R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 Possibly selling my '11 CMS (Not that I don't love it!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possibly selling my '11 CMS (Not that I don't love it!)

Ok, so I might sell my 2011 Countryman S for financial reasons. I love the car though but if I could buy a cheap 4x4 for the time being, we could save more money and move to the pacific northwest a lot sooner than if I keep the big car payment. We've got goals, I tell ya! I don't doubt I would buy another MINI at some point - they are fun, and mine's been very reliable, along with all the other good stuff.

So, any ideas on how to go about selling it? Has anyone used AutoTrader.com and if so, did you get results? I don't really want to trade it in because I got royally screwed last time I traded in a vehicle. It's pretty much perfect, although not garaged, so it's been dirty - a lot LOL

Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 AM
aznqtboy984
5th Gear
You can always try craigslist.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Zuman
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spent about two months looking for an All4 on eBay and Autotrader.com. It seems that the speed of sale depends on options and price (what a surprise!).
Leather, xenons, and automatic transmission seem to be in demand.
Frankly, Autotrader is probably all you need. Anyone who knows what they want is going to end up there. It appears that the selling price for a used 2011 from a dealer is about 10-12% off original sticker, while private deals end up closer to 15-18% off. I bought my used 2011 from a Buick dealer whose customers didn't fit the Mini profile and got a price of 15% off sticker.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Darn -- too bad you aren't in CA and it's not an automatic. I'd be all over that car!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
JonZeke
1st Gear
Cars.com, Autotrader, Craigslist...

The key is cross posting to get the most attention from buyers. Lots of pictures too! If you decide to post on Craigslist especially, having your photos linked in your ad so that they show up nice and big IN the ad helps immensely. Too many people rely on those crappy 4 basic photos they offer, then wonder why no one shows them love.

Sign up for Picasa if you haven't already, wash the CM and take lots of photos. Make sure to get all 4 sides (so that people see there aren't any major dents or weirdness), an interior shot or 3, and maybe a glamour shot in a nice location other than a parking lot. Try not to shoot the car on your street or wherever you park it either: Serious sellers want to create the illusion of where the car has been, or what it can do - not how you actually use it. I'm sure you have a park or whatever not far from you - take the time to shoot the car somewhere without a distracting background.

Alternatively, urban environments CAN be cool. Look for solid-color brick walls, or clean modern spaces. Having people or other cars in the shot can be really distracting, make sure the car is the star.

I've sold 5 cars over the years, and discovered that the sexier the photo shoot, the nicer the quality of the pictures (especially on Craigslist) the more interested buyers. I sold a 2004 Saab before buying my Countryman, and after 1 week of a post with just the small Craigslist photos I had precisely 0 emails. I reposted with big, lush shots inserted right in the page and within 3 days I had a bidding war on my hands! I kid you not, People were offering me MORE than I had the car listed for! Granted, it was sold for very very cheap, but still - I got more than book on a car and I owe thanks to the pictures.

Just remember, get a detail, no one wants to look at a dirty car!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
menehune2011
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zuman
I spent about two months looking for an All4 on eBay and Autotrader.com. It seems that the speed of sale depends on options and price (what a surprise!).
Leather, xenons, and automatic transmission seem to be in demand.
Frankly, Autotrader is probably all you need. Anyone who knows what they want is going to end up there. It appears that the selling price for a used 2011 from a dealer is about 10-12% off original sticker, while private deals end up closer to 15-18% off. I bought my used 2011 from a Buick dealer whose customers didn't fit the Mini profile and got a price of 15% off sticker.
Yep.... when I was searching for used 2011 Countryman All4 Autotrader.com was the first place I looked. I found my used CM All4 at a Volvo dealer and got an awesome price, much lower than any where else I looked.

You will not have a problem selling it. Used CMS All4 are rare indeed.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
MiniMouse17
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MrsZug
Darn -- too bad you aren't in CA and it's not an automatic. I'd be all over that car!
I'd be all over it too, if it weren't for the manual thing.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
It's not an ALL4, but it's still a sexy little car and it handles great. What's wrong with manual transmissions? That's half the fun! LOL No, I haven't had any clutch problems it just takes a little getting used to.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
MiniMouse17
5th Gear
I"ve tried driving manual's and have failed every time!! LOL I'm so not coordinated enough. I guess it would probably just take a lot of practice.
Sorry you have to sell though.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
So, I took my Countryman to a dealership to get the trade-in on it and, as I figured, it was way lower than what I'm willing to deal with. The buy-back program at the MINI dealership was $500 lower than THAT...so I'll either sell it, as I mentioned before or keep it and love it! LOL When I was driving it hope, I felt guilty that I had even considered getting rid of it...maybe she talks to me? Yikes!

Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
Ok - I listed it on AutoTrader.com at $28k (which is what KBB suggested.) Eek! I realize it would sell easier if it was listed at a lower price, but the payoff is more than that so I don't want to be so much in the hole that I'm screwed...we'll see how it goes!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of luck on the sale and potential move up here to the PNW

Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
froto13
2nd Gear
Autotrader is the way to go. That is what I used to sell the car I'm replacing with my cms. I got over double what the dealer was giving me for a trade in. AND i sold it less than a week after I posted it. I did have to drive a bit to meet the buyer but it was well worth it. I'll admit it was a little lucky. The buyer was looking for my model, and fell in love with the particular extras I had. However if there is someone looking for a CM yours has a good chance to sell! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 AM
menehune2011
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cutelildevil666
Ok - I listed it on AutoTrader.com at $28k (which is what KBB suggested.) Eek! I realize it would sell easier if it was listed at a lower price, but the payoff is more than that so I don't want to be so much in the hole that I'm screwed...we'll see how it goes!
Good Luck.... All you need is one person to fall in love with it. That is what happened to me when I found my CMS All4. Your MINI is a manuel transmission which was a rarity to find in a used CMS.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:40 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be a little late on this, but . . .

First time I listed on Craig's List, I got a lot of phone calls from idiots and people selling stuff. Now, when I sell on Craigs List, I create a blog page with lots of pictures and information and a G-Mail account specific to the sale. Listing is very basic information with the blog address, Blog tells buyers to e-mail contact information and a good time to call them. It makes it a lot easier to weed out the trash and everything gets deleted when you're done.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Cutelildevil666
2nd Gear
Thanks, everyone! I do hope I sell it for what I'm asking. Still need to get it detailed and take better photos to show her off better!

Originally Posted by Sealy
I may be a little late on this, but . . .

First time I listed on Craig's List, I got a lot of phone calls from idiots and people selling stuff. Now, when I sell on Craigs List, I create a blog page with lots of pictures and information and a G-Mail account specific to the sale. Listing is very basic information with the blog address, Blog tells buyers to e-mail contact information and a good time to call them. It makes it a lot easier to weed out the trash and everything gets deleted when you're done.
So THAT'S why people do that! LOL I didn't know - makes sense now.