R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Which intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:13 PM
soupthefish
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which intake?

I know there's already a lot of threads on intake systems so I appreciate those who clicked, but I just cannot find good solid comparisons between the actual intake systems just people comparing filters! So I want the system with the best performance and sound (especially the low growl minis can make) and since I'm a student, cost and mpg are also a factor.

I've been looking at the K&N typhoon system at $270 for a while and the shining reviews made me pretty confident about it, but now I've discovered the DDMworks street intake at about $170.

K&N CLAIMS more power with their system and more reviews mentions improved power than do the DDM reviews, however I've also heard about another DDMworks intake that costs about $250 and really accentuates the low growls but I can't seem to find this system.

In any case I would really just appreciate any help with the situation.

PS. I'm also looking at the WMW BOV which apparently doesn't dump boost back into the atmosphere but actually circulates it at a higher volume. Thoughts?

Old 04-26-2015, 07:43 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way "all the way"

You can trust Way shoot him an email or call after MOTD. I went with his suggestion on air intake as well...got the JCW stage 2. Don't believe any of the BS about these fictitious HP gains you see from ECS adds and the like...which is bound to pop up below here before lunch tomorrow.

Last edited by cguzz; 04-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:47 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
What car do you have? Intakes won't give you any performance benefits, maybe some noise (aka sound). I suggest an afe dry performance panel filter for best performance.

If you don't have a turbo, stop there and put your upgrade dollars elsewhere (suspension, stereo). If you have a turbo, you can get a ECU tune for a real boost in power (min 15hp/20tq).

I don't know much about upgraded BOV.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 PM
ShadyCoop
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're set on getting an intake I'll give you my opinion. I went with the K&N system that you mentioned above. I love the sound that it makes when the turbo spools up and blows off. Yes, of course you won't get any noticeable HP gains, but it makes driving your Mini a bit more fun. On top of that, an upgrade in air flow is always a good thing. I didn't notice a positive or negative effect on MPG. Hope you find a system that suits you.

Tyler

Old 04-26-2015, 09:43 PM
soupthefish
Neutral
Originally Posted by yesti
What car do you have? Intakes won't give you any performance benefits, maybe some noise (aka sound). I suggest an afe dry performance panel filter for best performance.

If you don't have a turbo, stop there and put your upgrade dollars elsewhere (suspension, stereo). If you have a turbo, you can get a ECU tune for a real boost in power (min 15hp/20tq).

I don't know much about upgraded BOV.
Sorry i forgot to mention I have an 09 Clubman S which is bone stock at the moment and I would love an ECU tune if only I could find a place to do it cheap enough, I'm also afraid of mpg losses

Old 04-26-2015, 09:46 PM
soupthefish
Neutral
Originally Posted by cguzz
You can trust Way shoot him an email or call after MOTD. I went with his suggestion on air intake as well...got the JCW stage 2. Don't believe any of the BS about these fictitious HP gains you see from ECS adds and the like...which is bound to pop up below here before lunch tomorrow.
He really seems to have a great reputation, thanks for letting me know I feel really good about the BOV now.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:48 PM
soupthefish
Neutral
Originally Posted by ShadyCoop
If you're set on getting an intake I'll give you my opinion. I went with the K&N system that you mentioned above. I love the sound that it makes when the turbo spools up and blows off. Yes, of course you won't get any noticeable HP gains, but it makes driving your Mini a bit more fun. On top of that, an upgrade in air flow is always a good thing. I didn't notice a positive or negative effect on MPG. Hope you find a system that suits you.

Tyler
I'm not completely set on intake if you know of any better upgrades that are still relatively cheap i'm open to it. But yeah the main reason I want the intake is for the sound and because I've heard it helps with the turbo lagging from a dead stop which I find very annoying. Thank you

Old 04-26-2015, 11:04 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by soupthefish
Sorry i forgot to mention I have an 09 Clubman S which is bone stock at the moment and I would love an ECU tune if only I could find a place to do it cheap enough, I'm also afraid of mpg losses
i'm looking very hard at a manic tune. more power + same weight may actually give you better mpg if you aren't on full boost all the time (which is hard not to do). or a JB+ is a good starting point. Contact Mariokart on these forums and he will give you all the info you need.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can find a used DoS intake on the marketplace, I highly recommend it. It's not for everyone however. It connects to the bulk head and pulls cool air from the low pressure zone of the wiper cowl vents. Since this is in a hole that you cut into the bulkhead it is quite loud (compared to other intakes) possibly the loudest intake available. A nice side effect is the BOV type noise is greatly amplified with this intake, so it sounds as if you put on a Forge BOV. These can be hard to find.

My second vote is the AEM intake. Awesome construction and the funnel and box bits are plastic and not metal, so it helps reduce heat soak that a metal housing and hood scoop funnel would produce. Some times these will pop up on the marketplace as well.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM
2010CHILI
3rd Gear
I'm also shopping intakes for my 2010 R56S. Of all the ones mentioned, which wil NOT throw a code down the road? On my last car (2000 2 dr Accord V6) I ran a Fujita CAI, but every few months the car would get cranky and throw codes for either MAF or other sensor which drove me nuts.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
None of the intakes should every throw a code. Unless you clean and re-oil and oiled filter and put too much oil on it. Then it could throw a code for the MAF. Otherwise you should be fine.