Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Emission readiness monitors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
12magnum
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Emission readiness monitors

Failed my emission check. They check obd only- no sniffer test. I have no check engine light and car runs great, but the test says faled due to :

Incomplete monitors: component

What does this mean? I did just did a repair on my exhaust that had caused a p0296 code. I had it reset with an autologic tool. How long do i need to drive it to get this monitor to be ready? I put about 100 miles of varied driving after the repair before i went for my emission test. I have a scangauge2. If i scan it when the car is not running, it says "ready" meaning all monitors ready. If i scan it while engine is running it says " not ready".

Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the software checks for the number of cold start-warm up cycles. Don't know exactly how many.

I was turned away in Maryland after making repairs and then passed two weeks later. Nothing to do. If you clear codes again, you start the clock over...

Old 07-02-2015, 11:24 AM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oven ever heard of that being part of the test. I know plenty of people who have had an engine light, erased it in the testing bay and then hooked up the tester and passed.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:59 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Here's a proprosed drive cycle to clear for readiness (from BMW):

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:
1. Cold Start
In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50ºC (122ºF) and within
6ºC (11ºF) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the
heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
2. Idle
The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on maximum and rear defroster on.
The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow",
Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
3. Accelerate
Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached.
During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
4. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR,
Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
5. Decelerate
Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast
along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics
will be performed
6. Accelerate
Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
7. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics
performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the
battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
8. Decelerate
This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

The following users liked this post:
HAMnMINI (08-27-2021)
Old 07-02-2015, 12:38 PM
12magnum
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the responses to my problems. I'm out on the road working so i haven't been back for a retest. When i do, i'll post the results here. I think i have it fixed now. My Scangauge2 shows no MIL, no codes, and says ready with the key on, not running and ready with engine running. I do know that part of the readiness monitors function is to keep people with a crappy malfunctioning car from resetting their check engine light while waiting in line at the emissions test. In Indiana for new cars you can only have 1 readiness monitor not set( and that can only be for evap). I also read a tech document from mini that shows 40 cycles after a repair before the check engine light will go out on it's own if not reset manually.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:07 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Dash command will show you what is ready and what is not. You can have 1 not ready , 2 you fail and its most likely evac test , that requires some highway driving .