1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to MINILand.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
onequi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to MINILand.

Good day, I got my 05 MCS 19,400 miles just a few weeks ago, so I noticed I was wasting allot of gas and from my past experience that tells me it's low else where on other fuilds and sucking up more gas as make up. Yesterday i realized when I finally got the oil stick out that It was dry, not knowing if this was a mini thing I decided to investigate and really just go with a gut feeling and add more oil which I did -2 Quarts before it really showed on the dip stick-ouch, tough little engine but thank god I checked before anything worse happened. used Q advanced synthethic 5W-30, filled up the gas tank and will see new results. The oil looks really dark but I have like 8K miles for my next trip to the dealer (Not to much of a dealer FAN) and more of a do it yourself at home but will like some feedback or recommendations on how to go about taking it in or jacking up the mini myself at home. How often do mini owners change their oil, recommended oil? have to much other to list but will go easy...still setting up my account here but have been reading threads for about a week. thank you,

Last edited by onequi; 06-11-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like your car was not well cared for previously. It also sounds like you weren't too curious about it. First, I would definitely get an oil and filter change.... soon. I would have the conditions of everything else checked out, too (belts, plugs, fluids). Then, I would check the oil every couple of days at first, to make sure it isn't being used rapidly. Then, at least every fill up. (Your car does not use one fluid to "make up for" another. It burns more fuel because there was more friction to overcome). Does your engine sound different now that it has more oil in it?

Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
onequi
1st Gear
thanks, yes It feels and sounds better now. when i bought the car I was more concerned about any oil leaks but when I looked inside the engine compartment it looked great, the car was well taken care of outside and in but I guess they did not worry too much about anything unless a light came up in the dash and there was'nt any-everything ran and looked great, just a weird feeling got me to actually check the oil after I was adding wiper fluid. what actually happens when you take your car in for service every 15K, can you take it prior for a quick lube change without affecting your 15K appoint?

Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
You can take it in whenever you want. If you are talking about free service, only the regularly shceduled ones are free. However, since the oil was alloweed to get so low and is still dirty, I think you should bring it in asap, regardless. Also, you didn't say if you got it from a dealer or not, but if you did, I would look elsewhere for service.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
onequi
1st Gear
the most confussing thing was that I bought it from a used Ferrari dealer, not by choice. I found the car in the local auto trader and when i went to see it, the guy buys, sells and races million dollar Ferrari's, but he does not fixes them- but the mini he did not move too much or his girlfriend would use to and from the shop it was more of a toy for him I guess more than anything. The guy was really sincere explaining everything that he could and I sincerely went blind when i first saw it and kind of fell in love- low miles, great price and really well maintained. The guy drove a 1995 456 GT manual V-12 ferrari on his everyday commute. Well anyways, I really appreciate your time and sincere responses. Any recommendation on where to take it, I have never owned a car with Synthetic oil requirements and dont know if this is something you have a choice at jiffylube?

Old 06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I would not take my bike (with peddles) to jiffy lube. I don't know what is in your area, but I'd take it to someone with MINI experience. Maybe another Miami NAMer can help with that. Your car may have been cleaned up, but it obviously was not maintained. You need to get it to someone you can trust who will check out the mechanicals. I'm not saying the car isn't in great shape, but you can't be sure right now.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
onequi
1st Gear
me either, well that is why I was asking because I have never been there myself. as I mentioned in my original post-I have always been one to change my own oil, liquids etc. But I come from a practically duty free line of Honda's with little or low maint. I guess the mini will take me back to my first three cars, VW bug days when I had to be on top to keep them running at top notch. I'm in Miami, Florida and yourself? Love the 07 pics, test drove one prior to getting mine and the sport button is just amazing. I will take it to the mini dealer for a oil change, checkup.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I'm in MD, but there are NAMers in your area who can help. They will probably chime in when they see the post. You can do maintenance yourself. A MINI oil change is a little different, however, as it employs a cartridge filter and many places forget about the seal ring and/or spring.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
onequi
1st Gear
another quick question, does the turbocharge blower have a filter similar to the air filter that should be replaced regulary or I should just worry about changing the air filer or maybe getting a K&N factory replacement filter. The blower filter looks to be really dirty.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I don't have a turbo. I know it has a cooler, but that is like a radiator. It doesn't have a filter.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
onequi
1st Gear
I was not sure but i just confirmed. The 2007 MCS is turbocharged! I was confused in my question as pertaining to my car which is supercharged. you do own a turbo, its a boy..

Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM!! Do a search as there are several posts explaining how to change the oil on a MINI and about any other question you may have. What ever you do, stay away from Jiffy Lube!!!

06MCS/DS/B/Bbonnetstripes/Whalen8ballshiftmachine

Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
I did an oil change myself at 4050 rather than wait 10K for the first free one. Synthetic is better for this engine, and it needs to be clean and well filtered. Even though you added some, I would get the whole thing changed and a new filter ASAP! Someone with thorough MINI knowledge should check it over well, just for confidence sake. Welcome to NAM!

Old 06-19-2007, 08:37 AM
onequi
1st Gear
Thnak you for your replies. will take in this week asap.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM
dix
6th Gear
I'm at least a 4 hour drive away from a Mini dealership. So I take mine into BMW for minor stuff, like an oil change.