MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gallery
$$$ just to recharge the A/C??

I have an 02 R53 (see specs/mods in sig)

As summer is coming in, I've noticed my A/C is not working. My mechanic is on vacation so I take it to another shop (he recommended) and the guy says the A/C is working fine, it's just a little low on refrigerant, it'll cost $200!!!! to top off the refrigerant. That seems outrageous to me, the R134A kits are 20-30 bucks. can anyone confirm? Anyone done this on their own? I did a search and I get conflicting info about which hose/where the hose is for the Mini to refill.

Last edited by schreiber117; 05-04-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreiber117 View Post
... the guy says the A/C is working fine, it's just a little low on refrigerant, it'll cost $200!!!!...
I have seen $125 for an evac and recharge without troubleshooting. But $200 is way high. Why not just try to put a half can of refrigerant in yourself? It's not hard.

Rich
Old 05-04-2010, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
I have seen $125 for an evac and recharge without troubleshooting. But $200 is way high. Why not just try to put a half can of refrigerant in yourself? It's not hard.

Rich
true, but as I stated, I have gotten conflicting info on which pipe to use...

see image below, do I fill in 1 or 2..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
You will know which one to use when you buy the can it will only fit one, pretty sure it goes on the high side
Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
I have had this response from some shops because they will not just fill the system. They insist on checking the system before filling. Probably not bad from the view that they are trying not to just pump R134 into the air if you have a leak.
The shop I take my cars to will just to the fill because they know me and my cars so they would know if I have a recurring leak.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNagy View Post
You will know which one to use when you buy the can it will only fit one, pretty sure it goes on the high side
NO. It goes in on the low side. The larger tube. You are correct that the hose that comes with the Freon will only fit one side. But I am not near anything to tell you which one it is. But it is definitely filled on the LOW (suction) side.

Rich
Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Looking at the picture, knowing it's an 02 Cooper S, can someone tell me which is high and which is low?

the tubes are marked 1 & 2
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Most fill kits come with instructions...and the connectors are differnt...it will only fit on the right one. The diy kit should work fine...has a guage...just be sure to agitate the can as usually instructed as you recharge...so you get the propper gas/lube oil mix...and fill with the car/ac running till you are in the green in the guage... More is not better, just aim for the middle.
Unless you have a full set of pro-style guages, an extractor, and can weigh what you pull out like a pro...just fill it up to the green on the guage...and if it works.... You are good to go!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
R134a is pretty enviormently bengin...compared to the older stuff anyway...just be sure to work in a well ventilated area...any gas can displce oxygen, and in a enclosed space is a suffocation hazzard. Shops are legaly required to do certain actions...they generaly folow "best practces" to ensure you get what you pay for...a system that is "fullly serviced", hense the $$$. You are paying for labor, parts, and mostly the overhead of that $$ machine that a shop must own to legaly service an ac unit.
As home mechanics, the same rules technicaly apply, prohibiting us from releasing gas, but due to a few loopholes, we can, without a liceance buy r134a, and refil our car ac units with commonly avalable kits.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreiber117 View Post
Looking at the picture, knowing it's an 02 Cooper S, can someone tell me which is high and which is low?

the tubes are marked 1 & 2
According to the diagrams on realoem.com, the cap marked 2 is the suction (low) side.
2006 MCS JCW GP #1405: Adj Front Camber Plates, 19mm Rear Sway Bar, MM Front Lower Brace, Milltek Cat-Back, TCE 13" Front/11.75" Rear BBK, 15mm Spacers, Wheel Studs, JCM Modified Intake, MM Filter, Gauges
Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikmni View Post
According to the diagrams on realoem.com, the cap marked 2 is the suction (low) side.
Yes, it's #2, and as stated, the fill fitting will only fit on the correct side.
Spring for the filler that has a pressure gauge, so you can be sure you don't overfill.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
on the other hand

shooting more gas into a leaking system

damages the environment AND wastes your $$$
Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_bj View Post
on the other hand

shooting more gas into a leaking system

damages the environment AND wastes your $$$
Well the Mechanics that "offered" to fill for loads o' cash did do a leak test of some sort and could not locate any leaks. so now I'm just trying to find a kit that does not have the leak-stop additive, and it's proving difficult (local to me anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Spring for the filler that has a pressure gauge, so you can be sure you don't overfill.
That's always the plan, or I'll buy the gauge adapter you can add inline, but I would never fill "blind"
Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson View Post
NO. It goes in on the low side. The larger tube. You are correct that the hose that comes with the Freon will only fit one side. But I am not near anything to tell you which one it is. But it is definitely filled on the LOW (suction) side.

Rich

Yeah you are right I was thinking about when using the A/C machine at work, then it is always injected into the high side with the car not running
Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

Gallery
Bump any updates to this?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
It's hose #2 in the picture. Refilled it with a guage, but I was too nervous, so while I was up in OR (with much cheaper labor rates than where I live in CA) I had a shop do it.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:25 AM