Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.
View Poll Results: Your interest in potential brake upgrade types
Stock rotors (I don't plan to or have any interest in upgrading)
15.55%
Larger plain rotors
11.81%
Drilled rotors
4.72%
Slotted rotors
36.32%
Wave rotors
2.17%
Drilled and slotted rotors
29.43%
Voters: 1016. You may not vote on this poll

Brake upgrade survey

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake upgrade survey

Everyone,
Lately I've received a lot of interest from vendors in figuring out what type of brake kits people are interested in upgrading to. If you could take a second and cast your vote in the above survey I would greatly appreciate it. Here is some information on each of the following types of brakes:
  1. Stock rotors (I don't plan to or have no desire to upgrade)
  2. Larger solid rotors
  3. Drilled rotors
  4. Slotted rotors
  5. Wave rotors (Wave shaped edge which supposedly improves cooling and gives more leading edges for the brake pads to grip. To date only seen in some European magazines)
  6. Dilled and slotted rotors
Thanks for your input!

Mark

Last edited by Mark; 08-04-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:54 PM
discodan
5th Gear
how come it says i cannot vote on this poll?

Old 08-04-2004, 09:04 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by discodan
how come it says i cannot vote on this poll?
ditto

Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 PM
discodan
5th Gear
there we go.:smile:

Old 08-04-2004, 09:17 PM
bferguson
Give it another try. I had to adjust permissions on the poll so that everyone can respond. Thanks!

Mark

Old 08-05-2004, 05:52 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
by 'solid' rotors, you are only talking about the plates, I presume? not talking about unvented, solid rotors like the rears?
thx

Old 08-05-2004, 06:56 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll go on record as saying he means 'plain' rotors, not really 'solid' ones. Man, those suckers would weigh a ton..!

Old 08-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Mark
Yes...I meant larger plain rotors. I've updated the survey to reflect this. Thanks!

Mark

Old 08-05-2004, 07:38 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interested primarily in slotted rotors. Improved performance, plus less subject to cracking than drilled or drilled and slotted rotors.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:51 AM
hayaku
1st Gear
i assume this is for rotors only?

my vote would go for lighter, larger, curved vane directional, 3 slot, floating rotors... all performance, no bling... :smile:

if we're talking calipers too, then 4 piston front, 2 piston rear, monobloc, with same brake bias as stock, lightweight... alcons pretty please?

Old 08-05-2004, 10:20 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hayaku

my vote would go for lighter, larger, curved vane directional, 3 slot, floating rotors... all performance, no bling... :smile:

if we're talking calipers too, then 4 piston front, 2 piston rear, monobloc, with same brake bias as stock, lightweight... alcons pretty please?
OOh, OOH put me down for a set o' deese! pleese! while you're at it make 'em cheap, too!

Old 08-05-2004, 07:56 PM
Docofmind
Neutral

Why monobloc? 2 piece is actually stronger and more rigid. Brembo started using the 1 piece design because it was more cost effective.

Your request though, will be granted, except it wont be made by Alcon

Old 08-06-2004, 05:08 PM
hayaku
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Docofmind
Why monobloc? 2 piece is actually stronger and more rigid. Brembo started using the 1 piece design because it was more cost effective.

Your request though, will be granted, except it wont be made by Alcon
simply for quick pad changes. i'm lazy and track prep is long enough... nevermind about having to swap pads at an enduro... hot brakes and all...

Old 08-06-2004, 07:44 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Then between the two of you, I pretty much have exactly what you want....

Non mono block, quick change pads, (hot or cold) directional rotors, lighter, gas slotted, non floating, correctly biased, no twin pot rears (not needed) and when you fit even the larger rear rotor you're still way under what you'd thought you'd spend!

I can't believe you slept through all those other posts...lol.....somehow we didn't hook up!

Old 08-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Docofmind
Neutral
simply for quick pad changes. i'm lazy and track prep is long enough... nevermind about having to swap pads at an enduro... hot brakes and all...
Why should it being two pieces extend the length of time needed for pad changes?

A simple bridge bolt across the top makes for easy pad changes. It also provides an even stiffer and more rigid chassis to minimize flex.

Click on this link for more detailed information.
http://http://wilwood.com/Products/C...4R14/index.asp

Old 08-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
where's the selection for BIG BRAKE KIT which also covers drilled and slotted...but big!!

Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Monkey_Boy
5th Gear
Wave rotors (Wave shaped edge which supposedly improves cooling and gives more leading edges for the brake pads to grip. To date only seen in some European magazines)
I think Galfer has a patent on the wave design and is somewhat popular on motorcycles. Not sure how well received they'd be in a car, and how they'd work with ABS. There is a weird pulsation sort of feeling in the brakes with wave rotors. Also, I've seen no data showing they are any better than normal, round rotors (motorcycles).

Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Does this poll assume we can afford new brake kits?

Old 08-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Mark
In reviewing the responses I'm interested in knowing for those that selected slotted rotors what is your motivation? Is it relative to look, function, or both. Based on your answer can you provide a little background on why you feel the way you do? Thanks!

Mark

Old 08-11-2004, 02:56 PM
pbraun
5th Gear
I have the Brembo GT brake kit in the front on my MINI and their rotors on the rear. They are slotted, not drilled. They do cost more than most kits, but I think the quality is tops! When those puppies warm up, just show me the dime and I'll stop on it. Time after time, all day long. No fade. I repeat - no fade - ever! Incredibly short stopping distance!

Brembos are the best ! so, there ya go! :smile:

Old 08-25-2004, 04:09 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mferguson
Everyone,
Lately I've received a lot of interest from vendors in figuring out what type of brake kits people are interested in upgrading to. If you could take a second and cast your vote in the above survey I would greatly appreciate it. Here is some information on each of the following types of brakes:
  1. Stock rotors (I don't plan to or have no desire to upgrade)
  2. Larger solid rotors
  3. Drilled rotors
  4. Slotted rotors
  5. Wave rotors (Wave shaped edge which supposedly improves cooling and gives more leading edges for the brake pads to grip. To date only seen in some European magazines)
  6. Dilled and slotted rotors
Thanks for your input!

Mark
Mark,
I voted for the slotted rotors, only because you left out slotted & dimpled. I would not put any type of drilled rotors on my MINI. I have replaced the fronts with EBC's slotted & dimpled.

pjo

Old 09-02-2004, 02:48 PM
CTMINI
2nd Gear
Paddy,
Does that bronze sheen wear off the EBCs after you have stopped on them a few times?
I'm in the market for rotors like, real soon. Also - is it imperitive to replace your pads when you get new rotors if the pads are not old? (Think 3,500 miles.)

Old 09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CTMINI
Paddy,
Does that bronze sheen wear off the EBCs after you have stopped on them a few times?
I'm in the market for rotors like, real soon. Also - is it imperitive to replace your pads when you get new rotors if the pads are not old? (Think 3,500 miles.)
The bronze sheen does wear off after they are bedded-in. I just looked at the rotors and both the EBC & OEM are the same color silver.

I have only replaced the front rotors and when I did, I also put new EBC Green Stuff pads on the front. On the rear, I replaced only the pads and then proceeded to bed-in the new parts. I did not replace the rear rotors as they only provide about 20% of the total braking force and for my application autocross & daily driver, it was not necessary.

If it was up to me, I would put new pads on with new rotors, that way everything is starting off from a known point. Just the way I look at it. When it comes times for new rotors, new pads will be installed at the same time.

paddy

Old 09-02-2004, 07:05 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
All rotors treated with zinc or cad will only retain their plating where the pad does not rub it.

Old 09-03-2004, 06:08 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CTMINI
Paddy,
New rotors should always get new pads. The old pads, no matter how little they have worn, will take on the characteristics of the old rotors (i.e. tapered wear, grooving, coning, etc.) these 'bad' characteristics can be transferred to the new rotors, and trash your new rotors faster.

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade survey