Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

DIY: Replacing the sunroof seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:39 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
DIY: Replacing the sunroof seals

This is a small DIY about how to replace your MINI sunroof seals. If you have wind noise squeaks etc. then replace your seals. I have an 07 and I noticed that the new seals (despite having the same PN) are thicker and have a slightly different profile than the originals. The one on the rear glass panel in particular now has a felt texture on it, unlike the old one which was pure rubber. All seals come with self-adhesive tape so are easy to install. After changing them, I was surprised by how tight fitting the sunroof becomes. I did not even have to adjust it, as the pressure holds the glasses in perfect position. Since I was there, I also added the rear buffers (07s dont have them) which are resting buffers for the rear panel. This keeps the panel from trembling when going over bad road surfaces. Newer models have them standard (I will add the PNs for those later).

WHAT?
Replace all sunroof seals of R56/R55 MINIs.

WHY?
  1. Excessive Wind Noise
  2. Adjusting the sunroof panels leaves visible gaps

PARTS
  1. 54 10 2755851 - Front glass lid gasket (between front and rear panels)
  2. 54 10 2755852 - Rear glass lid gaket (contains two pieces: felt U-gasket and rubber front part)
  3. 54 10 7210652 - 4m Perimeter seal (may come as 2 parts instead of one)

TOOLS
  1. T25 Torx screwdriver
  2. Plastic Wedge to remove old seals
  3. Cutter
  4. Hair-Dryer
  5. Some Alcohol to clean any residues and leftovers (always apply on cloth, not directly on surface)

DESCRIPTION

SEALS ON GLASS PANELS:
  1. Remove the front glass lid (6xT25 screws) and lift upwards.
  2. Remove the rear glass lid (6xT25 screws) and lift upwards
  3. Work on the panel seals carefully peeling them off. It is a good idea to use a hair-dyer to heat them up and soften the adhesive.
  4. The front seal of the rear panel is just clip-on, no adhesive is provided.
  5. Use alcohol to clean any residues on the surface. Scrap them off with a plastic wedge or something similar.
  6. Apply the new seals, removing the cover on the backing tape and pressing them on.
  7. Use the cutter to cut any excess material (seals are always longer than needed).
  8. Use the hair-dryer to heat the new seals so that the bond becomes stronger.

SEAL ON BODY:
  1. Remove the old seal by pulling it off. The joint is located just in front of the antenna assembly.
  2. Clean the area using some alcohol. Do not spill it on the paintwork! use a dampened cloth.
  3. Position the new seal. Start from the antenna section and work all around the perimeter until you reach the joint.
  4. Notice that this seal does not clip in like the others, so pay attention to the vertical positioning. It should not come higher than the bodywork.

REPOSITION PANELS:
  1. Position the rear panel in-place but do not screw it yet.
  2. Position the front panel in-place but do not screw it yet.
  3. Press on the panels so that they sit properly with new seals. The front-lip should be 0.5-1mm lower than the body. The rear lip of the front panel higher than the rear panel by about 1mm. Finally the rear lip should be flash or 0.5mm higher than the body.
  4. Screw them in place.

RELEARN OPENING/CLOSING:
  1. Turn IGNITION ON (but not engine)
  2. Hold to the sunroof button in the close position (1st pressure point, NOT automatic) continually until one full-cycle of opening closing is completed.
  3. It takes about 20sec for the operation to initialize, so be patient.

That's it, you are good to go!!

Last edited by alexs3d2; 10-09-2013 at 07:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by alexs3d2:
aabcds (04-10-2019), Motorman29 (07-25-2020), N54 (03-06-2021)