R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Down pipe back VS Catback

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 AM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Down pipe back VS Catback

Comparing systems for my 2008 and I am reading some folks claiming CEL issues when they add a down pipe. Has anyone here had this issue? if so can it easily be corrected? or just go with the catback because the down pipe isnt worth the hassle

Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes you will get a CEL with a catless DP and most if not all higher flowing catted DP, like the Arkapovic.

You can get the Akrapovic Delele-R or some tunes like Manic can code it out.

If you live is a state that performs a sniff emissions test you might not pass.

You won't see much of an increase without a tune.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
really what i was considering was a catted down pipe. Not one of those yo dude i got a straight pipe types. But I did make an assumption there was a catted down pipe with better flow than stock that would pass emissions and would throw codes. if not no biggie CAI and catback it is. How are folks tuning a 2008 S these days?

Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The stock DP is 400 cell, iPE makes a 200 cell and Akrapovic makes a 100 cell. Lower numbers equal more flow. I have an Akrapovic and it definitely gives a CEL.

Many options for tuning the N14 engine. Including Battle, Manic, a used access port and many others.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:08 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Without a tune, a cat-back and CAI are really just audio improvements. There are lots of threads on both of these subjects, with lots of opinions. My personal experience is that I have the factory MCS air intake with a different filter (watch out for excessive oil if you choose a foam type filter) and the factory JCW exhaust. I had a stratmosphere exhaust that was wonderful above 3000 rpm, but had an awful drone. Factory JCW has a bit more sound than stock but no drone (I'm too old to deal with that every day).

Tunes can supress a CEL so that the light is not on, but it is questionable if it will pass a state inspection (different states have different requirements).

I have read that significant gains (5-10 hp) are possible with a catless dp, and more with a tune. In reading various threads, it also seems that there are negligible gains with cat-back exhaust and CAI systems.

Both of these items are pretty common used, check out the marketplace if used is OK with you.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM
JiminiGricket
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
Without a tune, a cat-back and CAI are really just audio improvements. There are lots of threads on both of these subjects, with lots of opinions. My personal experience is that I have the factory MCS air intake with a different filter (watch out for excessive oil if you choose a foam type filter) and the factory JCW exhaust. I had a stratmosphere exhaust that was wonderful above 3000 rpm, but had an awful drone. Factory JCW has a bit more sound than stock but no drone (I'm too old to deal with that every day).

Tunes can supress a CEL so that the light is not on, but it is questionable if it will pass a state inspection (different states have different requirements).

I have read that significant gains (5-10 hp) are possible with a catless dp, and more with a tune. In reading various threads, it also seems that there are negligible gains with cat-back exhaust and CAI systems.

Both of these items are pretty common used, check out the marketplace if used is OK with you.

Have fun,
Mike

yeah i am finding info that goes both ways. I am ok with also investing in a tune but i am not sure which parts this entails for my 2008