Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No voltage between fuel pump and fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone come across this problem that even when by passed relay, there still no voltage at the fuel pump wire harness, my car wont start because no fuel is reaching the engine, I checked voltage at relay and is around 12v, however at wire harness is about 0.45 mini volts. Car crank but does not start, no codes also in the computer, I just replaced the fuel pump and the filter

Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 AM
MiniMikeCz
Neutral
Have you find a reason? I have same problem on my car and I am lost already. Thanks for answer

Old 11-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Fabrice Blanchet
Neutral
Originally Posted by candemresurrection
Has anyone come across this problem that even when by passed relay, there still no voltage at the fuel pump wire harness, my car wont start because no fuel is reaching the engine, I checked voltage at relay and is around 12v, however at wire harness is about 0.45 mini volts. Car crank but does not start, no codes also in the computer, I just replaced the fuel pump and the filter
I have same problem, have you found the problem? (Mini Cooper 2007)

Old 11-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
There's probably a short in the wiring between the relay and wiring harness.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM
chyer
3rd Gear

I am having the same problem: car ran fine, then tried to take it the next day and it just cranks. Found there is spark, but apparently no fuel. Could not hear the fuel pump running, so suspected it. Full voltage at the relay, no other blown fuses, thought the fuel pump to be bad. I have run into this sort of problem two other times on Japanese cars and have ordered a new fuel pump for replacement. Will update the list once it is installed. If there is still cranking of the engine, but no start, I may have to consult the steal-er. Let me know if there is anything else I should be checking. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:51 PM
candemresurrection
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMikeCz
Have you find a reason? I have same problem on my car and I am lost already. Thanks for answer
Hello, my problem was resolved by changing the fuel pump inside the tank, my problem was that my car use to shut down after driving for a brief moment, when I started looking for a cause there was no power to the pump, however it was the pump that was seizing after it got hot, I thought that my problem was electrical but it was the pump in my case.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:34 AM
chyer
3rd Gear
Hi, I found out that the high pressure fuel pump was the main culprit. The fuel pump in the tank was shooting fuel up to the high pressure one, but there was not enough pressure to shoot fuel into the cylinders. However, after cranking the engine and then leaving it sitting for a while (while I scratched my head and drank a beer), fuel was dribbling into the cylinders. It became so awash with fluid that the compression was getting lower.

I had low pressure from the in tank fuel pump anyway, so i replaced it. It was stronger , but I still had a problem with no compression and no high pressure pump. Ii had it towed to the stealer.

Once there, they hooked up to their thaumaturgic machine and determined that the high pressure pump was not running - duh. They also determined that compression in all cylinders was at 50 psi, that made me shiver. They told me that the high pressure pump was covered under warranty, but I had to buy a new fuel line that went from the tank pump up to it because the mechanic was afraid it would break if he tried to free it. I thought whatever, it was only a fuel line. It was a $155 fuel line!

I was at the mercy of the stealer, so I just sucked it up and paid. The car started and the compression came way up. Everything is fine. This is the fourth high pressure fuel pump the car has had in 80K miles. I asked the SA why BMW keeps making the same crappy part. His response was that "they have improved it". Hah! Truly flawed and makes taking it on long trips more exciting - you never know when its going to stop working!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
50 psi in all cylinders, time for a new engine.