1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Hubby isn't happy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Morris08
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Hubby isn't happy!

Hi All!
This is my very first post. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Sir Maximilian Cooper S (Max for short) from the Tasco. He is the sparkling silver one with the black roof.

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet. How do I sell this car to my husband? He drives a '02 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon. He LOVES his car and wants me to buy a Saab. I was hoping he would be as sold on the MINI as I was on the test drive- but he came up with a whole list of complaints:
- He's cramped in it (6'0 with very broad shoulders. It's the shoulder width, not the height that was bugging him)
- It's too small (All the sudden he thinks I drive around all the time hauling a bunch of stuff.)
- It's too noisy
- The rear view mirror is too big and blocks his field of vision out the windshield
- It's expensive (Max is pretty loaded!)
- I'll never be able to drive the dog to the grocery store. (How often do I do that???) I'm thinking, as a seamstress and a scientist, that I can come up with some kind of barrier to put between the seats so I can drop the seat on one side for the dog and put the groceries in the boot or on the seat on the other side. Anyone think this is doable?
- I'll never be able to put my bike in it. I am going to take my bike to the dealership to prove him wrong on that one.

Can anyone out there help me with this one???? I really want him to be just as excited by my car as I am.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:45 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
Has he test driven it HIMSELF?
I think if he drives the car, it will sell itself!

Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
LowCountry S
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you obviously need to work on his training; he's supposed to keep YOU happy, ( also have him drive it, can't believe he likes a saab over the MINI)

Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
redlinedave
2nd Gear
get him to buy you a mini waggon

Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
So if you bought the car without him noticing, maybe he won't notice the car! He does drive a Saab wagon . Not that there is anything wrong with a Saab wagon....

Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
6'2" If it fine, but you've got to play with the seats a bit and adjust to a more "proper" position to get comfy. If the drive 3+ hours I partially fold a towel and use it for extra padding for comfort.

Small, without a sunroof I get real mentally cramped in these cars, now I've moved 1+k mi in this car twice, and lived on a road trip for two months (and the gear that entails). I've taken to the track with 4 jack stands proper jack, tool set, 5 tires. I've carried desks shelves chairs without issue. I can comfortably fit 3 adults.

Noisy- you'll have to be more specific, road noise from tires will change when you go through a set, you can pick a quieter tread. Sound deadening material is quite easy to add. And it's quiet enough that on the highway you've got to be careful you're not well over the common speed
and keep an eye on that speedo.

Mirror yeah you get a good set of roads it can get in the way, some people adjust their to be removed quickly when they know they're up for sequences of tight turns. It's distraction is MINImal for me with how I sit.

$$$ is from what you decided you needed/wanted

Most importantly, bike rack! You can put a generic one on the hatch, there's some OEM solutions, aftermarket roof rack option.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Miss_M007
1st Gear
Originally Posted by UKDragon
Has he test driven it HIMSELF?
I think if he drives the car, it will sell itself!
+1. my fiance wasn't too keen on the mini until he got behind the wheel. just let him drive it. hehe. before u know it, he'll be wanting his own.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
IsAMini
6th Gear
+1 My hubby ended buying another one.....MY 03, HIS Miata and OUR 07. He's 6 ft and has no problem with the MINIs but does with his Miata. MINIs grow on ya and probably will on your husband and if it doesn't then it is more seat time for you!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
hmmmmm

Convince him that you want a 9-3 convertable... then change your mind.
If you do this the following points he tries to make won't be valid anymore.

Originally Posted by Morris08
- It's expensive (Max is pretty loaded!)
- I'll never be able to drive the dog to the grocery store. (How often do I do that???) I'm thinking, as a seamstress and a scientist, that I can come up with some kind of barrier to put between the seats so I can drop the seat on one side for the dog and put the groceries in the boot or on the seat on the other side. Anyone think this is doable?
- I'll never be able to put my bike in it. I am going to take my bike to the dealership to prove him wrong on that one.
Compared to a Saab it is noisy and there isn't much you can do other then change out the run flats. Tell him you don't want a quiet luxury car you want something that lets you hear the road and point out that what he thinks is noise is music to your ears.

It did take me a while to realize that the MINI wasn't all that small but I don't have extremely broad shoulders. I do only let others I like in the car because if you are going to sit that close to someone you best like them.

good luck but ultimately do what will make you happy

Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
YYC
4th Gear
It's your car! It doesn't really matter what he thinks....does it!!??

I drive to the grocery store all the time...shopping for a family of five, with three teenagers.....no problems! (just fold the seats!).

Love your name choice (and color choice)!

Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
My hubby wasn't crazy about mine either until he drove it.

He is 6'5 and fits fine with the seat adjusted properly. We've taken several 3-hour trips with him as both passenger and driver with no issues or complaints.

I have two 75-pound dogs that ride in the back with no issues.

I just came home this afternoon with $300 in groceries, no problem.

Thule makes a great no-holes roof rack that can handle anything (bike, skis, snowboard, whatever), or you can get a hitch with a bike rack.

Now my hubby calls it "a cool little car". It took a little while, maybe a month or two, but he loves it now. It's the car of choice over his "big comforable" Yukon when we meet friends for dinner because he says it's "more stylish", hehe.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 PM
miniconcarne
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79

I have two 75-pound dogs that ride in the back with no issues.

I just came home this afternoon with $300 in groceries, no problem.
Good thing it wasn't $300 in dog food!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:18 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that would be *heavy*, but it would still fit!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:19 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If he drives the MINI and still doesn't care for it, divorce him... something is seriously wrong with the man.

Okay, okay, that's not very rational, I know. But seriously, I think it will grow on him if he has an open mind. And if not, I'm pretty sure you can find other ways to keep the hubby happy.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Morris08
1st Gear
I love go-karts!

Originally Posted by YYC
Love your name choice (and color choice)!

Thanks YYC! Love your license plate! My Motoring Advisor at the dealership is trying to talk me into personalized plates, once I told her the name. I figure this will be the only time in my life I'll get to use the name Maximilian.

I'm really hoping the husband will get used to the MINi and will learn to love it. But, as I keep hearing from friends on in the replies, it is my car. Even if it is an "overloaded go-kart". His words, not mine. Can this marriage be saved? LOL!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Scoopmama
6th Gear
I sweetly reminded my hubby that a new MINI is much less expensive than marriage therapy or a divorce during a mid-life crisis!

Of course, he's known that I've wanted one desperately for 6 years. Is it our car? No! It's my baby!

Don't worry about making him happy with your car. You could probably come up with all kinds of counter points about the SAAB that you never did like, but were too nice to ever say so. . .

Most of all, ENJOY your MINI! He'll be happy just seeing how happy you are.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
mauberley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
IOkay, okay, that's not very rational, I know.
I see the logic in your reasoning. What's irrational about it?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:47 PM
artmamayellowmini
1st Gear
Okay..... lower the seat........He will not be so cramped and there will seem like lots more head room. Then he can see out of the window... while the review mirror is still there. You only hope that he won't like the MINI because if he did then He would want to drive it more and you would be stuck with the SAAB. We put skis inside and go skiing.... Should be room for dogs and food!
Artmamayellowmini....but now it's blue...

Old 01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
chunkymonkey
Neutral
I honestly don't understand how he's cramped at 6'. My husband is 6'2" and built pretty big through his upper body. Plus, he likes to sprawl in his seat. Yet, he still finds my MINI roomy because of the width side-to-side.
I can recommend a few "narrow" cars for you to go test drive with him, if you want him to feel really squeezed. The HHR springs to mind.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
+1 for those that suggested having him test drive it.

I am 6'2" with a large frame and have no problems. I find that I have more room in the front seats than I did in my previous vehicle which was a Ford F-150 pickup. There is even more head and leg room than in our Audi A4. I have done many 5+ hour drives with no comfort issues. In fact my longest drive to date is over 8 hours without any problems. My wife and I have used the MINI for most of the vacations that we have taken since '02 when we got our first MCS.

There is plenty of room for two people and all of the gear they would need for an extended vacation. Even without adding a roof rack and cargo box.

I have the factory roof rack and an aftermarket cargo box that I use to haul large or dirty items so that I do not have to put them inside. The factory rack is the most solid and has the highest load capacity(165lbs) of any rack system. I also haul two 15' kayaks and two bicycles, but not all at the same time.

Just get him to go for a drive in one, he'll love it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bilbo-Baggins; 01-04-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
A/V Guru
1st Gear
Wow, not only do I not get to choose my wifes car.............I have to pay for it as well! You've obviously done your research, convince him it's perfect for you! I have a 105 lb. Bouvier and Otis fits nicely in the back with the seats down. I'd just put the groceries in the front seat. Good luck!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Morris08
Hi All!
This is my very first post. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Sir Maximilian Cooper S (Max for short) from the Tasco. He is the sparkling silver one with the black roof.
Sounds like he just needs to get used to your MINI and learn to like it since it's already on its way to you.

Seriously, he needs to drive it if he hasn't already. It may not be his first choice even then, but it's your car to enjoy. He can still be happy with his Saab if he wants.

Originally Posted by A/V Guru
Wow, not only do I not get to choose my wifes car.............I have to pay for it as well!
Just like me.

I'm fortunate that my wife loves my (our) MINI, but she would be the first to tell you that is is my car. She has her SUV, which she chose, and I have Gromit. Fortunately, now she is thinking about a Clubman.

Last edited by Mishka; 01-04-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I'm 6'7", and fairly broad shouldered. I have more than enough room, including a helmet when I autocross. He needs to sit in the driver's seat, and play with the various seat and steering wheel adjustments.

The only complaint that I agree with him on, is the rear view mirror. For us tall guys, it really does block too much forward vision. After awhile, you get used to it, and doing a little head movement to see around the thing. I'd replace that in an instant if there were a good aftermarket version available.

As far as dogs go, someone on NAM drives their two St. Bernards around with them. Just fold down the rear seats, you'll have bags of room.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
liafia
3rd Gear
I travel with a dog constantly...Standard Poodle...fits fine. I just let her in the drivers door, and pull the seat back forward. I have had kids in the back seat with her too!

Don't let him like it. He will want to drive it. You'll never get it back. Encourage him to dislike it!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:13 PM
PGT
Banned
we used to ride all the time with two large pups in the back seat of our Cabrio. Even to the grocery store. I take the smaller one with me every Sunday morning....the grocery store gives away free donuts and Mojo Spongepants of Waterford (my rescued flat coated retriever's faux show dog name) loves to eat them.

the other pup digging the view

Quick Reply: Help! Hubby isn't happy!