R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Handling Monster

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:58 AM
jveramini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did I miss . Anyways! Just had my track day this Saturday and it was huge success!! I managed to come down from 1:02:357 (first ever TD in August) to 0:59:267!! I'm extremely happy with my result, how the car handled, and how I personally handled the car.

I feel like I finally pushed it to the limit and found the limit by going off the track on the same corner three times ...oops. Like Clarkson would say "a little poop came out right there" hahaha.

The problem in this corner was that I was going in too fast and forgot how to brake. I would understeer into the corner. This also had two other factors: 1. I would unconsciously let go of the throttle while cornering and 2. I was running 30psi in the front and 29 in the back, which I then went up to 35 and 32 respectively (street tires). After receiving some other tips, I learned how to brake with my left and to accelerate while cornering. These solutions helped a lot!...besides breaking again

After the TD, I saw some tire wear on the side wall of my right frontal tire (most turns are to the left). I believe this was done when I was running low tire pressure and sliding everywhere. Thoughts?

Going forward, I think I can slash another second and get into the 58s with stickier tires. I currently have Toyo Proxes T1R which are Ultra Summer. Going along with Tire Rack's categories, I think I will get a Max Summer set once I finish eating these haha. Even though I would love to run some Extreme Summer Yokohamas Advan Neova A08Rs, it would hurt my wallet with the tire wear on my daily drives . Looking for some input on tires. The next TD is in March 2017 so I've got plenty of time to decide.

Additionally, as I feel like I've used all my current mods to their limit and enjoyed every bit of performance they provide, I was wondering what your suggestions would be on my current setup. Side note: this is still my daily driver, so I can only go to a certain extreme (Me: "I should leave it stock, it's my DD". Inner Me: "you can still daily on coils, rims, kit, turbo" saw this on a meme from CarThrottle, found it too relatable hahaha)

Here's what I have so far:

2012 automatic MCS with all JCW mods (except recaros)
Milltek Catless Downpipe
Toyo Proxes T1R
Citroen DS3R Spark Plugs (1 degree colder than OEM)
26mm Eibach FSB
20mm Eibach RSB
Eibach Pro-kit Springs
Royal Purple 10w40 Oil
Rear Seat Delete
IE Fixed Front Camber Plates
H-Sport Rear Lower Control Arms
Custom Rear Strut Brace

I haven't changed the front control arm bushings yet. I got the Powerflex bushings, but my mechanic told me I got the ones for the R53. I spoke with Powerflex and they told me that it was correct that they do have two different bushings for R53/r56, but they are essentially the same, however, my mechanic had test fitted them and refuses to install them because he notices a difference. I was recommended the Alta PSRS bushings that allow caster changes. Any thoughts on these?

Open to all suggestions with regards to my current setup and I can't wait to lay it all out on the next Track Day date!

Here's a video of my best lap from Saturday!

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-22-2016, 05:44 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I run my tire pressure the opposite, lower in front for more grip higher in rear for more slip

I've never left foot braked in a mini, I have in RWD cars but in my R53s the rear is loose enough I never felt a need, I've had them drift out on me several times, I prefer to apex edit *LATE* so if they drift I can just put more foot into the gas

Last edited by MrBlah; 11-22-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:25 AM
jveramini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
I run my tire pressure the opposite, lower in front for more grip higher in rear for more slip

I've never left foot braked in a mini, I have in RWD cars but in my R53s the rear is loose enough I never felt a need, I've had them drift out on me several times, I prefer to apex edit *LATE* so if they drift I can just put more foot into the gas
Interesting...I run the opposite because my mini is very light in the back. I do want to learn how to throw the back end on purpose in order to position my mini better while cornering. Having the 4 bar set up, I've nevered had the back drift...common with some friends of mine who only have a RSB.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
4 bar setup? I run stock swaybars but springrates are 9kg/mm front 8kg/mm rear

Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 AM
jveramini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mega72
4 bar setup? I run stock swaybars but springrates are 9kg/mm front 8kg/mm rear
Yup . In the list above I mentioned the Eibach FSB and RSB. Then I have the JCW Front Strut Brace and a GP-Style Custom made Rear Strut Brace.

Not sure what my spring rates are but they are the Eibach Pro-kits

Old 11-22-2016, 09:36 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
ahh ok I understand, I did not bother with strut braces car does not seem like it needs it, these things are build like tanks

Old 11-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral
Mini Mania did come up with a nice fully adjustable rear bar (on my wish list)- got to like the toys-just ask for stuff they surely want to get on your good side
Thanks! Glad we could help! There are some really good Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday sales coming up soon in case you've been waiting to get something. Please check our site.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Bleedsblue
2nd Gear
You'll pick up seconds with a better tire, though I totally get the trade-off between eating through expensive tires on daily drives where you don't even capitalize on them, and a few seconds per lap at a bi-yearly or whatever track day. This is why people invest in extra sets of wheels (and I do it with snow tires in CO), I guess

Old 07-02-2017, 11:32 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
jveramini
Any updates?

Old 07-03-2017, 07:50 AM
jveramini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
jveramini
Any updates?
Hey Eddie! Been a while!

I sold the mini back in January . The daily commutes were piling on kms and the selling price was going down real quick. Thought about keeping it and go for the 100k+ kms and/or until the engine lost compression ...but oh well.

Opted for an 2017 Audi A3 1.4 tfsi with a manual transmission for a daily and had to let go of the mini. After riding the A3 for a bit and jumping back into the mini...good lord I don't know how I could daily such a stiff set up hahaha

The Audi has been fun nonetheless, done a couple of mods like wheels, lowered it, and a catback exhaust...but she won't see the track...mostly due to wanting to drive it like a mini but she won't perform like a mini .

Being a manual, I do keep the fun factor by riding around in the high revs (I feel faster than my mini at least ). If my mini was a manual and had already a clutch replacement, I think I would've kept it...auto tranny is not the best option for a mini if you really wanna bring out its full potential! Yeah I said it!

Maybe I'll come back to the brand when I have to replace the A3. Locally, the F56 JCW prices are ridiculous...and the JCW trim is the only trim that can get me to like the new F56 Fish-look .

And that's the end of this thread. Twas a great ride! Thanks for the help eddie! Best of luck!

Old 07-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Always sad to see someone leave the MINI Cooper fold, but from what I have seen and heard the Audi is a worthy replacement and has plenty of options for being modded. Around here there are Audi clubs and they do sponsor track events; just sayin'.

This is a good thread and I have used it as a reference. A lot of good discussion in here and glad that the direction you went with the suspension mods worked for you.

If you get another MINI, post back here and let us know. In the meantime, take care and enjoy rowing through the gears.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 07-03-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Typo