R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 securing the flywheel (R56)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:26 PM
thinkinmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
securing the flywheel (R56)

So the tool to secure the flywheel which was included in a timing chain replacement tool kit, snapped...anyone have any pointers in how to quickly rig up a replacement, or another way to secure the flywheel? just looking for some tips, the vibration damper is off, now I just have to get that flywheel center bolt off to proceed with the process...The car is an 07 mini cooper S with the 6sp manual trans btw. Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can write a mini tutorial when this is all said and done, as there seems to be a lack of them out there (I also have the bentley manual, but it leaves some stuff out).

Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 AM
ROCNYMini
1st Gear
Is there room for an impact wrench? You might not have to secure the flywheel.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
In other cars, I have been able to use a combination wrench with the closed end over a stud (or maybe bolt) that holds the bellhousing onto the engine, and one of the jaws of the open end in between a couple of the teeth of the flywheel. Is there any way to set that up here?

Another possibility is some angle-iron with a couple of holes; one hole would go over the bellhousing stud, and one would be bolted onto the flywheel where one of the pressure plate bolts goes. You might even be able to use a box-end wrench instead of the angle-iron if you have one the right size.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:36 PM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
For REMOVING the hub, if you haven't already loosened the bolts on the camshaft sprockets, the tools would likely be strong enough BUT when you put it back together, you most definitely need to have the flywheel pinned to ensure the cams and crank are aligned. It would be best to either make or buy a/the tool to bolt on to the hub to hold the crankshaft when you remove/install the center bolt. See my profile for the tool I made. The REAL problem is going to be getting it back together. You'll either need a new pin, make one or fix the one you have. If you get the alignment off too far, you can destroy your engine :( I'm not trying to scare you, just be careful! once it's all back together, turn it over by hand a few times to ensure there is no interference.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
I think this was a pretty good thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eplaement.html

Old 11-23-2014, 04:00 PM
thinkinmini
2nd Gear
Yep went ahead and found a hex key socket that worked in lieu of the flywheel tool. I might either loctite the handle onto the flywheel tool or use a set of vicegrips to position it in the flywheel hole when I go to replace the crank bolt. Though if the socket continues to work, then I will probably use that. It seems to be sturdier than the tool actually.