot
6th Gear
I say wait it out as well...especially if it has all that you want, and they are giving you a New BMW as a loaner...what a bargain.

Chances are...they will get the problem ironed out and that will be that. Otherwise, you may want to look into the lemon laws for your state. I highly doubt you'll have to use it (I used it once in my lifetime), but its good to know your rights.

Happy motoring.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
personally, I'd be up in arms over the issue. Sure a nice loaner and promises to take care of the issue are cool but too many "what if's?"

I mean, if they "fix it" and it STAYS fixed, cool. But What If it comes back in a year or so? Will they then take more drastic steps or will they continue to Fix It ... rinse, repeat until the warranty runs out? Then what?

(not trying to sound negative, but this is your baby we're talking about )

Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Magpie
1st Gear
I can't imagine going through the wait twice... have they offered to let you buy one of the similar ones as a replacement for the one with the problem?

Curious to know how it worked out - hopefully the fix was an easy one and it sticks.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Magpie
1st Gear
Yay - I just got into 1st gear and I it was purely accidental

Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM
RedRockeater
Neutral
The dealer has offered similar minis but none quite the same. We are still waiting for the wiring harness. Based on feedback from many different sources, I'm going to give my original mini one more chance. I just worry that if one thing is wrong, many things could be wrong. Do I dare say Lemon? Was the car made on a Friday afternoon? Am I a glutton for punishment? You are right, I'm not sure I could take another wait!