R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Windows won’t stay up

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:32 PM
vbmike
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows won’t stay up

Questions at bottom

Info:

So I have a problem with my 2009 Hardtop JCW. When I hit window up button the window automatically goes to the top but when it gets to the top it then rolls half way back down and stops. Everything I’ve read on here indicates this is a common problem with the calibration of the ant trap feature and the only fix is for mini to update the firmware on the cars computer. The other post also indicated that service would be provided by mini free of charge regardless of warranty status due to it affecting multiple vehicles. I read there were different ways to reinitialize the windows but every method I tried did not work.

So I took the car to the mini dealer in Buffalo NY. I asked in advance to be kept informed of the problem and let me know before performing any service work. They had my call all day Wednesday and never called. By 4PM today (Thursday) I still had not heard anything so I called them regarding the status and they said my car was ready for pickup. When I arrive to pickup my car they had a bill for $150 waiting for me. It says “M Distested vehicle no faults stored, reinitialized passanger and driverside window, retested operation all-ok.” I took my vehicle and left without paying. The manger is going to call me tomorrow.

Questions:

Is this something that is covered under some type of recall or service campaign? Is this something I could have fixed myself? How did they reinitialize the window? I guess I don’t mind paying if this was the only option to get the car fixed but if this is something that I could have fixed myself or if it should be covered under some service campaign then I have a problem with being charged $150 without checking with me first. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The "re-initialize" is done by running the window down, and continuing to hold the switch down for several seconds. (I don't remember if it's 5 or 10 or what.) Then you run the window up and hold the switch up for a similar amount of time.

Easy DIY, and often fixes similar window problems. Usually a very good first thing to try.

Sounds like you were charged the minimum 1 hour shop time for an easy 5-minute fix... :(