Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bent a tie rod, what else should I look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:34 PM
climbingaggie03
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent a tie rod, what else should I look for

So I slid into a curb a few days ago and bent my right front tie rod. I pulled the tie rod off, and I've got a new one coming tomorrow, and of course I plan on getting it aligned after I get the new tie rod on and I figured I'd ask the shop to look it over, Is there anything else that is likely bent?

The steering rack feels nice and smooth, the the lower control arm looks fine. The wheel got pretty dinged up, but it's still holding air just fine. I'm just nervous the shop is gonna tell me something expensive is bent. Also the rear took a bit of a hit but I'm hoping it just needs realignment at most.

Attached Thumbnails Bent a tie rod, what else should I look for-tie-rod-1.jpg   Bent a tie rod, what else should I look for-tie-rod-2.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 09:25 PM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The part of the steering knuckle the tie rod bolts to could be bent. Check what the "arm" looks like compared to the other side. I've seen it where the tie rod was OK but the cast knuckle bent.

EDIT: If you haven't replaced the control arm bushings yet then you probably just accelerated their wear. Just keep in mind in the future things on that corner of the car could wear out earlier than the other stuff. Things like ball joints failing earlier than expected.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using NAMotoring

Old 11-19-2014, 02:33 PM
climbingaggie03
1st Gear
Thanks, I looked at it and it seems fine, I'll get it in the shop and get it aligned. I don't think the control arm bushings have been replaced. It's an 03, I bought it with 56k on the clock and it's only up to 62k. I did replace the control arm bushings on my last Mini, but not until 110kish. I'll keep an eye on them though, thanks for the heads up.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:51 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you already got the tie rod in. Look at the distance between the top of the tire and the strut/shock. A tight fit on one side usually indicates that strut or spindle is bent. Also look at the strut mount and see if the bolts that come thru the tower are pointing straight up.

When aligned if he can't get the camber in spec something else is bent.

Pay close attention over the next few hundred miles for noise from the hub bearing. They were designed to take a radial load and not a side load and don't like being pushed in.

Good luck. Let us know. How it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Check the strut mount ( strut tower ) and the lower control A arm for damage. On the rear check the control arms ( two per side) . The rear trailing arm should be ok as its pretty heavy duty. A Collision center and alignment machine will tell you how far you are off and if it can de dialed in, if it cant come into alignment , you know you have other items damaged.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
a hit strong enuf to bend the tie rod has a very good chance of taking out the wheel bearing ... my experience on 2 different occasions. And if the bearing is gone that really means new hub.

Was your impact to the side of the wheel rather then head on? That's how mine were ... wife did it once in snow and I did it trying to avoid something in the road . . . side impact is way worse . . . last incident was over $3k by the time everything was right.

tie rods, strut, steering knuckle, control arm, both hubs, front rotor, 2 wheels and tires (cosmetic but I replaced 'em)

Old 11-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Spoooolin
1st Gear
Who ever does the alignment after you install the tie rod, will be able to tell you whats going on based on the readings from the alignment machine. Till then...we can all guess what we want, but it could be nothing.

Depending on the car and how hard the hit was, the Rack may need to be calibrated (assuming its EPS)

Old 11-21-2014, 05:09 PM
climbingaggie03
1st Gear
I did slide into a curb sideways going probably 5-10 mph (it was snowy in my neighborhood) so I'll keep an eye and ear on the ball joints and wheel bearings. I've had a wheel bearing go before so I know what that sounds like.

Since it aligned ok, and drives normal, I think I may be out of the woods. The only thing that might still be going on is I feel like the steering wheel is a little off center. Like to go straight, I have to have the wheel slightly to the left. I bent the right tie rod. At first I was thinking that maybe the tech didn't have the wheel straight when he aligned it? but I've never heard of calibrating the rack, it's the power assisted rack and pinion steering on the R53 so I'm not sure if that applies.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 PM
climbingaggie03
1st Gear
Anyone know if it's possible the steering wheel wasn't straight for the alignment? I've driven the car for a week or two now and it still just doesn't feel quite right. I definitely have to hold the wheel slightly to the left for it to go straight, and sometimes it feels like it's wandering around a little bit, but I'm not sure if I'm unconsciously moving my hands back to where the steering wheel is straight or not.

I've driven an R53 for 11 years and over 150,000 miles (this is my second one) so I have a pretty good feel for what it should feel like, but maybe I'm being too sensitive?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:54 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by climbingaggie03
Anyone know if it's possible the steering wheel wasn't straight for the alignment?
Yes it's possible the steering wheel wasn't completely straight when the tech did the alignment. Take it back.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber
Yes it's possible the steering wheel wasn't completely straight when the tech did the alignment. Take it back.
This.

Tech probably lined it up on the machine, and got it into spec without locking the steering wheel into place. Amateur.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
If the alignment is good and the steering wheel isn't completely straight,
then you just need to adjust one tie rod a little longer and the other shorter
by the same amount to end up with a straight wheel. Make sure the toe is
still correct after doing this, as you might change one side a little more than
the other in the process.
If it's more than a little, than something else might be bent.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The alignment job has to lock the wheel in place. They Lift up the hood and mount the reflector mirrors in place. Also , you have to make sure the steering wheel has not been removed in the past and is lined up straight from the beginning on the original steering spindle and that line marker . If someone removed the steering wheel or replaced it and of a couple teeth its hard to align perfect. Also have you had the steering column spindle replaced lastly ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172