10th Annual MINIs On The Dragon (May 2 - 6, 2012) MOTD 2012

Attention Rafters!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
womble
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention Rafters!

I sent this out as an email earlier this week to folks who had signed up for rafting. I have had a couple of folks drop out and want to open it up to others if there is interest.

Greetings Dragon Rafters!

Thanks for signing up to go rafting with us on Thursday, 3 May 2012. My name is Tom and I will be your trip leader for this part of your vacation. The trip is scheduled to depart Fontana Village at 0915 with an arrival time of about 1000 at Endless River Adventures (ERA). This past weekend, my family rafted with ERA and had a great time. They are one of the smaller outfitters in the Nantahala Gorge and their people are top notch. If you have never been whitewater rafting, this is a great place to start. If you have, this is a beautiful clean and cold river with many interesting sites and plenty of fun rapids. If you have done the Grand Canyon, the Upper Gauley, or the Ocoee, you may find this a little tame, but think of it as a social event and enjoy getting to know some new people. I first paddled the Nantahala River in 1987 and enjoy it every time.
You can read more about the river here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantahala_River
I have spoken with the reservation mistress of ERA, Braden Hendy, and she is ready to receive our reservations and payment. This will allow ERA to plan for the right number of guides to lead our rafts down the river. Be sure to tell her that you are with the Mini Cooper group.
Please call her at: 800-224-7238
Fax: 828-488-2259
E-mail: info@endlessriveradventures.com
Or go online to: http://www.endlessriveradventures.com/formmail/

Please let me know when you have paid.

Other details:
On the Nantahala River there is a minimum weight limit for children of 60 pounds or Seven (7) years old, which is strictly enforced by the U.S. Forest Service.
Plan on getting wet and be prepared for the weather. Raft trips go rain or shine.
Try this FAQ sheet to answer any questions you may have. http://www.endlessriveradventures.co...ns-and-answers

If you are staying somewhere other than Fontana Village and want to meet us there, that is fine. Just please let me know in advance, so I don’t panic until we get to Endless Rivers and you aren’t there. The directions from Fontana Village are: turn right out of Fontana Village and take 28 South to US 19/74 and turn right. Go about 5.6 miles and ERA is up the hill on the left.
http://www.endlessriveradventures.co...tnantahala.pdf

After we finish rafting, the plan is to go to Slow Joes down at Nantahala Outdoor Center, which is located about .5 miles downstream from ERA on the left side of the river. Turn left onto the bridge just past NOC and park in the gravel lot. If that is too busy or closed, Burger Hut, just up the road, is plan B. At lunch we can determine our return trip. If you are returning to Fontana, going back upriver on US 19/74 to Topton and a) driving back up US 129 to Robbinsville to NC 143 and back over to NC 28 or b) driving all the way to Deals Gap on US 129 and back down NC 28. If you have any questions concerning this trip or questions about MOTD or the general area, please don’t hesitate to ask.I will email again once we get closer to travel dates. I look forward to meeting you all and enjoying the Nantahala River with you.

Cheers,
Tom (womble-on)

Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
womble
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still plenty of room on the Thursday raft trip. Weather forecast shows 81 degrees with 20 percent chance of afternoon thunderstorm. (We'll be off the river by then) That's one of the warmest days of MOTD with the least chance of rain.