Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Looking for Advice for MCS in Canada -cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 PM
ives
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Advice for MCS in Canada -cold start issues

Hello there

2008 MCS with only 33000 KMS (I used to live close to work)
Drove the car previously in winters that rarely went below 0 deg C (West Coast).
Now first winter with East coast weather and snow. Check engine light yellow comes on in the first really cold day of winter below zero a few weeks ago. ODB code of P0341 (camshaft sensor error). Did not notice issues with engine at the time.

Reset code and everything fine. Drove car although on colder days, would have rattle sound until drive about 5-7 minutes.

Another cold day with snow last week and check engine light comes on again (yellow). ODB code same as before. Did not reset code as I brought in car to mechanic today. Today, happens to be better weather - but engine still rattled a little for 5-7 mins of driving then ran normally afterwards. check engine light not on and did not come on during drive to shop.

Mechanic says oil almost bone dry (last oil change was definitely less than 2000 km ago) and replaces camshaft sensors. Says if this happens again with engine light, will need to open up engine and replace timing chain and parts for about $1500. Reading up on the timing chain tensioner issues, I am very worried now about the possibility that my engine is just a time bomb ready to fail.

What is likelihood that oil change is simply what I needed compared to likely chain tensioner replacement?
Should I just bite the bullet and get the tensioner and it's parts replaced now? (I'm worried about the engine seizing on me).
Is there any way Mini Canada was part of the recall of the tensioner replacement that was done in the US?
Thanks in advance

Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
While I am NOT a gen2 expert, I can tell some bits of info..
First off, check with your local mini dealer...
Many early r56 cars had intake icing issues, and had some parts switched to fix it...it is possible your car did not get it due to living in a warmer area...they can also tell you if you have any open recalls,TSB'S OR campaigns, etc on the car, like timing chains, etc...
My REAL concern is letting the oil get so low..."bone dry" is pretty darn bad...heck more than 1.5 is too low...sounds like you were 3+ or 4 low...OUCH. BURNING oil is kinda normal in the n14 r56, but you gotta check it...the tensioner is run by oil PSI...And oil is like blood...things fail from lack of lube...don't mean to be preachy, but low oil could cost you a $9000 engine swap...and DOES cause the timing chain to wear rapidly...
The "check with the dealer" might sound simplistic, but if they split the cost with you due to low miles due to "good will" and cause it is a know issue, might make it cheaper. Heck...dealer might go to bat for you in hopes of getting you to buy your next MINI from them...

Old 12-21-2014, 12:46 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ives
[...]2008 MCS with only 33000 KMS [...]Check engine light yellow comes on in the first really cold day of winter below zero a few weeks ago. ODB code of P0341 (camshaft sensor error). [...] Mechanic says oil almost bone dry (last oil change was definitely less than 2000 km ago) and replaces camshaft sensors. Says if this happens again with engine light, will need to open up engine and replace timing chain and parts for about $1500. Reading up on the timing chain tensioner issues, I am very worried now about the possibility that my engine is just a time bomb ready to fail.

What is likelihood that oil change is simply what I needed compared to likely chain tensioner replacement?
Zero.
Sorry.

Oil change interval would not trigger cam shaft sensor error CEL.
You may need a timing chain job as well, but that alone would not throw the CEL.
Running low or without oil can wreck all sort of havoc on the engine. The only way to find out how bad it got is to drive around till something else fails ;-(

Should I just bite the bullet and get the tensioner and it's parts replaced now? (I'm worried about the engine seizing on me).
Engine will not seize of you just because you have an old timing chain.
If you seriously want to randomly throw parts at the car, just replace the timing chain tensioner, and see if it helps with the noise. If not, you will eventually need to replace the chain itself ($1.5K quote is reasonable). But before you do that, make sure that your cam shaft sensor issues have been addressed, and no further damage is lurking in the engine internals from running with low/no oil.

Is there any way Mini Canada was part of the recall of the tensioner replacement that was done in the US?
There never was a recall for the timing chains in the US.
There was a service bulletin that justified warranty replacement of the timing chain and tensioner if it was measured to be stretched beyond factory specs. But the replacement was approved only if the customer complained and the chain was measured to be stretched beyond the spec.

Similar treatment may have been afforded to the Canadian customers, but only under warranty.
The probability of MINI doing much of anything outside of the warranty window is minuscule to zero.
Had you had a long standing relationship with your dealer, they may have been willing to do something for your out of their pocket. But you had just moved, which all but guarantees that you are a stranger to your new local dealer.

Sorry, and good luck.

a

P.S.: I had a 4 year relationship with a MINI dealer when my N14 cylinder 4 exhaust valve self destructed 5K miles out of the 50K mile warranty. MINI USA volunteered no help. Dealer volunteered to charge me a lower hourly rate for engine replacement. That was as the goodwill I had build up with them. I DIY-ed the engine swap, but that's another story.