1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member Here

Hi everyone. I have always liked the Mini and I will finally get to buy one. I liked this little car ever since my cousin's teacher drove up in one back in 1986, I think her car was a 998cc model. Then later when I was in Taiwan I happened to see a pretty new Mini Cooper, it was dark blue with tan leather interior, this was back in 1995. I didn't know the classic Mini was made 'till 2000. When I saw that car I thought it was really well restored for a Mini. Well, now with the new MINI, I think is my turn to admire one from the inside and not just the outside.

I am very interested in buying a Mini Cooper S. But so far the dealers I have contacted only have cars that are heavily optioned and the price is higher than what I would like to pay for one. Also the color choices are not what I am looking for.

Was wondering if any of you bought a Mini for MSRP or lower? Can you get a discount if you have to order a Mini the way you want it?

Last edited by byhsu; 08-24-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:24 PM
batgirlwildcat
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!

Many dealers will sell a new MINI for MSRP. Not below. You can configure one on MINIUSA with whichever options you want and that's the MSRP. You may be able to find an unsold '06 on the lot for under.

Figure out what you want and start calling around to different dealers. In a few months there may also be unsold '07s they want to unload.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
OK, so buying at MSRP is normal then? A dealer showed me the MSRP of $27,150 for one car, and their Price was over $31K and with the internet discount, it was still more than $28K. I guess I won't be dealing with that dealer.

I am interested in the 2007 MCS, so do you know when the 2008's are coming out? Maybe I will wait and hope to get a good deal on an unsold 2007.

Last edited by byhsu; 08-24-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:46 PM
andyde
5th Gear
I found out that most cars were selling at MSRP but I also found out that some dealers were jacking up the price.

I was fortunate enough to have gotten mine w/ a small discount. It had been sitting on the lot for a month, the original 'configutor' did nothave the financing in line so the deal fell through. I got it for $500.00 under MSRP

The cars has been great so far...

Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should be able to get a little discount on the '07s when the '08s start hitting the lots....

Old 08-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to NAM....it does pay to shop around so to speak. Call dealers - see what they might have...but ultimately - most people order their MINI to get exactly what they want. The key is to order it from a dealer close by that doesn't jack up the price or put on additional items you don't want. MSRP is the norm. Good luck!!

Donna

Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
OK, I have decided to order the 2008 MCS, when I come back from vacation. Would like to know if the Sport Suspension will make the ride too harsh. I have a friend who has the 2003 MCS, and he told me the ride was harsh, don't know if his car has the sport suspension or not. He did tell me he has the sport package.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:26 PM
old81
M6
Welcome to NAM, I see you have some good answers from other folks, so I will not rehash. Do not pay a premium for you MINI, go to a MSRP dealer.

If your planning on the MINI to be your daily driver and the car you take on trips, I would pass on the sport suspension. If you are going to be doing some intense driving on track or possibly autoX, then you might consider the sport suspension. If your going for all the 'bling' I would suggest you get the JCW suspension and Stage I Engine kit with your new 07/08, then you can add on the extra factory body kit you like best.

Some folks get the base MCS and do aftermarket mods, which is the way I will probably go after the car has matured for about 6 months.

Thoughts only, YMMV!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
andyde
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
You should be able to get a little discount on the '07s when the '08s start hitting the lots....
+1

If your planning on the MINI to be your daily driver and the car you take on trips, I would pass on the sport suspension.

Well said, I have heard the SP does tend to be on rough side, specially with not so well paved roads...yikes

Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
I will be using the car mostly for daily driving. I do like to drive aggresive and a good handling would be great. The roads that I travel vary from well paved, to some not so smooth, with little bumps here and there. I also do take some twisty mountain roads sometimes. So without the sport suspension the car will still handle well?

I don't know if the sport package from the R53 Mini included the sport suspension or not. Or is the sport suspension of the R53 the same as the standard suspesion of the R56. and the sport suspension of the R56 is a notch stiffer than the R53?