R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 ATF change. No stand/fill pipe?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
shanksamillion
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ATF change. No stand/fill pipe?!?

I removed upper fill bolt, then lower drain bolt on pan. A bit over 3 quarts came out without removing stand pipe. I thought this was odd because most of the oil should come out after reremoving pipe. Once oil stopped I went to remove pipe but my 5 inch long allen wrench went entirely in drain hole. There is no stand/fill pipe!!! How could this be? Has anyone heard of this? I guess I need to pull the pan now and maybe I'll find it broken in pieces in the bottom of pan. If I find no trace of the pipe, could they have forgotten it from the factory or did it just break and dissolve away?
Also do I need to replace the screen? I called two dealers for quotes and one was only doing fluid change for $399 and the other was also
pulling the pan, changing scscreen, new pipe, and gasket for $683. Even dealers do it differently.
Also, is there more than one drain bolt? I see a T 55 torque bolt on the bottom of the housing next to oil pan, could this be another drain bolt?
Is there more than one fill bolt? I located a T 55 on the top side back by firewall directly below abs module, could this be a fill hole? If so it appears it would allow the oil to flow straight into the pan. The other bolt close to the cylinder head looks like the ffluid has to pass through the torque converter which as I have read can be a slow filling process. Can I fill using the other bolt?

Old 12-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Sure you got the right drain?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:27 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I dropped my pan, and there was plenty of crap in there, but there was nothing in the screen. there is only one drain plug.

Stand pipe should be about $10 from dealer, or vendors from here should have them as well. Without the stand pipe you can only fill based on the amount that you got out, which shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you want, you can refill the amount that drained out, drive for a while, then do another change. Buy a stand pipe and install it after the next change.

No need to panic, unless a bunch went on the floor....

Mike

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
shanksamillion
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tio Barry
Sure you got the right drain?
Yes transmission oil came out.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM
shanksamillion
3rd Gear
You're right. All I can do is put atf oil back in it. Was curious if anyone has seen this issue with no stand/fill pipe before. Just to confirm, is the t55 bolt on the casing adjacent to transmission oil pan not a drain? Also what about the other possible fill plug towards firewall? Can you fill faster through that one? Thank you for all replies, this site is quite helpful. By the way I got over 3 quarts out with it cold.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:23 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shanksamillion
I removed upper fill bolt, then lower drain bolt on pan. A bit over 3 quarts came out without removing stand pipe. I thought this was odd because most of the oil should come out after reremoving pipe. Once oil stopped I went to remove pipe but my 5 inch long allen wrench went entirely in drain hole. There is no stand/fill pipe!!! How could this be? Has anyone heard of this? I guess I need to pull the pan now and maybe I'll find it broken in pieces in the bottom of pan. If I find no trace of the pipe, could they have forgotten it from the factory or did it just break and dissolve away?
It's unlikely that they forgot it at the factory.
Either you are not the first to go into the tranny, or it did break off. That also is not the end of the world, but would be an argument for dropping the pan to pick up the fragments.

I do hope you caught all the fluid coming out of the tranny, and measured it precisely. As that is exactly how much fluid you want to put back in!

Also do I need to replace the screen? I called two dealers for quotes and one was only doing fluid change for $399 and the other was also pulling the pan, changing scscreen, new pipe, and gasket for $683. Even dealers do it differently.
Also, is there more than one drain bolt?
By screen I assume you mean the filter. Yes - if you are at all inclined to drop the pan, then do replace the $40 filter. IIRC, you can re-use the $35 pan gasket, but I bought a new one just in case.

There is only one drain bolt in the corner of the tranny oil pan.

I see a T 55 torque bolt on the bottom of the housing next to oil pan, could this be another drain bolt?
Is there more than one fill bolt? I located a T 55 on the top side back by firewall directly below abs module, could this be a fill hole?
There is only one fill hole. Pic is below (see more in my N14 engine replacement album). I think it took T55 bit, but I forgot the exact torx size.

Fill (slowly), using the fill bolt in my picture.
A $3.00 wallmart long-neck fill funnel makes job easier. Screw the funnel into the fill hole's threads, and no fluid will leak out.

HTH,
a

Attached Thumbnails ATF change. No stand/fill pipe?!?-n14-tranmission-fluid-fill.jpg