1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First car and love it!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to NAM. Congrats on the new MINI. My first car was my 2006 xB. You're still luckier than me. That cooper cost more than mine.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Rocapotamus
1st Gear
You are sooo lucky! I'm still awaiting my first Mini...(get scheduled for production already damnit!!)

Though I was rather lucky for my first car too, got a brand new '00 Ford Expedition which I promptly traded in for a '00 Civic Ex to save gas :P

Old 08-22-2007, 09:08 AM
swimstar208
Neutral
So I finally introduce you to my MINI (who by the way still needs a name...)

Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
I didn't realize chokes were still used so late in life. My first car had one, too, but it was a 1953 Chevy. Four-door, so it wasn't very cool. But a great car to learn how to shift in.

Bought it when I was 15. Loved being able to get a license at 14 in Idaho.
Yeah, it was a 'dad' fix. It didnt work, actually nothing on the car worked. I sure got a lot of exercise when I had that car.
I also got my drivers license here in Idaho at age 14! Looking back now, I do believe that was a pretty silly thing to give me.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Originally Posted by swimstar208
So I finally introduce you to my MINI (who by the way still needs a name...)

That is a really sweet looking car. Bet you are the envy of all your friends!!!
Now the naming process begins. Is your car a boy or girl?
If you cant come up with a name, dont force it. The car will tell you when its good and ready!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Make sure you remember this when your parents are in their 80's, suffering from severe arthritis, and need help getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Me... I paid every nickel of every car I ever owned, even the 1972 Mercury Capri that I bought when I was 16 years old in 1977.

So, when my parents get old and are ridden with arthritis, they're on their own !!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by moodylewdd
I also got my drivers license here in Idaho at age 14! Looking back now, I do believe that was a pretty silly thing to give me.
My driver's training instructor, who was the elementary school principal, told my mom I was definitely not ready to drive on my own, even though I had earned my license.

Later, my brother in law took me out in his Firebird to let me practice along the winding river highway between Emmett and Horseshoe Bend. That's the same road those four students from Sweet were killed on last winter.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Madcaps
1st Gear
You have one cool set of parents!

My first car was something my parents bought used from an elderly couple for 2k. It was nick named the "yuckmobile" by my brother and sister.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
old81
M6
Nice pictures, keep the MINI looking good and enjoy driving. Get to know your MINI and drive safe.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
My driver's training instructor, who was the elementary school principal, told my mom I was definitely not ready to drive on my own, even though I had earned my license.

Later, my brother in law took me out in his Firebird to let me practice along the winding river highway between Emmett and Horseshoe Bend. That's the same road those four students from Sweet were killed on last winter.
Yeah, 14 is too young. They are a little stricker now. My son is 16, has his permit, has been through drivers training, and now has to log 40 hours behind the wheel. Then there is a limit as to who can be in the car (two relatives or one friend only...until age 18). Hopefully it will help prevent things like what happened to those 4 kids you speak of.
Being a parent makes me think that even that is not enough. I only have one kid, and the last thing I want to do is loose him on the road to a stupid accident/decision.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:32 PM
swimstar208
Neutral
Originally Posted by moodylewdd
That is a really sweet looking car. Bet you are the envy of all your friends!!!
Now the naming process begins. Is your car a boy or girl?
If you cant come up with a name, dont force it. The car will tell you when its good and ready!
Its a girl. And I just moved to austin so i don't really no anyone yet.(hopefully that will change monday) Thats one of the main reasons I got the car, because my dad feels bad that he made me move right before my junior year in high school. And I didn't really mind moving so this is a complete plus.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
OMG! Your the same age as my son, and you have a MINI??? I thought maybe you had graduated, and were on your way to college or something.
Holy crap batman.
My son has a 1970 Dodge truck he worked all summer for. He is still riding the bus, and will be until he can pay his own insurance premium.
I am not EVEN telling him about you!!!
Hope you really appreciate what your dad did/does for you!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:15 PM
swimstar208
Neutral
Yeah my dad is AMAZING...but my mom is great too. We get along really well (most of the time) and I am SOOO thankful for that because some of my friends don't have great relationships with their parents and it makes me realize how much i appreciate them.

I only have to pay for my gas which is no where near as bad as insurance. And I have to keep up my grades and my attitude which is pretty easy most of the time. man... i feel even luckier than ever. It is pretty scary though when i drive because i'm always soo worried i'm going to wreck it or do something stupid.

But on the other hand i know that if you have to work for things you appreciate them more when you do finally get to enjoy them. You sound like a really good parent.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:31 AM
moodylewdd
5th Gear
Thanks swimstar208, I try.
If I told my son that you are his age and have a MINI, he would probably disagree with your comment. If I hadnt gone back to school later in life like I did, I would probably have a little more money than I do, which would of course trickle down to him.
He does love his truck, he sits in it for hours. It has got to be one of the ugliest vehicles ever made, but he did work really hard for it. He plans on fixing it up, buying something else, fixing that, so on and so on, until he can afford an original mini.
I've got to hand it to him, he is not scared of work, and I believe he'll reach his goal. He's one of the few people around that can honestly say that when he was 14 he did a complete engine swap on a later model car all by himself (and yes the car is still on the road). He is now 16, so of course he knows everything there is to know about cars, and life of course (wink wink)!
I really hope you enjoy your new car, it is a beauty! Just always remember how awesome your parents are, sounds like you got the one-in-a million ones! Oh, and not to be a nag (parent) or anything, but your grades and attitude will get you anywhere in life you want to be...best of luck to you!