R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 P3cars Mini Cooper R56 Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM
8eMINI
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P3cars Mini Cooper R56 Review

Since I first purchased my 2013 Mini Cooper S R56, I have been wanting a boost gauge. I wanted an integrated setup that didn't look like a pod sitting on my dash at the time. My boyfriend has the P3cars Vent Integrated Gauge for his 335i and I've always liked the design of the product. When I heard that P3cars was coming out with a version for the Mini Cooper, I was immediately interested.

The P3Cars Mini Cooper Integrated Digital Interface was the perfect solution. It is sleek, has an OEM+ design, ingenious position, and is very stealthy! It uses CAN data and displays it for the user. Things like EGT, RPMS, shift light, throttle, ignition advance, and most importantly OIL TEMP can all be displayed!

This review will focus on:
  • My Experience With P3
  • Shipping / Tracking / Packaging
  • Product Details
  • DIY / Installation Info
  • Results / Finished Photos / Videos

Experience with P3 / Shipping
Tim at P3 was a pleasure to deal with. Just by talking to him, you know that he is a fellow enthusiast! P3 has offered friendly customer service with up-front info throughout the process. My order was shipped the day after my order was confirmed and the tracking number was emailed to me. The product was packaged nicely and everything was received as ordered.

Name:  image_zps53dbff82.jpeg
Views: 1017
Size:  32.8 KB

Package Contents:
Each item was packaged separately and neatly.

Name:  photo_zps107ed810.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  115.3 KB

P3cars gauge(display), control box(the "brain"), and low profile OBDII plug(connection).

Name:  photo11_zps64d59bdd.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  103.7 KB

I purchased the additional Analog Boost Sensor which is shown on the top left with the Boost tubing and the "T" splitter on the bottom right. These two are not required, but I purchased it anyway in case I decide to upgrade more parts such as the turbos or other performance upgrades in the future.

Name:  photo4_zpsdc4e7145.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  99.0 KB

Up-close shot of the P3 logo on top of the display.

Name:  photo5_zpscbb74e0c.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  91.2 KB

Installation / DIY
The installation video from P3cars was the only instructions I used to guide my install, it is an excellent demonstration. Keep in mind that only basic tools are required and everything is plug and play. I used a flat head screw driver to assist with removing the trim behind the steering wheel. I wrapped a few layers of painters tape (not too thick) to cover the tip of the screw driver to prevent it from scratching the trim. Be patient with the trim piece, it was easy for me because I had previously removed it when I replaced my trip to chrome-line. Take your time and be careful not to break it. Like in the video, push the piece up with one hand, slide the Flathead in, and pop it out. The hardest part of the install was getting the OBDII connection from the side of dash down to the foot-well.. and being a girl with small hands, I'm not sure how a guy would do it. Lastly, the video states to remove the weatherstripping along the door. For me, I did not find this necessary and it actually got in the way of the process. You will see once you watch the video.

Results / Finished Photos / Videos

Before (Apologies, all photos/videos were taken on my iPhone 5s)
Name:  photo31_zps07fbcc21.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  photo21_zps528c0588.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  121.2 KB

Here are pictures of it installed

Name:  photo12_zps8991676b.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  109.4 KB

Illuminates orange, just like all the OEM Mini display lights.
Name:  photo1_zpsaf517e3c.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  106.3 KB

Here are a few videos:

Scrolling through display options

Boost demo

Now that I have had the P3cars gauge on my Mini Cooper S R56 for about 1 week, I am very happy with the product! The design is simple yet sleek, it doesn't take away from the original Mini interior, and it has multiple useful functions. I never understood why Mini chose not to include gauges for oil temp, boost, etc. so I am very happy to have the option now. I also have the BMS JB+ Cooper S N18 installed on my Mini at the default setting and am now able to see the boost increase that I am getting. So far, the highest recorded boost was 15.1psi on 91 Octane. For those of you that may be interested to what I have done to my 2013 Mini Cooper S so far, here is a link to a blog post about my car. Feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited by 8eMINI; 05-09-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Formatting
The following users liked this post:
Kopasz (01-04-2024)
Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Sweat boost gauge and you don't void your warranty since you're not splitting wires to make a connection, I like the fact that it matches the color of the orange LED lights instruments.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM
ice.berg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been drooling over these for awhile now, really want to get one for my R55

Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Its a pretty cool all in one gauge, very easy to install as it fits on the dash trim. I like the rev bars and the number counter that work together in the screen. Also in the orange-ish color to match

Nice write up .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 05-12-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 PM
8eMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Sweat boost gauge and you don't void your warranty since you're not splitting wires to make a connection, I like the fact that it matches the color of the orange LED lights instruments.
I love the fact that no warranty is being voided

Originally Posted by ice.berg
I have been drooling over these for awhile now, really want to get one for my R55
Its a great product, you should definitely go for it!

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Its a pretty cool all in one gauge, very easy to install as it fits on the dash trim. I like the rev bars and the number counter that work together in the screen. Also in the orange-ish color to match

Nice write up .
Thanks, the rev bar is definitely an awesome feature

Old 05-09-2014, 06:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I installed my yesterday. I'm not sure if it's in the video but the plastic knee trim below the steering wheel removes with three screws (remove the screws and pull) and this makes routing the wires much easier. There is actually a little cubby hole to put the controller box in.

I do wish that they included more parameters (PIDs) to monitor such as AFR, maybe with a software/firmware update.

Overall I'm very happy.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Bananer
Neutral
Thank you so much for this write-up! I've been looking at installing something similar and the P3Cars device is at the top of my list.

Question - does it have a feature that allows it to cycle through the parameters every few seconds without you having to manually push a button? Do you find it annoying to have to manually cycle through everything?

Thanks again!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
8eMINI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I installed my yesterday. I'm not sure if it's in the video but the plastic knee trim below the steering wheel removes with three screws (remove the screws and pull) and this makes routing the wires much easier. There is actually a little cubby hole to put the controller box in.

I do wish that they included more parameters (PIDs) to monitor such as AFR, maybe with a software/firmware update.

Overall I'm very happy.
Looks great! I didn't know there was a compartment there, thanks for the tip. I'm very pleased with it too!

Originally Posted by Bananer
Thank you so much for this write-up! I've been looking at installing something similar and the P3Cars device is at the top of my list.

Question - does it have a feature that allows it to cycle through the parameters every few seconds without you having to manually push a button? Do you find it annoying to have to manually cycle through everything?

Thanks again!
You are welcome! As far as I know, there is no option to automatically cycle through the options but the buttons are very easy to press. If you memorize the order of the options, you can cycle to your desired option quickly without having to look at the display. I personally do not mind having to push the buttons manually because I have memorized them in order

Old 05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Bananer
Neutral
Thank you! I must sound so lazy (i.e., "omg, pushing a button takes too much energy!") but what you said makes complete sense.

I am so going to order this. Thanks again!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:06 PM
'10JCW
3rd Gear
Have you used the 0-60 function? Are you using the analog boost option? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I have not used the 0-60 timer (I have used the 0-60 timer on DashCommand and consistently got 6.5 seconds which I thought to be somewhat optimistic) I'll see if I can test it tomorrow night.

I'm not using any of the auxiliary gauge options.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:30 PM
8eMINI
2nd Gear
I am parting out my car and this item will be for sale shortly. Please PM me if interested thanks!