R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 question about manic tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Moire
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about manic tune

hi!
been lurking for a while and decided to join up.
I was quite intrigued by the manic mini SPS switch. is this a standalone tune, as in all that is required is the SPS switch to tune the car? if yes, is this something that can be easily changed from stage one to stage two when I upgrade my engine? and do I go to stage two once I have one of the engine upgrades or once I have all 3?

I'm driving a 2011 MCS. I do not currently have any modifications, though I am planning on getting the aem cai in the near future.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:52 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The switch is just a switch. It contains no software or tunes. The tunes or "maps" are loaded into the DME using a laptop. Once loaded the switch lets you change between maps already installed. The DME will be loaded with the stage you request and you cannot jump stages without reflashing the DME. So if you are stock now you would get stage 1. Later on down the road you decide to install stage 2 or 3 supporting mods then you need to load stage 2 or 3 maps. They have changed the price structure so if you choose to upgrade later on they do not charge you full price but the cost difference between the stages.

So if you pay $500 for stage 1 then upgrade to stage 2 you don't pay $550 again but the $50 difference.

Here is the most recent breakdown of what each stage requires.
Stage 1
Standard car
Stage 1 +
FMIC + PANEL FILTER
FMIC + CAI
FMIC + CAI + CBE
Stage 2
DP + FMIC
DP + FMIC + CAI
TBE + FMIC
TBE + FMIC + CAI
Stage 2+
TBE + FMIC + CAI + RACE FUEL
TBE + FMIC + CAI + METH INJECTION

Old 09-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Moire
1st Gear
thanks for the reply. so how do I load the tune into the car? does this require other hardware? if so what kinds are out there?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Tunes(maps) can only be loaded by Manic dealers. There are a few of us across the country.
See http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233
for list of dealers.
If you are not near a dealer then you can have your DME bench flashed by mailing it in to the equipped dealers. I'm not sure who all has the SPX bench flashing tool but we are equipped to bench flash and have done several already.

Hardware is described above for each stage. So yes hardware is required if you want that particular stage. They are working on their own hardware "stage 3" kit but it is still in testing stage. Will have Manic branded down-pipe, Inter-cooler and hybrid turbo.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:07 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Moire
thanks for the reply. so how do I load the tune into the car? does this require other hardware? if so what kinds are out there?
To get the tune you have to find a dealer. You go to them, they download your DME to a file which is used for the baseline. Then the Tune file is uploaded to the DME which changes the parameters equal to the tune you've purchased or mods qualified for. If there is not a dealer within driving distance, they might coach you on removing the computer, which is easy to do, and sending it to them where the process is done "on the bench" sent back to you to replace and then you go like your hair is on fire! The switch allows you to switch back to your stock baseline if needed, for a dealer visit or whatever. That's the basics of it anyway.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Moire
1st Gear
I found a manic dealer on that list near me (Petaluma, California) but strangely no other info. I looked it up on google maps and it's a residence...?..

does mailing it to the dealer make the car undrivable until it's returned? or could multiple maps(?) be added at once for anticipated upgrades?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:28 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I found a manic dealer on that list near me (Petaluma, California) but strangely no other info. I looked it up on google maps and it's a residence...?..

does mailing it to the dealer make the car undrivable until it's returned? or could multiple maps(?) be added at once for anticipated upgrades?
Your car would be sitting until it's returned. I'm just a Manic user, so from that perspective, my understanding is you can buy any level if they'll sell it to you for anticipated upgrades. But if you just buy the level you need it won't cost you anymore later for the upgrade, except of course in your downtime and shipping.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Moire
1st Gear
I've seen multiple people saying that they didn't go to stage 2 because of wide "plugs". I'm assuming these are spark plugs. what can be upgraded on spark plugs? what are the ones recommended for stage 2 ?

Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Never heard the term "wide plugs" before and if it was spark plugs I am not sure why that would prevent you from getting a stage 2. Those are the least expensive part of the hardware requirements.

We use NGK 1422 for our stage 2 cars. They are 1 heat range colder as suggested by Manic. There is a few other plugs that meet that standard but those are easy to get and well priced.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:35 AM
tonsabe
1st Gear
can anyone post their results from a stage one tune (manic) on a 2011Sa? I am stock with about 74K miles. Also, I've seen about $500 buck at the dealership in Orlando. Anything else I should know?

Old 07-02-2015, 04:34 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To EuroTechAz,

I see you mention this plug, "NGK 1422" ? But for only the 2011sa? What is a colder plug for my slug-bug?
not to change the subject manic tune is my choice ..

I have the 09 S Turbo, looking for a colder plug plus tune and Cooper City is 30min south of me...So Manic tune in the works, I have the evolve DP, larger front mount, Cai,
Res and back cat delete...need more power.. What a slug this mini is

Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tonsabe
can anyone post their results from a stage one tune (manic) on a 2011Sa? I am stock with about 74K miles. Also, I've seen about $500 buck at the dealership in Orlando. Anything else I should know?
I just dyno'd (on a superflow) with my 2011 MCS clubman automatic, on stage 3 map c (and all supporting mods), at 245/271.

Dyno guy said superflow dynos will read a bit lower than dynojet numbers, I'm not real sure what the differences are between the two.

Stage 3 Map C is an absolute beast tho. Fun to burn out on the freeway nearly at speed!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 AM
JValenzSD
1st Gear
I'm in CA too and found one. I chose the same state due to fast turnaround times. You will have to remove the DME and put it in a box to ship, your tuner will bench flash it, and ship it back. My car was down for a day, but it was up and running the next. If you're looking for one close to you, I went with Mariokrt. He's awesome to deal with and fast too, as with all the other Manic tuners out there as well.