Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fuel filter tank seals were wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 AM
maurola
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter tank seals were wrong!

After the post on the fuel filter, I decided to change mine out since I have 175K On an 04 MC. I ordered the kit from Flow Mini ( 16 14 6 757 196 ). Upon a close inspection of the kit and the tank seals I noticed on the tank seal, the side that said this side down, in large print, diesel only. I called Flow Mini and advised them of that and they said they would check. I put a post on the DIY fuel filter change and asked if someone would check the left over seal from their change out. One guy replied and said his seal didn't have the diesel only on it so I knew I got the wrong seals. Mini called me this morning and told me that they had BMW check out the problem and over 50% of the fuel filter kits, fuel pump kits, and fuel level sending unit kits were packed with the wrong tank seals, seals that were made for European diesel models and not for gas. They are drop shipping me the correct seals. I am putting this under a seperate post so those who have changed out the filter will see it and inspect and correct the problem. I know it's a PITA but if you have the diesel seals installed, the gas will cause them to break down and you will have the potential for a very serious problem. You could be sitting on a leaking bomb!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn! Good catch!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yikes!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
searocko
4th Gear
Originally Posted by maurola
...Mini called me this morning and told me that they had BMW check out the problem and over 50% of the fuel filter kits, fuel pump kits, and fuel level sending unit kits were packed with the wrong tank seals, seals that were made for European diesel models and not for gas. They are drop shipping me the correct seals.
Did you deal with Mini directly or was it Flow Mini that dropped ship the seals to you? It would be less hassle if I could just avoid having to send the entire kit back to the vendor (not a MINI dealer).

Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
SeanKidd
2nd Gear
Great Warning

When I did mine and both seals said deisel only, i just replaced it anyway, I'll need to get the gasoline version and swap it out...Ill post its condition when I do it

Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Victa
2nd Gear
another thing on the list of things to do. this one is moved to the top of course. thanks for the important fyi

Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
SKL
1st Gear
Got one coming in the mail- will check it out- thanx for the tip!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
Bought my seals from MINI of Annapolis, they too said Diesel only, I used them anyway and haven't noticed any issues. If i remember properly, they may have even said something about Rover on them....

-Chase

Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanKidd
When I did mine and both seals said deisel only, i just replaced it anyway, I'll need to get the gasoline version and swap it out...Ill post its condition when I do it
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
Bought my seals from MINI of Annapolis, they too said Diesel only, I used them anyway and haven't noticed any issues. If i remember properly, they may have even said something about Rover on them....

-Chase
Any updates on the conditions of your MINIs?

I just got a fuel filter kit and the gaskets also say "DIESEL ONLY." I was hoping to do the filter swap over the holiday break, but I think I will hold off until I can get the proper kit.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I recently got a filter kit and had the same problem. I just re-used the old seals which were in fine condition. After seeing how nasty it was, I plan to change mine ever couple of years from here on out, so it'll get fresh seals soon enough.

As your car is a little older than mine, possible that your seals aren't so pretty.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I recently got a filter kit and had the same problem. I just re-used the old seals which were in fine condition. After seeing how nasty it was, I plan to change mine ever couple of years from here on out, so it'll get fresh seals soon enough.

As your car is a little older than mine, possible that your seals aren't so pretty.
Good points. I think I will wait for the proper seals---got other car chores to do in the meantime.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
My car is just fine, did it last february. The part numbers are correct, so if there is any problem, seems like it will wind up being BMW's problem.

-Chase

Old 12-03-2009, 05:10 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
My car is just fine, did it last february. The part numbers are correct, so if there is any problem, seems like it will wind up being BMW's problem.

-Chase
Thanks for the update!
:-)

Old 12-14-2009, 12:11 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Update ... after returning the 'diesel only' filter set to the dealer, I ordered one online with a note saying not to send a set with the 'diesel only' gasket. The set arrived and it said 'diesel only.'

Anyhow, when I returned the set to the dealer, the parts guy said there is no problem with the diesel only set.

Sooo .... I changed the filter today compared the old gasket to the new 'diesel only' gasket and they look identical even in terms of the look and feel pf the rubber. That may not be significant, but I went ahead and put in the new gasket. As Blimey says, I will probably replace the filter again in a couple of years anyway.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Fuel filter kit - diesel only gaskets

ofioliti:

After you installed the "diesel only" gaskets, were you ever able to determine whether there was any difference between them and the regular gas version? The reason I ask is that I intend to make this the only time I replace the fuel filter... I'm at 105k miles now.

Please let me know about this and also about whether the diesel kit that I was stuck with has any other differences, for example, the actual filter.

Thanks,
MJLWRITER

Originally Posted by ofioliti
Update ... after returning the 'diesel only' filter set to the dealer, I ordered one online with a note saying not to send a set with the 'diesel only' gasket. The set arrived and it said 'diesel only.'

Anyhow, when I returned the set to the dealer, the parts guy said there is no problem with the diesel only set.

Sooo .... I changed the filter today compared the old gasket to the new 'diesel only' gasket and they look identical even in terms of the look and feel pf the rubber. That may not be significant, but I went ahead and put in the new gasket. As Blimey says, I will probably replace the filter again in a couple of years anyway.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mjlwriter
ofioliti:

After you installed the "diesel only" gaskets, were you ever able to determine whether there was any difference between them and the regular gas version? The reason I ask is that I intend to make this the only time I replace the fuel filter... I'm at 105k miles now.

Please let me know about this and also about whether the diesel kit that I was stuck with has any other differences, for example, the actual filter.

Thanks,
MJLWRITER
As mentioned earlier, the original gasket and the 'diesel only' gasket look identical. I have had no problems since installing the 'diesel only' gasket.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
It is highly unlikely anybody will have this issue again...I guess it is possible that a few kits could have been sitting on the shelf for the past few years....mini was quick to provide replacement gaskets, since the kits were put togeather with the wrong ones.
like I said...it is highly unlikely any of those old kits are around...if you do get one, complain, and get the propper part. It was a known and, in the mini community, a publizized issue.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 AM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Actually, I was unfortunate enough to receive one of the kits with "Diesel Only" gaskets. I'm having my supply house order 2 more kits, which will be delivered on Tuesday. No one in shipping will open up the boxes, so hope at least one of 'em is of the type appropriate for regular gas. Questions: are any of the other parts (filter or o-rings) specific to diesel or only the gaskets? Do you think the diesel-only gaskets would really be damaged by gasoline? Last, assuming I follow the steps, how likely/unlikely will it be that I'll have initial starting issues and/or error codes? Would you recommend any de-pressurizing steps to avoid gas coming out in large quantities? I was thinking of taking and leaving off the gas cap... Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
It is highly unlikely anybody will have this issue again...I guess it is possible that a few kits could have been sitting on the shelf for the past few years....mini was quick to provide replacement gaskets, since the kits were put togeather with the wrong ones.
like I said...it is highly unlikely any of those old kits are around...if you do get one, complain, and get the propper part. It was a known and, in the mini community, a publizized issue.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:28 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The gasket is not something I would screw with...gas can be dangerous, and the seal is under the back seat...if it ever leaks....bad news.
interesting to hear that some of those old kits are still around...sounds like the supplier is understanding....maybe they bought the filter kits cheap...for a reason..

Last edited by ZippyNH; 05-28-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Ps...i'd drive the fuel level pretty low...then change the filter....just be careful...have some rags around, maybe a container to drop the old filter in when you pull it out...maybe some rags laid about around it to get the drips...gas cap off will do what you intend.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
I was unfortunate enough to receive one of the kits with "Diesel Only" gaskets. I'm having my supply house order 2 more kits, which will be delivered on Tuesday. No one in shipping will open up the boxes, so hope at least one of 'em is of the type appropriate for regular gas. Questions: Are any of the other parts (filter or o-rings) specific to diesel or only the gaskets? Do you think the diesel-only gaskets would really be damaged by gasoline? Assuming I follow the steps perfectly, how likely/unlikely will it be that I'll have initial starting issues and/or error codes? Would you recommend any de-pressurizing steps to avoid gas coming out in large quantities? I was thinking of taking and leaving off the gas cap...

Originally Posted by ofioliti
As mentioned earlier, the original gasket and the 'diesel only' gasket look identical. I have had no problems since installing the 'diesel only' gasket.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:14 AM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Getting Madder All the Time...

Parts supplier has ordered two more kits, in hopes that at least one of them is not the diesel fuel only type. While I am waiting, I called two local MINI dealerships. Both opened up the kits and they were of the diesel only type. My shipment comes in at 1:30. I am sure both will be diesel only. I am them faced with the decision of installing a diesel only kit. Doesn't make sense that if these kits were packed incorrectly this way some years ago, that they're still in the marketplace so widespread. Something is amiss here. Any concrete thoughts on the matter?

Originally Posted by mjlwriter
I was unfortunate enough to receive one of the kits with "Diesel Only" gaskets. I'm having my supply house order 2 more kits, which will be delivered on Tuesday. No one in shipping will open up the boxes, so hope at least one of 'em is of the type appropriate for regular gas. Questions: Are any of the other parts (filter or o-rings) specific to diesel or only the gaskets? Do you think the diesel-only gaskets would really be damaged by gasoline? Assuming I follow the steps perfectly, how likely/unlikely will it be that I'll have initial starting issues and/or error codes? Would you recommend any de-pressurizing steps to avoid gas coming out in large quantities? I was thinking of taking and leaving off the gas cap...

Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 AM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Currently on with BMW, explaining the situation, and they are telling me to contact a MINI parts department. This is the problem when your car is manufactured by one company (BMW) with a purely marketing arm as the representative (MINI USA). Essentially, they are saying they can't help me -- even though this apparently is a several year's old documented case. Someone must've been wrong on this site, saying the old diesel kits have been weeded out -- since every place I've contacted has ONLY the diesel kit. Unless I can get lucky and get my hands on a non diesel kit, I guess I will have to just not do this swap.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
I am guessing you will be OK with the 'diesel only' gasket. I haven't heard of a single issue with the gasket and our MINI dealer parts guys has said that is the gasket they have been using. Maybe the 'diesel only' print was a mistake in production and in fact it is the same gasket (as it appears to be). Just a thought.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:50 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Damnit. Just got done swapping my filter out and yes, ended up with the diesel only gaskets. No way am I taking that thing apart again.
Who here has had the diesel gaskets on the longest? Any issues?

Quick Reply: Fuel filter tank seals were wrong!