1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer negligence?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:42 AM
bmwjim
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer negligence?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with dealer negligence?
Took my 2004 MINI in to the BMW/MINI dealer to fix an oil pan leak after an 800-mile trip. Car doesn't get driven much and as expected was just a dried out gasket, which was remedied. Oil changed and car returned to me.
As part of their 29-point courtesy review of my car, they quickly came up with $3,000 of "suggestions". As I was on a Christmas holiday trip, I opted to not perform these tasks as I would prefer to spend that money in my own community.
When I got the car back, it was a totally different car. Knocking noise in the front end and a slight vibration.
I turned around and went back to the dealer within 15 minutes. "What the heck did you do to my car?"
The service agent referred to the 29-point list and pointed to the two worn suspension bushings.
I stated that I had just driven 800 miles two days ago and had driven around the city a couple of days without any noise or vibration. The husband of the family I was visiting drives a Carerra as his daily driver and had taken my MINI for a day and commented on how tight and fun the car was to drive even commenting on that it was as much fun as his car at a fraction of the cost.
Worn bushings at 30,000 miles? And, the dealer wanted $850.00 to replace them. They stated that I was at no risk of any doing any damage and sent me on my way again. I would opt to do the suspension work at my local dealer upon my return.
Two days later, I returned to the dealer where I was visiting as the noise had gotten worse and now the vibration had turned into a rotational grind.
I insisited a mechanic take my MINI for a test drive as I was leaving to return home the next morning and needed to confimr the roadworthiness of my vehicle.
The mechanic returned again stating the need to replace the $850.00 bushings and that the rotational noise was due to my brake rotors not being turned when my new disc pads were installed. I stated it felt more like a bad wheel bearing than a bad rotor.
Again, they assured me I could take care of these tasks when I returned home and sent me on my way.
OK, here's the good part.
I packed up and left the next morning.
30 MILES OUTSIDE OF THE CITY, MY RIGHT FRONT WHEEL SHEERED OFF!!!!
And, when this happens, it rips off your fender as well. A perfect MINI now with substantial damage. Very luckily, no one was injured.
To no surprise, the dealer is trying to back out of any responsibility of this incident.
Anyone want to wager that when I get the wheel back on (tightened this time) and the car is driveable, that the suspension noise is not there at all?
I wonder if I had spent the $850.00 to replace the bushings and the noise was still there that the mechainc would have finally figured out that the wheel bolts had been left loose?

Any suggestions?
I will contact BMW of North America and report this incident. It is obviously dealer negligence.

My insurance will cover the short term damage, but I will be out close to $2,000 by the time I get my MINI back with airline tickets, deductible, etc.
Not to mention the depreciated value of an absolutely perfect car that is now Car-faxed challenged.