Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Show off your gauges here! Pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Not to flaunt safety, but I would assume the 'fluffy pillow' from the steering wheel would hit you before the gauges. The head airbag attaches up in the front, but any force should push the gauges toward the center of the car, not the back. Let's hope he never finds the answer.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:33 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Not to flaunt safety, but I would assume the 'fluffy pillow' from the steering wheel would hit you before the gauges. The head airbag attaches up in the front, but any force should push the gauges toward the center of the car, not the back. Let's hope he never finds the answer.
I wouldnt wanna take the risk

Old 04-14-2005, 04:37 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
wow can you say Apillar for mini!

that is some sweet stuff!

minionrails where can i get it from and how much!???????????
and how did you work around the airbag?

carlos

Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
I've searched and searched and can't find the thread. A while back one guy mounted 2 gauges in his dash by cutting holes for them. Looked really sweet if you have nerves of steel and a sharp hole saw.

Last edited by DVLMINI; 04-14-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:00 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
dont know about that one but heres mine

Attached Thumbnails Show off your gauges here! Pics here!-gauge-cluster-small.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005, 05:08 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cdconsor
dont know about that one but heres mine
ok that what i want!
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdconsor can you tell me where did you get the adapter from or take a picture from the back! wow very interested!

give me more pics!

Old 04-14-2005, 05:21 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
thanks. its all home fab'd. well the bracket at any rate. I originally got the gauge kit from promini but thought it was still a little spare aesthetically. So I bought 2 more autometer gauges (I really would not recommend a/f ratio, its fun but basically useless), bought 2 more mounting cups from promini. Filed all of the cups down by 1/4 inch. mounted the back of each cup to an aluminium bracket (basically a horizontal bar with 2 wings that slope down and out (since I did a reasonably good job, you cant see it )). for the wiring, I added into the promini harness.

After that I found that it rattled a bit so I then attached the cups together on their sides and now its solid.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cdconsor
thanks. its all home fab'd. well the bracket at any rate. I originally got the gauge kit from promini but thought it was still a little spare aesthetically. So I bought 2 more autometer gauges (I really would not recommend a/f ratio, its fun but basically useless), bought 2 more mounting cups from promini. Filed all of the cups down by 1/4 inch. mounted the back of each cup to an aluminium bracket (basically a horizontal bar with 2 wings that slope down and out (since I did a reasonably good job, you cant see it )). for the wiring, I added into the promini harness.

After that I found that it rattled a bit so I then attached the cups together on their sides and now its solid.
thanks... im going to start working on that! hehe i should post pictures when im done

carlos

Old 04-14-2005, 07:47 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCampos
Yeah, this is a great setup til that airbag deploys.... then you get smacked in the face with 4 gauges.... honestly, if those hit you when the airbag deployed it would probably kill you.
The airbags are mounted above the door window, not on the A pillar. The A pillar is basically not affected when the side bags deploy. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is mine so far. Water temp and oil temp below the toggles soon.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Electric_S
2nd Gear
does anyone sell an a-pillar pod for this car? preferably one with just 2-3 guages.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:19 PM
minionrails
1st Gear
My Dials

Thanks For the responese ...at least some of them .I appreciate the concern of the gauges becoming a hazard .Has anyone taken the pilller down .If you did you would realize the one ,its teathered to the car and two the air bag is a curtain that come down from the roof and is just anchored at the piller .The piller moves just enough for the nylon strap to free its self.
The questions about where to get the mount is ...I built it . It has a a/f ,oil pressure,volt meterand boost gague. They are autometer ultra lite gagues with red lights, i have a night time pic to but it didnt post for some reason.
Well that,s about it . Thanks Again

Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by warchieft2k
thanks... im going to start working on that! hehe i should post pictures when im done

carlos
good luck. let me know if I can be of any help

Chuck

Old 04-15-2005, 01:49 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Defi

Originally Posted by VoiD
.....Also does anyone have Defi gauges? show them off!
Attached are two pics of the gauges on my '03 MCS. Originally, I had seven Autometer UltraLite Gauges (52mm): Boost, Exhaust gas temp (EGT), Intake air temp (IAT-single channel), Oil pressure, Oil temp, Water temp, and A/F (narrow band). The A/F gauge was essentially worthless, so it was removed. A friend make a custom bracket for the six gauges, with three on each side of the tach. BTW, the gauges were housed in VDO cups. I also had a G-Tech Pro Competition meter on top of the dash.

Recently, I replaced the Autometer gauges, except IAT, with the Defi Link System. The gauges are 52mm, with a red pointer, white faces, and awesome nightime green illumination. Each gauge has a warning light that can be set by the Defi Control System. I have been very pleased with the Defi products and encourage you to consider them. One need not get the Defi Link System; but individual gauges that are slightly different from mine are available in the D-Gauge series. For some neat photos and specs, check out www.defi-shop.com

Picture One
Left
top - Autometer IAT
next down - Water temp
far left - Oil temp
bottom - Oil pressure

Right
top - G-Tech Pro Competition meter
next down - EGT
far right - Fuel pressure
bottom - Boost

Picture Two
Close-up of the Boost gauge

On the dash by the windshield is a Defi VSD Basis --- heads-up display for speed, rpm's and shift light. Future plans include the Innovate Stand Alone wide-band O2 sensor and digital gauge.

Attached Thumbnails Show off your gauges here! Pics here!-mini-gauges.jpg   Show off your gauges here! Pics here!-defi-boost-gauge.jpg  
Old 04-15-2005, 04:59 AM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minionrails
Thanks For the responese ...at least some of them .I appreciate the concern of the gauges becoming a hazard .Has anyone taken the pilller down .If you did you would realize the one ,its teathered to the car and two the air bag is a curtain that come down from the roof and is just anchored at the piller .The piller moves just enough for the nylon strap to free its self.
The questions about where to get the mount is ...I built it . It has a a/f ,oil pressure,volt meterand boost gague. They are autometer ultra lite gagues with red lights, i have a night time pic to but it didnt post for some reason.
Well that,s about it . Thanks Again
Looks like you did your homework, and a really nice job as well.

Makes me want to see the rest of your MINI. :smile:

Old 04-15-2005, 06:16 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
RECOOP,

Speaking as someone who has too many gauges ... you have too many gauges.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:56 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
RECOOP,

Speaking as someone who has too many gauges ... you have too many gauges.
One can never have too many gauges. In fact, I'm working on an electrical sensor (probe) that will give accurate recordings of the "butt virtual dyno" (BVD), or maybe I'll call it the "computerized recorder of **** pressure (CRAP)? I don't know about you, but if I can't beat 'em on the track, I can out gauge 'em

Cheers,

Old 04-18-2005, 09:30 PM
REDWORF
2nd Gear
Migrating Radio

Cooper S IRE:

Your install is what I have been considering but I was wondering how difficult it was to move the radio down. The other option I considered was to move the switch panel down and insert the radio between the heater / AC controls and the lowered switch panel.

Did you need to fabricate some form of bracket and do you have photos of the removals and re-installation?

K. F. Duke

Old 04-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Cooper S IRE
2nd Gear
hi Redworf,

no its not to difficult you just remove the panel in front of the center speedo
and remove the two down tubes and cut a slot in each one the width of your radio cage at an angle so the radio points up
also you will need to remove the panel underneath the switches it is so the radio cables can come out for the new position
sorry i dont have any pics but if you need any more info feel free to ask
i will post a pic of the finished job soon
also if you do this you will realise it is quite difficult to move the switches as the cables for them are not that long and the switches are held in place by the center console so to put the radio there you would have to remove a lot of plastic
hope this helps

Old 04-19-2005, 12:41 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Attached are two pics of the gauges on my '03 MCS. Originally, I had seven Autometer UltraLite Gauges (52mm): Boost, Exhaust gas temp (EGT), Intake air temp (IAT-single channel), Oil pressure, Oil temp, Water temp, and A/F (narrow band). The A/F gauge was essentially worthless, so it was removed. A friend make a custom bracket for the six gauges, with three on each side of the tach. BTW, the gauges were housed in VDO cups. I also had a G-Tech Pro Competition meter on top of the dash.

Recently, I replaced the Autometer gauges, except IAT, with the Defi Link System. The gauges are 52mm, with a red pointer, white faces, and awesome nightime green illumination. Each gauge has a warning light that can be set by the Defi Control System. I have been very pleased with the Defi products and encourage you to consider them. One need not get the Defi Link System; but individual gauges that are slightly different from mine are available in the D-Gauge series. For some neat photos and specs, check out www.defi-shop.com

Picture One
Left
top - Autometer IAT
next down - Water temp
far left - Oil temp
bottom - Oil pressure

Right
top - G-Tech Pro Competition meter
next down - EGT
far right - Fuel pressure
bottom - Boost

Picture Two
Close-up of the Boost gauge

On the dash by the windshield is a Defi VSD Basis --- heads-up display for speed, rpm's and shift light. Future plans include the Innovate Stand Alone wide-band O2 sensor and digital gauge.
now thats alot of gauges... wow! nice!

Old 05-26-2005, 10:23 PM
SleeperBlack
Neutral
question

I guess i'm a bit naive... if you have a mechanical oil temp gauge in your car, is oil running through that gauge? If we're talking boost, fine, I'll take cool air on me, but I don't want 260degree oil on my thighs.. someone please explain this to me...
-Joe

Old 05-28-2005, 12:09 AM
GRENDEL
3rd Gear
Old 05-28-2005, 01:30 AM
CarbonChrome
2nd Gear
sleeperblack i dont know for sure, but i believe its just like anyother temp gauge; i.e. its got an electronic temp sensor attatched the the guage, they are pretty simply designed with just a reference voltage, a temp transistor, and op amp and a couple resistors, just dump it in the oil tank/resivior/whateverthingy and attatch it a guage. of course a pre made one would be much more slick looking but i imagine it would work the same way.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:50 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
gauges?

/

Old 07-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
here is mine

Bracket was 6.95 required a little fabrication. The whole set-up was under $90.00

Since the gauge is 15lbs - I get pretty entertaining needle action

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Show off your gauges here! Pics here!