Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio New Perspective (3D) View For The MINI's NAV System!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Perspective (3D) View For The MINI's NAV System!

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here (as I've basically given up on the MINI community for many reasons). However, as a follow up to my Motoringfile.com article on the V26 Nav update (A New Look For The MINI's Nav), I just thought that folks with the factory MINI Nav system would like to know that there is now a new BETA release of the V26 OS update (i.e. V26.09a) which now adds a "Perspective" or 3D "birdseye" view to the MINI's NAV system.

The update is a patch to the V26 OS and so you MUST have V26 installed in order to install the patch. After adding the patch, you will have a new "Perspective" entry on the menu where you choose the Travel Direction (e.g. Pointing North, etc.).

The update is ONLY FOR MKIV (i.e. DVD-based) systems so don't even try installing it if you have an older MKIII (CD-based) system.

So far it looks pretty cool!

Here's a thread on the X5 forum that talks about the update and tells you how to get it:

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-sy...tive-view.html

Enjoy!

-- MIKE

P.S. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE! INSTALL IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Old 02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Thanks Mike - you rock!

Old 02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
A couple of things to note that may be important to MINI owners:

Loading this beta release appears to put the nav drive into Euro mode (no accept screen, units in yards rather than feet) THIS CAN ONLY BE UNDONE BY THE DEALER!

Splash Screen shows "T26.09A" rather than "MINI"

These two items alone may be enough to cause most folks to wait for an official V27 release with this update rolled into it. However, I wanted to share this for those folks who like living on the edge.

Oh and BTW...

If you really want a kick in the pants. Take a look at the following screen shots. This is rumored to be a pre-release of an upcomming V27 update for the BMW/MINI NAV OS. It is a complete rewrite of the entire OS and it looks totally awesome. I've heard rumors that it won't actually be released though because the MKIV computer is not powerful enough to handle it.

http://home.comcast.net/~caraudiotech/screen_shots.htm

EDIT: Oops! I see this has already been posted here: New Nav v27 screen shot

-- MIKE

Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
May be reason to upgrade to the MKIV! A salvage yard quoted $250 for the DVD unit.

Matt

stuck in CD land for now....

Old 02-17-2006, 08:49 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's cool! Thanks for the update. I love my Nav, but recently I've been finding it highly inaccurate. My nav took me a mile past my destination yesterday--got off the 101 freeway, went north, when I should have gone south for 1 block. LOL. Still I love my Nav.

Btw, you got a PM.

Richard

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here (as I've basically given up on the MINI community for many reasons). However, as a follow up to my Motoringfile.com article on the V26 Nav update, I just thought that folks with the factory MINI Nav system would like to know that there is now a new BETA release of the V26 OS update (i.e. V26.09a) which now adds a "Perspective" or 3D "birdseye" view to the MINI's NAV system.

The update is a patch to the V26 OS and so you MUST have V26 installed in order to install the patch. After adding the patch, you will have a new "Perspective" entry on the menu where you choose the Travel Direction (e.g. Pointing North, etc.).

The update is ONLY FOR MKIV (i.e. DVD-based systems) so don't even try installing it if you have an older MKIII (CD-based) system.

So far it looks pretty cool!

Here's a thread on the X5 forum that talks about the update and tells you how to get it:

http://www.x5world.com/navigation-sy...tive-view.html

Enjoy!

-- MIKE

P.S. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THIS IS BETA SOFTWARE! INSTALL IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
... I love my Nav, but recently I've been finding it highly inaccurate...
Yeah, but that's a map data issue and has nothing really to do with the NAV system itself (or the O.S.). NavTech (or NavTeq) needs to pull their act together and make the map data on their DVDs/CDs more accurate.

It appears that they're so busy trying to release updates to make money that they are letting the accuracy go wayside now. My first 2003-2 DVD seems way more accurate than my current 2005-2 DVD does.

However, I continue using the newer DVD since it has updated POIs on it and that's what really matters to me. I only wish that the BMW/MINI NAV system had a better way of accessing the POIs is all. It's very frustrating trying to locate a restaurant, etc. when you are in a hurry. The current system is very difficult to use. The pre-release (that I pointed to above) would make it much easier I'm sure.

Take care...

-- MIKE

Old 02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Thanks for the info - I'll prob wait (its my ol' if it ain't broke mentality ) but I appreciate your effort to keep us in the loop

Old 02-17-2006, 09:38 AM
dashiel
2nd Gear
are there legitimate ways to get updates to the OS, e.g. taking it to the dealer?

Old 02-17-2006, 10:47 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Mike, thanks for your contributions to the MINI community, and sorry to see that you had become disillusioned. When I look through some of the forums I guess I can understand though. I personally benefited from your posts on the NAV update and rear view camera.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Thanks guys as I really do appreciate your kind words.

I'm still a HUGE MINI fan. I'm just keeping more to myself now is all.

The new Perspective view for the MINI's NAV system was just too good not to pass along though.

Take care...

Old 02-17-2006, 11:00 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dashiel
are there legitimate ways to get updates to the OS, e.g. taking it to the dealer?
Sure!

Your local MINI dealer should be able to upgrade your MINI's NAV O.S. to V26 without a problem (as long as it is a DVD-based system). From what I'm hearing, most don't even charge to do so (as it's a five minute job tops).

Just be aware that the latest V26.09a update is a BETA and so there's no way that your dealership will do that one for you.

I hope this helps some...

Old 02-17-2006, 12:53 PM
francisk
6th Gear
Nice!! can't wait for heading back home and burn a copy of the 26Beta.

BTW.. for EURO mode, I bet the MPG will be calculated in Imp. gallon not US. gallon. Correct me if I am wrong!

Old 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM
dashiel
2nd Gear
Sure!

Your local MINI dealer should be able to upgrade your MINI's NAV O.S. to V26 without a problem (as long as it is a DVD-based system). From what I'm hearing, most don't even charge to do so (as it's a five minute job tops).

Just be aware that the latest V26.09a update is a BETA and so there's no way that your dealership will do that one for you.

I hope this helps some...

cheers TOM. i actually don't have the car yet it's at the dock in southampton so it may even have made it on the nav (though i doubt it). fortunately i live only a few miles from the mini dealership so even if it's not it won't be a massive journey.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:42 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by francisk
BTW.. for EURO mode, I bet the MPG will be calculated in Imp. gallon not US. gallon. Correct me if I am wrong!
I don't know if anyone really knows for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say that it would be. I ran my first MINI in the "no location" mode (as it's really called) for a couple of months (I did it mostly to escape the silly Accept screen), and to tell you the truth, I didn't notice much of a difference. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the voice guidance being given in yards instead of feet. Just divide by three and you're right back on track though.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Funny, I have avoided the no location mode based on irrational fear. I would actually understand guidance in yards better than feet. I just have a hard time visualizing, say 150ft. I can visualize 50 yards though - half a football field. It's tempting, just to get rid of the nag screen.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:45 PM
francisk
6th Gear
I don't know if anyone really knows for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say that it would be. I ran my first MINI in the "no location" mode (as it's really called) for a couple of months (I did it mostly to escape the silly Accept screen), and to tell you the truth, I didn't notice much of a difference. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the voice guidance being given in yards instead of feet. Just divide by three and you're right back on track though.
The good thing about mpg in Imp. gallon is.. You always have above 30mpg even you do lots local traffic.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Tempting to upgrade but I don't like how the MINI logo disappears. I can deal with the other issues.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:21 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
I'm

a huge fan of running Beta's at least on my PC, and if something blows/up breaks I can always fix it. But with my car thats one thing I don't mess around with. As much as I'd love to install this, I'll be waiting for a final release of the firmware.

Thanks for the info though Office.

Howard

Old 02-17-2006, 04:44 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Tempting to upgrade but I don't like how the MINI logo disappears. I can deal with the other issues.
I think that this will be solved shortly. If you read through the comments in the thread I linked you to over on X5World you'll see that people have tracked down the actual file in the update that houses the graphic. They're real close to being able to replace it with the original graphic again (i.e. the MINI logo in our case).

Just hang on and it will happen I'm sure.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:12 PM
HowardPM
4th Gear
One feature

I'd love if Mini is out there listening... A lot of Nav systems will say the name of the road your on, in the fullscreen mode rather then having to use split screen to see it.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:34 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I think that this will be solved shortly. If you read through the comments in the thread I linked you to over on X5World you'll see that people have tracked down the actual file in the update that houses the graphic. They're real close to being able to replace it with the original graphic again (i.e. the MINI logo in our case).

Just hang on and it will happen I'm sure.
I saw that thread and I am waiting with baited breath.

Old 02-18-2006, 06:44 AM
scooby
3rd Gear
Just had a moment to take some pics of the new update and its awesome!!
Perfect!

Oslo anyone?

Disabled Icons

Hovering Aluminium Style 3D Loop

Enabled Icons

I like the way icons/placenames fade into the foreground and background
BMW need to keep packing in features like this before or at the same time as rival companies do otherwise people will opt for the external navs that have more options.
Im still waiting for postcode entry - this is possible just cant understand why they havent got this function available???
Come on BMW sort it out

Old 02-18-2006, 08:54 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I'm on the fence about whether to install beta-level software. A couple of questions:

1. Was anything else updated besides the addition of perspective view?
2. The perspective view looks really cool, but how practical do you find it for everyday use while driving? Is it good enough that you can leave it in that mode all the time? I'd rather leave my NAV in one mode rather than switch view modes while I'm actually driving and in motion.

By the way, there was one comment in the X5 forum that said BMW stopped development of this version, and it might never be officially released.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:10 AM
scooby
3rd Gear
seems fine to drive with as you can see the next up n coming junction or turn as the road layout ahead appears which is sometimes better than the birds-eye view

im not aware of any other addition to the nav other than this perspective view

Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Some of the great folks @ X5forums have made the update work and have removed the screen that boots up with the Beta version number. I just updated my MINI and now have the new perspective view and no accept screen on boot

Check it out here: Also see post #167
http://www.x5world.com/102790-post161.html

I am going to try and condense this into one post on my blog and on here to help folks.