1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Investigative first time question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Elreq
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Investigative first time question

i have been pondering buying this vehicle for some time now. i live in the northwest about 60 miles away from the Fife dealership in Washington. this is my biggest hang up. if i have trouble with the car that is a long way to travel. were i to buy another brand of almost any other kind there would be dealerships and auto shops all around, no matter where i was, that could assist me.

so the question. how is it that you have found to justify purchasing a vehicle that requires such a distance to be made for any minor troubles? other than my motorcycle i have never purchased a new/ newer vehicle. so to buy this vehicle and have such a limited area to take the vehicle to work on it kinda turns me off towards purchasing this vehicle. especially to keep it under warrenty.

thanks for your help.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
60 miles isn't that far, if you have troubles Mini roadside assistance would take care of it. My closest dealer is about 200 (or more) miles away. I've only been there twice for the "scheduled" maintenance. Check out my thread here to see what I've spent in 4 1/2 years and 150,000+ miles.

Nik

Old 08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
old81
M6
Welcome to NAM, first things first, MINI does provide tow in service. So if you break, your convered. You can extend this option if you decide to keep the car into high mileage.

My 07 has been very trouble free, some folks are getting CELs (check engine lights). I am very careful to ensure the gas cap is on correctly. As I type this, I'm sure I will have some small problem in the weeks to come. I am 45 miles from my dealership. I figure I will save up the little todo items, then schedule an appointment then dicker for a loaner. Worse comes to worse I take the bus home and use my wife's jeep.

I would not let the distance scare you off, these are a wonderful car with lots of ways to enjoy them.

The people who are on NAM and at the local MINI clubs help out and make MINI ownership worth the effort.

Go configure your MINI or find the perfect pre-owned MINI to adopt.

You will not regret it, you may have a few less than perfect moments, but overall, MINIs are the most fun you can have which is legal.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Elreq
Neutral
my main concern i guess is more when the little things happen when you get the cel or something fairly minor like that. now i have to schedule a 60mile trek to be told "oh that is just nothing we will reset it and your out of here" or you think its minor and the next thing you know you have to have your wife drive down in your other car now making it a 120 mile one way trip plus seattle and tacoma traffic. it almost seems not worth getting the car to me. plus i wouldnt doubt with the price that i will most likely be getting a used one, and i dont know how abused it is so i may be ending up making alot of trips to the dealer.

for example i have had a re-accuring problem with my day time running light on my 03 sierra which i have had to go in multiple times for. now this isnt a problem at all seeing as the dealer is 3 miles away. but turn that into a 60 mile drive, just going there twice is a big hassel. i ended up going back over the same issue 4 times in 3 days. that would be crazy if it were the mini dealer. i like to stay ontop of my repairs and it would seem so miserable to deal with that 120 mile round trip. do you see what im saying. obviously you who have bought, have thought this is not a problem. and i am just looking to see how you have justified this in your head.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you test driven one of these autos? The thing that makes the trip to the dealer fun is the car itself! The daily drive where you live will be wonderful. I lived in the Puyallup area for about 17 years and where I am now, we're about the same distance you speak of. I have changed my oil once (before factory specs) and am due for my first "covered" service, soon. I have been to Indy about three times for various things, but since we go there often anyway, it wasn't a problem. Just drive an S with a 6-speed and you'll be hooked! Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:49 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I hear what you're saying. But it was a chance that I was willing to take. I've had the SEL/CEL light go on a few times. Bought a cheapo scanner, and from this forum did a search and found out what the problem was and fixed it myself. (actually came on after dealer did a service).

Would I buy another? In a heart beat!

Nik

Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
I'm 200 miles south of Portland and I had the same concerns as you, only a 60-mile trek to the dealer would seem like a vacation to me. Really, I've gone to dinner in Eugene, a 140-mile trip, and never considered that a long trip.

I had looked at these cars for several years and what took me over the top was the 20 percent increase in gas mileage on this year's model and Consumer Reports recognition last summer of the improvement in the Mini's reliability.

I don't want to make a three-hour trip one-way for any repairs. In talking to another dozen local owners, they haven't had any breakdown problems on their older model cars.

Good luck on your decision.