Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Nagging P0130 OBD Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
samhand579
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nagging P0130 OBD Code

2005 Mini S R53, no mods, bone stock.

1) I got a P0130 code two weeks ago. Bank 1 Sensor 1.
2) Replaced pre-cat O2 with Bosch 13878 (after mistakenly replacing the post cat first, doh!)
3) SES light was still on and pulling p0130 code
4) I tried to reset adaptive values by disconnecting battery overnight, no luck.
5) Had stealership reset the adaptive values for 60USD. They wouldn't cover me under warranty due to the Bosch sensor (lame).
6) Last night the SES tripped again after 10 drive cycles. GRRRR. P0130 Code again!

I think its a vacuum hose leak but I don't know a common place or area to look for a leak, any ideas? Under my SC?

My sensor connection looks ok, I can't see far enough along the full wire route and can't imagine there is a short given all the wire routing sheathing that protects everything from rocks etc.....

Any ideas? I think I might replace the new O2 with my old O2 and see if Mini will fix it under warranty but I really don't have the time this month to mess with it much more. So am looking for something easy to try. Plus I'm, not sure I can return the Bosch O2 after being in the car, I'm sure it discolours from the heat.

Any experience or comments welcome!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also threw the Po130 code today while on track at Watkins Glen....

Looks like I'm gunna replace the the o2 sensor this time around. Been getting this code now and again for a little while now and I just keep clearing it. Today the car went into Limp mode when it happened but again I cleared it and after sitting for a while the car ran fine for the 4 hour ride home....

Old 05-03-2010, 05:31 PM
samhand579
Neutral
Anybody know a cheap quick way to check for vacuum leaks. Checked wiring with the car on, its putting out 12V. Sensor is brand new.

I can't see any disconnected vacuum hoses...

Bump.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 PM
samhand579
Neutral
Update

Probably no one watching this thread, but might have some resolution...

Took off IC on top of motor, didn't see anything abnormal about the vacuum hoses. Took the fuel pressure regulator hose off, cleaned it and put it back on. Still nothing.

Tonight I unplugged the O2 sensor, hit it with brake kleen (actually belt dressing by accident at first, doh!) then with some silicone spray (didn't have any dielectric grease on hand).

After three cranks the light went out!

Thats after one week of it staying on solid. So I hope i got it. Regardless seems to be electrical not vacuum leak.

So I might try putting the original sensor back in if I have time, see if I can return the new one....

Will update in a week if the SES code comes back.

Cheers

Old 05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
samhand579
Neutral
Code keeps coming back and going out every few days, going to take it to the dealership after putting the original O2 back in it.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 AM
samhand579
Neutral
Tried the following:

Cleaning connector
Dismantled connector, manually assembled to O2 plug
Gas with no Ethanol

Code still comes back. I can make it go out by cranking the car 3 times in a row when at operating temperature. Light comes on about 5 min later again.

Thought it might be cold start warm-up that is throwing P0130 but the light comes on at operating temp too.

Going to follow through and put old sensor back in and travel to stealership.

Anyone has any experience like mine please post!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
i had code with leaking manifold/cat gasket....

Old 07-14-2010, 11:08 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
blue_al, you hit the nail on the head. Check for exhaust leaks. That will throw off your A/F ratio, and the O2 sensors will go bonkers trying to get a good reading.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got the code last night, and I got it read this morning. But soon after the light turned off. I have no idea what is wrong, but I think I will follow the guide on that website, and check my O2 sensors. Or maybe I should check my exhaust, when I am installing my b&m short shifter.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S-Driver
I also threw the Po130 code today while on track at Watkins Glen....

Looks like I'm gunna replace the the o2 sensor this time around. Been getting this code now and again for a little while now and I just keep clearing it. Today the car went into Limp mode when it happened but again I cleared it and after sitting for a while the car ran fine for the 4 hour ride home....
Still getting that Po130 code even after I had to have the ECU replaced. I did replace my O2 sensor with a Bosch but the SES light still stays on...

Can I just ignore it? Sucks having the light on but I'm in no mood to have the stealership charge an hour of diagnostic's to tell me the sensor is or isn't bad. I've got 1 1/4 years till my emissions is due...don't know if it will pass with the light on and throwing that code.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM
DOT191
3rd Gear
Recently had the same issue on our Mini. The exaust system on our 03 was in bad shape & had to have a new oem installed. Still had the check engine light on after the the new exhaust system install. Turns out the rear O2 sensor was bad also. Had that replaced & that solved the problem. Not a cheap repair believe me.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DOT191
Recently had the same issue on our Mini. The exaust system on our 03 was in bad shape & had to have a new oem installed. Still had the check engine light on after the the new exhaust system install. Turns out the rear O2 sensor was bad also. Had that replaced & that solved the problem. Not a cheap repair believe me.
If it's the downstream sensor I could care less.....but who knows.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:24 AM
scottscar79
Neutral
I have that problem, light goes on & off periodically. I replaced the O2 sensor, ( the one on top ) and the light goes on and off. I guess checking for exhast leaks and maybe the other sensor

Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 AM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
Might wanna check with ask mini cuz I have an '05 MCc and last year I got my O2 sensors replaced for free..I got a letter right before I was about to get them fixed that they would be replacing them at no charge.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM
scottscar79
Neutral
I'm having the steelership check this one out for me. I cant get a insp sticker w/the check engine lite on, Keep you posted

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Calz
3rd Gear
90% of the time it is the actual sensor itself. After you clear the codes it should take at least 2 drive cycles to preform the readiness test. If the light comes on before than it most likely an electrical problem. Some times those sensors die a slow death. They become slow to respond and even though they are producing a voltage it is still reading incorrect. Check all the connectors and connectors at the ECU. I have seen 02 sensors fail at the same time as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM
scottscar79
Neutral
ok so this is how it went.
This is what it reads on the work slip.
Interrogated fault memery & found FC's 0136 & 2197 relating to pre & post cat 02 sensors. performed test plan on both sensors. both pre & post sensor are faulty. R&R both oxygen sensors. clear adaptations & fault memory.

I recieved a rental from the dealer ship & drove it 120 miles for 20 bucks while thy fixed the car. So far the lite has not come back on. I did notice the slight stumbe at start up has gone away.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
OK, so in your case, it was the O2 sensors. Glad it's fixed.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DOT191
When the SES stayed on after installing the new exhaust, was it still throwing code P0310 even though it was the rear sensor that was the bad one?

I've had this problem for a while and am trying to narrow things down...I'm thinking its either an exhaust manifold leak, bad rear sensor, or a bad wire somewhere. Put a new front sensor in a few months ago, so I know the front sensor itself is good. Wires don't appear to be frayed or damaged anywhere, so I don't think its that either, although its not out of the realm of possibility.

If its an exhaust leak, does anyone have suggestions on how to find and fix it?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Look for black carbon buildups along the flanges. You can also take a length of 5/32" or 3/16", hold one end up to your ear, and move the other end around them to listen for the leak. Look to see if the flanges themselves are slightly bent in a way they don't mate up well against each other and/or with the gaskets. You can always order more gaskets and put two of them together between the flanges.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Thanks - really helpful - will be inspecting for this soon.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:57 AM
moondawg14
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gknorr
Thanks - really helpful - will be inspecting for this soon.
Exhaust leaks can be pretty easy to spot on a cold morning.... look for little puffs of steam/white smoke.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 PM
gknorr
6th Gear
Update and solution (at least for now!) for me on this:

I've read on another thread that non-Bosch o2 sensors can be troublesome. I thought...well, maybe the ACDelco I put in as the pre-cat replacement might be the culprit.

Didn't want to buy another sensor just to test, so I switched the front and rear sensors with each other. The rear is the OEM sensor that came with the car, which I think is a Bosch? After about 20-30 miles of driving, turning off, and restarting the car, no SES.

For whatever reason, it really does seem like you have to use a Bosch, or whatever the OEM brand is, at least for the pre-cat sensor.

The ACDelco sensor hasn't thrown a code for post-cat sensor yet, but I'm thinking (and hoping) it won't since that sensor seems less sensitive to things since its not determining the fuel/air ratio.

If any code comes back, I'll update. For now, it just feels good to have that light off.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Hmmmm.....I'll have to try that!

Quick Reply: Nagging P0130 OBD Code