Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension The M7 Coilover Suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The M7 Coilover Suspension....

Many have requested more info regarding the new M7 Coilover system.

First I would like to dispel some wild guesses regarding where the shocks are manufactured and their capabilities.

Where are they made? Not in China!!

Are they customizable? Yes they are. We can offer custom valving
and any spring rates -- available spring rates range from 230 lbs-900 lbs. Custom orders will add some extra time for delivery and an additional charge for custom valving, springs and shipping from the factory.

How can they be as good as the top dog name coilovers on the market? The M7 Coilovers are engineered and manufactured to stringent standards using only the best materials available. Build quality is fantastic, with fit and finish surpassing most coilover systems currently on the market. We spent a lot of time making sure that valving both in compression and rebound would exceed the performance of all the competitor's models. Our other goal was to build an excellent shock at a very fair price point . . . and we believe we've done just that.

The M7 Coilover System is a Mono tube/Nitrogen gas pressure shock with 15-position adjustable settings.

In the design of these units some of my pet peeves were addressed:
#1 adjustment ***** that are impossible to adjust and hidden where the sun don't shine...

#2 the **** feels like it's rotating in a mix of cement and marshmallows.

The M7 units feature accessible adjustment ***** in both the front and rear, plus the adjustments are easy to feel (clicks) you will love it....

Spring rates were chosen to give outstanding drivability both on and off the track, 240 lbs front and 280 lbs rear rates.

Price: $1499.00

Availability:
End of February. We are taking pre-orders now. Please call to get on the growing list--initial production run is limited to only 100 sets.

Color: Clear anodized aluminum (matt silver) -- no green!

Racing Spring Kits (rates 300 lbs & 400 lbs) will also be available in February.

Feel free to call with any questions or needs that you might have.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

M7 Coilover suspension

Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter,

Can you comment yet on height range (for the standard 240/280 spring version)?

thanks

Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Hey peter,

when you say the spring rates range from 230-900lbs, do you mean that we can specify what rate we want, or will you offer certain rates between that range?

Also, what rate would you suggest for a track car that has to be driven on the road too. Too stiff a ride isn't much of an issue for me, the main reason i wouldn't get a huge spring rate is so the car won't be flummoxed by bumps etc. I want good street handling

Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Will they be height & rebound adjustable front and rear?

Old 01-17-2007, 03:13 AM
sportek1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by M7;
Where are they made? Not in China!!
Taiwan? just like the Megans?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:26 AM
hornguys
5th Gear
The springs are linear?

Almost-new Koni Yellows and H-Sports anyone?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:40 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Thank you for the clarifications. Sounds like your price point and the initial performance will be just what much of the MINI market looks for. I don't understand why we can't know where, or by whom, the pieces are manufactured. But I don't understand a lot of things, so I guess it is what it is...

mb

Old 01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Hi Guys...

I'm on my way out to install the M62 system on a car this morning.
I will take some time this afternoon to answer all your questions.....

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got back from my second day of experimenting with the new setup and thought I could post a few observations.I have to apologize as to not getting out sooner but no sooner did i get the shocks installed than i developed a small mechanical issue and was just able to get the car back on the road sat afternoon.
I started with a mid setting in the back and full soft in front which was my street setup with the Leda's. The first and still lasting impression was one of tautness more than just firm. The movement was still there but it was controlled. I went thru three different settings moving up 2 increments each time until I was at 12 in the rear and 4 in the front . The strange thing was that the ride actually seemed to improve as the settings were more toward firm. Now this was just the first 100 miles so it could also be that the struts were working in.I might mention here that I can now adjust all four corners in under 4 min The adjusters are very easy to use once you have a feel for the location and the only " tool " you need is a beach towel to lay on if you want to stay clean. Snap On makes a beauty at $ 99.95 I did have some settling in the rear which caused a minor rub on hard dips while in a turn but I took care of that yesterday when I raised the car 3/8 and had it aligned. There was no rubbing and no further settling today BTW. The really interesting thing is how they suck up sharp bumps whether it be railroad crossings or potholes. I have had 3 other coil over setups on the car and these are by far the best in that category.
Today rain was on the way so with limited time I went to what I would start at on the track which was full stiff in the rear and mid way on the front. The car was on rails to use a common term but it really felt that way. Before I knew I was driving a race set up on the street but now I do not have that same brutal sensation but according to my times I am already a little faster and there is more to come. I have been driving the same roads out here in a variety of cars since the late 70's so have a pretty good feel for any differences . The roads range from newly paved sweepers to REALLY rough potholes and torn up tarmac. One interesting observation which I had immediately is that my 1g warning light was going off a lot sooner than I expected. What I mean is that I did not feel that I was that hard into the turn but apparently I was . Overall the car seems a little easier to drive quickly and I will continue to experiment and report as I can.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Do these come with the Camber Plates?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxmini
I just got back from my second day of experimenting with the new setup and thought I could post a few observations.I have to apologize as to not getting out sooner but no sooner did i get the shocks installed than i developed a small mechanical issue and was just able to get the car back on the road sat afternoon.
I started with a mid setting in the back and full soft in front which was my street setup with the Leda's. The first and still lasting impression was one of tautness more than just firm. The movement was still there but it was controlled. I went thru three different settings moving up 2 increments each time until I was at 12 in the rear and 4 in the front . The strange thing was that the ride actually seemed to improve as the settings were more toward firm. Now this was just the first 100 miles so it could also be that the struts were working in.I might mention here that I can now adjust all four corners in under 4 min The adjusters are very easy to use once you have a feel for the location and the only " tool " you need is a beach towel to lay on if you want to stay clean. Snap On makes a beauty at $ 99.95 I did have some settling in the rear which caused a minor rub on hard dips while in a turn but I took care of that yesterday when I raised the car 3/8 and had it aligned. There was no rubbing and no further settling today BTW. The really interesting thing is how they suck up sharp bumps whether it be railroad crossings or potholes. I have had 3 other coil over setups on the car and these are by far the best in that category.
Today rain was on the way so with limited time I went to what I would start at on the track which was full stiff in the rear and mid way on the front. The car was on rails to use a common term but it really felt that way. Before I knew I was driving a race set up on the street but now I do not have that same brutal sensation but according to my times I am already a little faster and there is more to come. I have been driving the same roads out here in a variety of cars since the late 70's so have a pretty good feel for any differences . The roads range from newly paved sweepers to REALLY rough potholes and torn up tarmac. One interesting observation which I had immediately is that my 1g warning light was going off a lot sooner than I expected. What I mean is that I did not feel that I was that hard into the turn but apparently I was . Overall the car seems a little easier to drive quickly and I will continue to experiment and report as I can.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Thanks for the feedback, Randy. This setup sounds better all the time. Looking forward to more feedback after you are able to really "drive" them.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Originally Posted by ChrisW
I hope not!! I already have IE plates, and don't want to have to buy them again with the shocks...

Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I hope not!! I already have IE plates, and don't want to have to buy them again with the shocks...
and see i hope so as i don't have any yet.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
how low can the go? :D you know can I tuck like Kalbone?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tüls
how low can the go? :D you know can I tuck like Kalbone?
further along that question....do these coilovers lose travel when they are lowered? So a slammed ride would lose handling

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
from what I gather the fronts have independent height adjustment (like the Megans), the rears do not...

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
further along that question....do these coilovers lose travel when they are lowered? So a slammed ride would lose handling

Old 01-17-2007, 05:47 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This version will not come with adjustable plates but that does not rule out a later version having them as well. Peter has a interesting adj plate idea he may want to try but not in the fimmediate uture.

With regards to how low can you go lets put it this way. You can drop it till the wheels won't turn

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

With regards to how low can you go lets put it this way. You can drop it till the wheels won't turn

Randy
M7 Tuning
ha ha... awsome!

Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
This version will not come with adjustable plates but that does not rule out a later version having them as well. Peter has a interesting adj plate idea he may want to try but not in the fimmediate uture.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Is what cool daddy said true for the final run of coilovers.....you don't lose travel up front when slammed, but you do out back? How will that affect handling?

Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Great info ....thanks

The travel is probably less of an issue than preload.

If the rears arn't ride height adjustable then you are preloading the spring to lower it.
So really if you are going to go LOW, you would want to start with softer springs

Old 01-17-2007, 06:40 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
and increasing your preload also gives you more (/ faster) dropout

Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
If the rears arn't ride height adjustable then you are preloading the spring to lower it.
So really if you are going to go LOW, you would want to start with softer springs

ohhh yah...you're right, i didnt even think about that part of it....thanks

Old 01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
this set up is sounding pretty good. hopefully they make them in a bunch of cool colors...lol.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
not sure but if it's a linear spring the preload shouldn't have any affect on the spring rate... ?

Originally Posted by COR BLMY

Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
Peter,

Can you comment yet on height range (for the standard 240/280 spring version)?

thanks
M7 Coilover will have enough travel in the spring adjustment to either
sit at stock height, to scrape the inside liners of the wheel well.
Certain conditions like extra thick camber plates will lift the ride height accordingly.

Originally Posted by etalj
Hey peter,

when you say the spring rates range from 230-900lbs, do you mean that we can specify what rate we want, or will you offer certain rates between that range?

Also, what rate would you suggest for a track car that has to be driven on the road too. Too stiff a ride isn't much of an issue for me, the main reason i wouldn't get a huge spring rate is so the car won't be flummoxed by bumps etc. I want good street handling
We will have 300lbs front and 400lbs rear springs available from the get go. And if you dont mind a stiffer ride, these will be awesome on the track
and beyond. As for all the other spring rates, consider them custom order
in conjuction with the re-valved coilovers. Please call for spcific needs.

Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
Will they be height & rebound adjustable front and rear?
Yes.

Originally Posted by sportek1
Taiwan? just like the Megans?
No..
But remember it's a world economy with no boundries. Think about it
M7 could have picked up any crap shock from were ever many years ago.
But we wanted something really solid both in quality and performance
and that took 5 years....Ohh yeah we're on our fifth year

Originally Posted by hornguys
The springs are linear?
Linear baby...

Originally Posted by ChrisW
No, but I'm talking with H-sport to see if we can bundle the products at
a very attractive price point.

Randy's car is way low, with absolutly no issues what so ever, IE. these
coilovers have plenty of travel even at it's low settings. With that said
there's always a limit.

Originally Posted by cooldaddy
from what I gather the fronts have independent height adjustment (like the Megans), the rears do not...
Correct, but there's no need to have a seperate height adjuster in the rear
as there's no worries that they will bottom out (extreme long throw with internal bump stops.

Is what cool daddy said true for the final run of coilovers.....you don't lose travel up front when slammed, but you do out back? How will that affect handling?
See above...

Originally Posted by DOPAMINE
this set up is sounding pretty good. hopefully they make them in a bunch of cool colors...lol.
The only color is Black matt coating on the shock (looks like a gun finish)
and a clear matt aluminum on the spring seats and adjuster *****.

And as always feel free to call us any time, we love talking to you guys.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Quick Reply: Suspension The M7 Coilover Suspension....