Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads - review

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads - review

At 36k my brake sensor light came on, and i decided to replace all 4 instead of just the rears.

My boss has the Stoptech Street Performance pads on his project car Subaru and likes them. The price is right, around $165-ish if i recall for all 4.

I believe they have provisions for the brake sensors, but i zip tied mine out of the way. I stupidly bought an extra set that i'm now trying to sell, anyone want them?

Anyway, they live up to the hype I've heard.

- great initial bite (a small but noticeable step above the OEM raybestos pads, which were great for a stock pad)

- very low dust (not a huge concern for me, but the OEM pads were really bad here)

- quiet, and it's been cold as poop and snowy here too.

- cheap

- pretty good fade characteristics

I have not tracked the car on them or really pushed them TOO hard, but i've been told they can take a decent beating and a "light" track day. I bedded them in and played around with them....didn't feel much if any fade. That's not the track though.

As an "aggressive" street pad that may get a work out now and then, they're pretty much more than anyone could hope for.

My guess is they are made of magic pixie dust from fairies in never never land. It's very difficult to find a brake pad that doesn't make big compromises in dust, noise, or stopping power, and to make them cheap is really amazing.

Get them from your favorite stoptech dealer.

- Andrew

Last edited by andyroo; 05-12-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
shorty_du_op
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
This comes at a perfect time for me! I was considering going with the HAWK Ceramic pads over theses... but for the cost savings, I might have to reconsider. Thanks for the review!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
No problem! I really didn't care for the Hawk HPS on my last car (mushy, not much bite at all) and Ceramics are even less aggressive if i recall.

I do like Hawk race pads though.

The only things that remain to be seen are how long they last and how easy they are on the rotors. I've been assured that they're fine in that regard too.

- Andrew

Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 AM
tlr1000
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Andyroo,

digging up an old thread here but wanted to see how these pads fared after some time.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Still got them, still like them. They've got a lot of miles on them and still have plenty to go. I'm putting R56 brakes on soon and will go with the stoptech pads again.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the Street Performance Pads as part of my ST-40 Stoptech BBK up front. If you haven't tracked on these pads, they are fantastic pads. They've held up quite well on my track days and I'm still on them. I just bought a set of Perf Pads for the ST-40 calipers for $45 shipped. That's cheap!

I am glad I don't have OEM calipers because the simplicity of changing out these pads and their versatility on daily and track use is amazing.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
I'd be a little worried about tracking them on stock sized rotors, but they can take a little heat.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:58 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andyroo
I'd be a little worried about tracking them on stock sized rotors, but they can take a little heat.
Stoptech BBK + Powerslot slotted rotors in the rear w/ rear Street Perf pads is a solid solution on the track. Consistent bite throughout the day.

Name:  mhstudkit_zps8dbca9ae.jpeg
Views: 850
Size:  87.7 KB

Old 03-17-2013, 01:21 PM
andyroo
6th Gear
Yup, with the larger rotors of the stoptech BBK it should be great.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM
BRracing
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot me a PM and ill hook it up with these pads or even a BBK

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic

Stoptech BBK + Powerslot slotted rotors in the rear w/ rear Street Perf pads is a solid solution on the track. Consistent bite throughout the day.
Really like your setup. I'd love to jump to a bbk before the track season starts but looks like the stoptechs are a bit too rich for my blood. I've never heard a bad thing about them from those running them at the track. Minimal rebuilds if any and tons of bite.

What are you running on the rear? Just larger rotors and more aggressive pads?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Really like your setup. I'd love to jump to a bbk before the track season starts but looks like the stoptechs are a bit too rich for my blood. I've never heard a bad thing about them from those running them at the track. Minimal rebuilds if any and tons of bite.

What are you running on the rear? Just larger rotors and more aggressive pads?
The rears are as stated with the powerslot rotors and the street performance pads also by stoptech.

I think a huge advantage of having the stoptech st-40 is the immense amount of pad options. I had a chance to buy some endless track pads from a friend or only $200 when they're like $500 pads. Only had two track days on them. He ended up misplacing them so I was out of luck there but the great thing is that many BMW drives swap out their street performance pads for endless or other high end track pads that they sell the performance pads for cheap. I jut bought a set of those pads for $45. New rotors were a little over $300 for the aero rotors.

If you bought rotors and pads for the jcw or even the gp2 6pot brakes you'd be paying an arm and a leg for those. Pay up in the beginning but save overall in the end. I hope you save up and get the stoptechs because its been rewarding everytime I stomp on the brake pedal

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
They would be my first choice, however I'm debating on the Wilwood's as well. Like the jcw's you mentioned, the replacement rotors are more expensive. The kit is about half the price of the Stoptechs but again, you get what you pay for.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
They would be my first choice, however I'm debating on the Wilwood's as well. Like the jcw's you mentioned, the replacement rotors are more expensive. The kit is about half the price of the Stoptechs but again, you get what you pay for.
At some point there were 2 separate individuals selling their stoptech bbk for around $1k which is a steal of a deal. I think the only disadvantage the stoptech/brembos have compared to the wilwood kit is the clearance on 17" wheels. with either kit you won't fit 16" wheels, if that's your flavor. With the Volks I have on though, it isn't much of an issue since all I require is a 5mm spacer to clear the brakes.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
BRracing
Former Vendor
If you want a new StopTech/Brembo BBK. Hit me up ASAP.... Ill give you 15% off retail to the next 2 customers!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BRracing
If you want a new StopTech/Brembo BBK. Hit me up ASAP.... Ill give you 15% off retail to the next 2 customers!
I appreciate the post and notice of this offer. RA2 did bring up a good point though that I'll have deal with wheel clearance issue, since I run 16's for my winter tires. Would these potentially fit with spacers? Or are they just too large a caliper and I'll likely need the extra space in the diameter of the wheel for the caliper to clear?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
I have stock 17" R117 that are '10 Camden specific. The Stoptechs barely cleared the calipers with 15mm spacers and no weights stuck on the inside barrel for balance on the front wheels. I was lucky that having no weights didn't cause any vibration while driving. I had a great photo to demonstrate the clearance on them too, but I must have deleted it and I have my Volks on now so I have no photo to show.

Anyways, there's no way the Stoptechs can clear 16s and there aren't many 17's that will clear the Stoptech BBK. There was a thread going that had information on what wheels cleared which caliper, you'll just have to perform a search.

I'll just say this though, having Stoptechs have more upside than there are downsides.

I have 2 sets of Street Performance pads ready when my pads need swapping out, and they were each $45. Hawks are twice that price! I also have a brand new set of Aero Rotors sitting under my bed gathering dust that I got for an amazing deal and I know they will outlast any OEM or smaller aftermarket rotor. THEY ARE WORTH IT!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Hey guys, any thoughts about a good street set up? I'm in need of rotors and pads, and I hated the EBC greenstuff pads that I used last time...no improvement at all over stock, (maybe worse) and way more dust. I don't want to buy a bbk, as I won't be tracking it at all.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Well, as the OP of this thread I'd recommend the Stoptech street performance pads. Read my review....which is this thread.

For rotors I run the Centric Premium rotors. Blank, no slots or drilled holes. Centric is the parent company of Stoptech (or the other way around, whatever).

3 years and almost 50k more miles I'm still happy and on the same pads.

- Andrew

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by andyroo
Well, as the OP of this thread I'd recommend the Stoptech street performance pads. Read my review....which is this thread.

For rotors I run the Centric Premium rotors. Blank, no slots or drilled holes. Centric is the parent company of Stoptech (or the other way around, whatever).

3 years and almost 50k more miles I'm still happy and on the same pads.

- Andrew
Any experience with cryo rotors? I was also going to try the EBC redstuff pads, but stoptechs would be fine as well.
I'm not too concerned with any extra wear or the longevity of my rotors, but cryos might improve that.....yes? I want better brake feel without going to a bbk.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM
andyroo
6th Gear
Meh. I don't really think they're worth the extra money. I've had my rotors for a pretty long time with plenty of life left.

- Andy

Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Sounds good to me. Any opportunity to save money is more that welcome. I'm a lead foot though.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM
BRracing
Former Vendor
Check out a StopTech sport brake kit.. Stoptech slotted rotors, street performance pads, and SS lines..

Click here for R53!
Click here for R56!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Thanks. I already have the SS lines, so that would save me a few bucks.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
BRracing......no kits WITHOUT SS lines?

Quick Reply: Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads - review