Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension Alta 22mm Sway Bar install + pictures + impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alta 22mm Sway Bar install + pictures + impressions

Hello Folks
Just finished installing the Alta 22MM sway bar. The install is not difficult but you do need some time, basic tools and some mechanical knowledge.

The Alta directions are easy to follow. You have to remove the coils or in our case the coil overs and also have to loosen the sub frame to remove and install the new sway bar.

We did ours on our shop lift, I think any other way would take much more time. I got it done in about 1 hour or so.

My first impressions are it was worth every penny I spend. The rear feels much more planted and turn in feels crisp. I haven't really taken it on a rough road but I pretty know what to expect. The other thing I noticed is the TQ feels less!!!!!! That would be a good thing since it is one of my biggest complaints.

Anyway well worth the moeny spent and I will follow up with more impressions this weekend.

Getting Ready to take it apart

Everything is loose and out with the old

A look at the sub frame loose..You have to do this to get the sway bar out. You can see the bracket that hold the sub frame to the body, that gap is where the bar goes thru to come out.

In with the New sway bar

Center the bar and tighten up the clamps

I put the setting in the middle to start

Install the coil overs and tighten everything up...I go over all the bolts at least two times.

A little clean up.......

Wax the wheels and torque the lug nuts...and your done

Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 PM
on2wheels
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a 22mm sway bar installed on the Shortbus yesterday as well along with a set of H&R springs. A few DMC members pitched in knocked the job out (thanks guys!) while I basically learned and supervised. The difference is unbelievable and as you stated worth every penny. With the sportier stance, quicker turning capability and the waning willpower not to abuse it, I can see I will be in the market for a new set of tires in short order.
With all the extra help the whole job took about 1.5 hours using jack stands.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice...definitely a good mod

Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by on2wheels
Had a 22mm sway bar installed on the Shortbus yesterday as well along with a set of H&R springs. A few DMC members pitched in knocked the job out (thanks guys!) while I basically learned and supervised. The difference is unbelievable and as you stated worth every penny. With the sportier stance, quicker turning capability and the waning willpower not to abuse it, I can see I will be in the market for a new set of tires in short order.
With all the extra help the whole job took about 1.5 hours using jack stands.
That is the best way to learn...next time you can help the next guy out. Going driving this afternoon as soon as I get the new Alta intercooler istalled.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Just a quick follow up...went for a pretty good ride today. Went thru some nice twisties and I have to say that I am impressed with the turn in and also the way the rear just feels solid, I no longer feel that the rear want to break loose. And as far as TQ goes it it greatly reduced. I highly recomend this upgrade.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Minitauro
4th Gear
Red Bull, thanks for the writeup! I'm definitely now leaning towards getting a RSW as torque steer is my biggest complaint on my JCW. The car is really squirely under hard acceleration. Anything to fix that is a win in my book.

Any reason why you chose 22mm over 19mm? Also, did you upgrade the rear control arms when you installed the coils? Thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minitauro
Red Bull, thanks for the writeup! I'm definitely now leaning towards getting a RSW as torque steer is my biggest complaint on my JCW. The car is really squirely under hard acceleration. Anything to fix that is a win in my book.

Any reason why you chose 22mm over 19mm? Also, did you upgrade the rear control arms when you installed the coils? Thanks
No particular reason for the 22MM other than I do some Auto X and figured why not spend the couple of extra buck and put the 22MM on softest setting if I dont like the stifness.

Control arms are next...the ones in there now are a joke IMO. As for the TQ...I really see an improvment...great mod and pretty cheap. Good bang for the buck

Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
PoktRokt
3rd Gear
so how does the stiffer rear sway bar affect torque up front??

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Sweeeet! I know this is the coupe forum, but anybody put a 22mm bar on a Clubman? I had a 19mm bar on my 03 JCW and it definitely made a difference. May end up doing it on the Clubby.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ortholance
so how does the stiffer rear sway bar affect torque up front??
May be because it stiffens up the rear from twisting and reducing the TQ...I can tell you my JCW had very bad TQ and now it is almost gone. The TQ was my biggest complaint...much better now.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:43 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
is the ride rougher?

Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 AM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Red Bull
No particular reason for the 22MM other than I do some Auto X
What autox class are you running in currently and will this mod bump you up? And if so do you think it'll be worth the bump?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic
What autox class are you running in currently and will this mod bump you up? And if so do you think it'll be worth the bump?
Novice Stock with this car...the sway bar will not put you in the modified class.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
is the ride rougher?
Seems pretty much the same in terms of ride...most of the roads here are pretty smooth but I do not feel much of a diffrence to notice.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 PM
joenzy
2nd Gear
Great write up and nice pics, thanks!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um, dumb question. What is TQ? Torque? And by extension, torque steer?

Old 12-25-2008, 04:24 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Um, dumb question. What is TQ? Torque? And by extension, torque steer?
Sorry....meant to write TS

Old 12-25-2008, 08:31 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
...the way the rear just feels solid, I no longer feel that the rear want to break loose.
I hope that you are not driving as if that premise were true, because putting in a stiffer sway bar makes the rear end Easier to break loose, not harder. That's why the car feels more willing to turn with the harder bar installed - you have reduced the Understeer, or viewed differently, increased Oversteer.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:43 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicoopermike
Sweeeet! I know this is the coupe forum, but anybody put a 22mm bar on a Clubman? I had a 19mm bar on my 03 JCW and it definitely made a difference. May end up doing it on the Clubby.

I just finished doing it for my Clubby, albeit a 19mm instead of a 22. Did it 2 days ago in WI(sub zero degrees in a non heated garage). With no help and zero prior experience, it took me 5 hours. From 8 am to 1 pm. Well the first hour was trying to find a spot to place jack stands-which I still cannot find! I ended up doing it the unsafe way-no jack stands, just jack supporting them. The jack points-although a brilliant idea on theory, sucks in practicality. The groove only fits the jack that came with the Clubby and provides no other area to place jack stands(everywhere else is covered in plastic skirting).

If I had to redo it, it would take probably half the time since I know the exact sizes and placements of tools. :P Little note though, putting the subframe back on was a PITA. After it loosened, the subframe is pushed rearward and down, pushing it back into place to screw the bolts in was hard on just jacks(well that and I was afraid it would tip from too much jostling). I ended up using a screw driver and levering the holes in line.

As for performance- amazing. I feel less body roll and definitely a lot less understeer(the steering wheel isn't fighting me when turning). I placed it on the stiffest setting on 19 mm.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OldRick
I hope that you are not driving as if that premise were true, because putting in a stiffer sway bar makes the rear end Easier to break loose, not harder. That's why the car feels more willing to turn with the harder bar installed - you have reduced the Understeer, or viewed differently, increased Oversteer.
On a smooth road it does feel more planted....I do understand the dynamics of the sway bar however, prior to installing the sway bar the car felt loose in hard turns and now it feels more planted or stable and predictable.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:59 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRick
That's why the car feels more willing to turn with the harder bar installed - you have reduced the Understeer, or viewed differently, increased Oversteer.
Hmmm. Hubby hates front wheel drive cars because you CAN'T oversteer them--he likes to break the rear end loose. Then again, he has an old Porsche, and loves the feel.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Hmmm. Hubby hates front wheel drive cars because you CAN'T oversteer them--he likes to break the rear end loose. Then again, he has an old Porsche, and loves the feel.
I like to be able to predict when the rear is going to kick out...I now feel that I can...before I wasn't sure what was going to happen...that is not good.

I have a Twin Turbo Vette and its tail happy and has a race suspension...no matter what I am doing with that car I know exactly what it is going to do...a real confidence booster when your in a fast turn

Old 12-25-2008, 01:30 PM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IzzyG
I just finished doing it for my Clubby, albeit a 19mm instead of a 22. Did it 2 days ago in WI(sub zero degrees in a non heated garage). With no help and zero prior experience, it took me 5 hours. From 8 am to 1 pm. Well the first hour was trying to find a spot to place jack stands-which I still cannot find! I ended up doing it the unsafe way-no jack stands, just jack supporting them. The jack points-although a brilliant idea on theory, sucks in practicality. The groove only fits the jack that came with the Clubby and provides no other area to place jack stands(everywhere else is covered in plastic skirting).

If I had to redo it, it would take probably half the time since I know the exact sizes and placements of tools. :P Little note though, putting the subframe back on was a PITA. After it loosened, the subframe is pushed rearward and down, pushing it back into place to screw the bolts in was hard on just jacks(well that and I was afraid it would tip from too much jostling). I ended up using a screw driver and levering the holes in line.

As for performance- amazing. I feel less body roll and definitely a lot less understeer(the steering wheel isn't fighting me when turning). I placed it on the stiffest setting on 19 mm.
Thanks for the response! Fantastic, I will probably go that route in the spring when I am planning to get the Eibach Pro spring kit

Old 12-25-2008, 08:25 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Red - I know what you mean - it does make the car feel more pointable.

If you get into it, there are, of course, a whole series of other things that you can add to get even more of that feeling - a LOT more, and while making the car ride better at the same time.

From "Road Warrior": "Speed is just a question of money. How fast do you want to go?"

Last edited by OldRick; 12-26-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Does the addition of a Rear Sway Bar affect high-speed cornering in a negative way? I'm talking large sweeping curves, not city-street right-angles. I heard of this somewhere, but perhaps it was someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

I just purchased a Rear Sway Bar regardless of the answer, as I do an intense amount of city-driving. Just a question! Thanks... this will be my first modification.

Quick Reply: Suspension Alta 22mm Sway Bar install + pictures + impressions